Sooo... Who's selling the iPhone4 for the iPhone5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duction, Jan 16, 2011.

1. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I've found that iPhones don't decrease in value quickly. You could wait until the iPhone 5 is released to sell your iPhone 4 and still make the cost of early upgrading your phone and perhaps have some money left over.

3. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

There would have to be some major improvements to the next iPhone for me to sell my iPhone 4. I love this phone.

4. duction thread starter macrumors 6502a

duction

Here in the uk most of the phone recycling websites are offering around 55% of the phone price from original price! So buy June won't be worth much. Unless you sell it online via eBay etc..

5. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I'm selling it in June. Will buy iPhone 5 at retail price.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have no idea how you guys do it. Sell the iPhone 6 months before a new one, then buy the new one and use for 6 months, repeat.

It just seems like so much of a hassle, etc. I'd rather just have my iPhone for those six months while I wait.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

When i sell in June I will have had it for 12 months. I won't be going without an iPhone. I will buy 5 then sell 4. Hopefully recoup at least half of the expense.

8. Neverbepeace, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

It all depends what features the iPhone 5 will have. I find it ridiculous to sell your iPhone 4 now and have not one piece of information regarding the iPhone 5 (If it's even called that)

Plus, the new speed tweak makes my iPhone 4 feel like iPhone 6 on steroids:cool:

9. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

As I bought my iPhone sim free, I will probably sell a month or two before the next phone is due to be released and go back to my old 3G for the time being. OR, if O2 decided to drop their capped data limit, I will consider a contract again but I doubt that will happen. I like paying £20 a month for 600mins, 1200 txts and unlimited data.

I have extended warranty on my phone too, so that will be a bonus for anyone who's buying. Not to mention my phone is still in mint condition

10. duction thread starter macrumors 6502a

duction

I don't fancy selling my iPhone on eBay after the horrific storys of being robbed and loosing your phone and money, but don't know if I can go 5 months now without my iPhone!!!!

11. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I'm selling my iPhone 4 this June for an iPhone 6.

I bought a 3GS on a 2 year contract, which when the iPhone 4 came out I sold to a friend, and was able to put some spare money into a sim-free iPhone 4 outright. I am selling my iPhone 4 to my mum for a reasonable amount (£350 or so) and will be elegible for an upgrade to the iPhone 5. I will then save the money from the 4, so that I can sell my 5 next June and get the new iPhone instead.

Provided that the yearly product cycle continues, this is a sustainable model, and will (eventually) earn the difference back - I seem set for about £50 excess every year from this year.

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Agree. This phone looks amazing and does everything I want. Unless there's a larger screen, notification led, and some major improvements. I'll be content with this phone.

Also, I wouldn't mind having options for 2012 if I'm no longer under contract.

13. WeegieMac, Jan 16, 2011

WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Anybody who uses these rip off merchant phone recycling websites as a gauge for how much a phone is worth is conning themselves.

These places exist to make a fast and excessive profit from people who are in need of cash quickly. Sure, a lot of people will use it to ditch old phones, but it would be naive to believe that people in financial difficulty aren't taken advantage of by these people.

The iPhone 4, like the iPhone's before it, will hold most of their value in the year after launch. I would say, quite confidently, that the iPhone 4 would fetch £300, maybe even £350 when the iPhone "5" launches, especially if sold unlocked/SIM free.

The best way to sell is via a site like Gumtree, where the buyer comes to your home. You show them to a room you are happy for them to see (ie: not a lot of electronics if you're a paranoid person who thinks they'll come back when you're not home and rob you), and have someone with you while the transaction takes place. People who conclude private sales in super market car parks, while not always stabbed/robbed/ripped off, tend to do so because their own paranoia sees them refusing to allow "strangers" into their home, when in actual fact it's safer for you to sell in your home and have the buyer come to you.

I've sold LCD televisions when upgrading to a bigger set, DVD players, and previous iPhone's on Gumtree and had the buyer come to my home every time where the transaction went smoothly and pleasantly. Not everyone is a knife wielding junkie out to rob you.

14. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Those sites are a rip off
    Sell on eBay

I sell mine every year and upgrade to the latest one
    I got £350 for my year old 16gb 3GS last June when I bought my 4

I'll be selling my 4 this June on eBay for £400

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Those phone recycling sites buy your phone cheap and just resell it to make money. You will never get as much as you could if you sell it yourself.

16. duction thread starter macrumors 6502a

duction

17. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I have to agree. Some people just need to have the latest gear, but the people who post the tedious, "Should I buy now or wait for iPhone 5" really get on my tits.

The new iPhone is six months away (end of July), which is half of the typical iPhone lifecycle, so it's still a fair amount of time. These kind of people are never going to be satisfied, it'll always be a case of "should I wait".

The iPhone 4 is the latest model, it's a massive step up from even the 3GS and is blazingly fast and comes loaded with a shedload of RAM. It's not going to die off this year, it's still going to be capable of running the next two (at least) iterations of iOS and will run any app you can through at it for the next couple of years.

The thing I don't get, is that these people will eventually end up missing out on one version of the iPhone anyway, due to the nature of 2 year contracts and a 1 year iPhone hardware lifecycle.

If you want an iPhone and have the money sitting, I say people should go and buy it. This tedious habit of people getting to January and humming and hawing over waiting SIX months, only to ask the same question six months later only with, "Should I sell my iPhone 5 now and wait for iPhone 6", is somewhat ridiculous and I personally couldn't be arsed with the hassle.

18. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I get what you are saying but at the same time i understand the people who ask "should I buy now." the reason is, as a consumer, I want the best value for my money. If i buy an iPhone 4, I'm paying the same price as someone who bought it brand new last June, yet at this point it is starting to get old tech wise. Not a smart move. With apples business model, you will pay the same price for iPhone 4 on June 7, 2011 as you did on June 24, 2010. Obviously, buying it in the second half of its life is not getting the most for your money and therefore it's not smart to make this purchase.

19. duction thread starter macrumors 6502a

duction

Wouldn't bother me but the next phone hopefully won't have an antenna gate :p THAT will be the phone worth keeping for over a year :)

20. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

As I said, the product has a typical 12 month lifecycle. The iPhone 4 has 6 months left as the "top iPhone SKU", which on a product with a 12 month lifecycle is a long time.

My best mate has an iPhone 3G and he just became eligable for an upgrade with O2. He got in touch and asked me when the new iPhone is coming out, and I said, "End of July, as it's refreshed every summer".

His exact words were, "To hell with that. Six months away? I'm away to upgrade". If, for talking sake, the "iPhone 5" launches on July 20th, the iPhone 4 is not going to go from "cutting edge" to "piece of ****" the second the clock strikes 00:01 on the 20th of July.

As I said, I know some people have a burning desire to be seen with the latest gear, but I also upgraded from an iPhone 3G (having bought my phones outright, 3G on PAYG and 4 SIM free from Apple).

The iPhone 4 will easily do me another 12/18 months.

21. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Quite odd, as I notice you're from the UK.

Here in Glasgow I can hold the phone like a gorilla and not drop a single bar, especially in the City Centre. I've never dropped a call except when on O2 in my home, where O2's coverage is utter crap regardless of what phone you're on.

Which is why I'm now on Vodafone. Thank you SIM free iPhone 4. :D

22. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

You missed my point. It is not wise to pay the 199/299 (w/ upgrade) to get a phone that is 6 months old. That was what is was worth when it was new. if apple dropped the price over the life of the product then sure go ahead and buy. But it's ridiculous to pay the "brand new" price for something that is 6 months old. Hence, either get it when it first released or wait til the next one.

23. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I'm going to buy the VZW one and just use two phones for a while.

24. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Oh, I got your point loud and clear. You think as something gets older it should drop in price dramatically?

You're going to be one very confused and left out consumer with that mindset.

I paid £499 for my iPhone 4 from the Apple Store in Glasgow, SIM free. Yes, it's a lot of money for "a phone", but if I was looking to buy an iPhone today and had £499 (well, now £510 after the VAT increase), I wouldn't hesitate in spending it on the iPhone 4.

iPhone consumers, in general I find, are some of the most annoying people imaginable. I've been a Mac user for 10 years (not long compared to some), and the Mac remains my true "Apple love", however I am addicted to my iPhone. However, the attitude of being "owed" something by Apple when it comes to the iPhone and it's pricing is ridiculous.

25. Leet Apple, Jan 16, 2011

Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

i'd say keep your iPhone 4 because i doubt this iPhone will be a giant step up, you can quote this post in june and i guarantee ill be right

Apple put blood,sweat and tears into the iPhone 4 it should be around for another 3 cycles before it gets outdated

and its not even for sure Apple is releasing the iPhone 5 this summer

P.S. Sell your iPhone 4 on Craigslist if you want to make a good profit and be a little more secure with you iPhone