Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
10 mega pixel camera?

Don't belive it surely they would go with a 12mp sensor rather than 10 don't ever recall 10mp phones?

Cuz God knows we need that much resolution from our phone cameras.

"I refuse to buy anything less than 15MP"!
arms.gif

"...why"?

"Cuz...you know, it's MEGAPIXELS"! :D

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
So why not switch to a different screen size? Presumably when the iPad3 is released it will have yet another resolution size. Why couldn't Apple start a transition to a different "standard"? Wouldn't be the first time they have done so. Or maybe they will put some of that "resolution independence" work they had been doing for so long to use.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Then assuming that Apple should have a way for the OS to handle it. It would be a non issue increasing the screen size to 4 inchs as long as the aspect ratio is kept the same.

The would handle it the way they handled the iPad. They would create a new view for whatever size screen they created, and you would create a distinct interface on it. And if they ever add a 7" tablet, they'll create one for that too, and then making a Universal app becomes a real headache.

What's really going to be interesting is to see how they handle Apple TV apps. They won't fit nicely into the mold as-is.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
They could have bumped the screen to 4", kept the same resolution, and take a hit in DPI if they're that worried about fragmentation. Yeah, I still go "wow" once in a while when seeing a new app that really takes advantage of such a high DPI, but a lot more often than that I go "Damn it" when trying to play a game or use gestures on such a small screen. My two thumbs alone take up around 1/3 of the screen....not much real estate left for the content itself. The 200-something DPI a screen like that would produce is still on par with the best android has to offer.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
What utter bollocks. There’s so much wrong with the speculation it’s really not worth addressing point-by-point. It’s far more likely Apple leaked fake specs of this mythical iPhone5 to mislead people.

stuarty2003

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
Singapore
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A404 Safari/7534.48.3)

Fragmentation? How?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The would handle it the way they handled the iPad. They would create a new view for whatever size screen they created, and you would create a distinct interface on it. And if they ever add a 7" tablet, they'll create one for that too, and then making a Universal app becomes a real headache.

What's really going to be interesting is to see how they handle Apple TV apps. They won't fit nicely into the mold as-is.

so you make a new view for 4in?

Really no Apple could keep it as iPhone view. A 4in phone would use the exact same aspect ratio. It just increases the size of the apps made just fine. It would be a non issue.
Are you not understanding that?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
you link provides no information about screen size. Just pixel count. Very different.

That's not true. It provided both. "Screen Sizes and Densities." After looking at the additional documentation, it appears that the definitions are purposely vague and 4" may be included in "normal" or "large".

You can design for aspect ratio. If the aspect ratio is not going to change then it is fine. If you design based on pixel count that is piss poor design.
You have two interface design tablet and phone (much like they have now. iPad and iPhone layouts)

It is piss poor coding and design practices if you based it on pixel count. It is lazy designing if you go that way.

That's ridiculous. Designing "for aspect ratio" makes no sense.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Either the resolution would be the same, resulting in larger controls and lower pixel density, or developers would need to redo their apps to optimize them for the new resolution in order to maintain a pixel perfect interface.

Yeah. Or apple could write code into its iPhone to scale resolution on Apps released prior to the release of the iPhone 5. You're so smart.

----------

Cuz God knows we need that much resolution from our phone cameras.

"I refuse to buy anything less than 15MP"! Image

"...why"?

"Cuz...you know, it's MEGAPIXELS"! :D

15MP phone? That's SO 2015. It's 2GP or nothing.

jimmyroot

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
Basildon, Essex, UK.
Surprised!

I'm surprise that no one has mentioned the 'capacitive home button'. I think we can discredit the source from that claim alone - name a single other Apple product that utilises a capacitive touch button? Answer: none! Why? Because they provide no tactile feedback, and therefore equal the type of sub standard usability that Apple strives so hard to avoid! I call BS :D !

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't forget about liquidmetal. The Engel machines will start shipping this 4th quarter. Of course, this means that Apple can't have a Liquidmetal prototype yet. :)

Also, Apple is working on Liquidmetal batteries that are dope. Let's hope this is the year that Liquidmetal takes off..

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I think there are a number of companies who are taking advantage of consumer desire for Apple news and opinion.

It's not a difficult prediction to say that the form factor will be different, after the 4/4S and 3G/3GS, that makes perfect sense. It will be faster, more capable, and have more features than the current one does.

The number of Mega Pixels the camera is capable of is definitely not going to decrease or even stay the same, it always increases.

The only real unknowns are what Apple will do with the screen and whether or not we'll finally see a version of NFC released to the public. A 3.5" screen makes the iPhone perfect for one hand use, unless you have teeny tiny hands, and a switch to a larger screen would be beneficial in some ways and not in others.

It's far too early to really know much about the iPhone 5, there may still be 5 fully functional prototypes being developed at the same time. Which one will make it to market I'm sure no one outside of Apple knows anything about.

Business Insider is bad for floating rumors that aren't even rumors or printing speculation to garner page views but the Wall St Journal is the absolute worst for Apple whoring in order to get page views.

The WSJ seems like it just makes up crap occasionally because they know Apple followers will read it.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That's not true. It provided both. "Screen Sizes and Densities." After looking at the additional documentation, it appears that the definitions are purposely vague and 4" may be included in "normal" or "large

and as such as I pointed out the entire argument you made is worthless. The infomatoin is not useful for your argument at any more than pixal count. With out defining how they decided what each screen size up up the group it is worthless for screen size.

4" is going to fall in the normal area. No way in Hell is normal going to be under 4". I would not be surprised in the least if normal has moved up to 4-4.3". Try to find me popular android phones with a screen size under 4" good luck because you will need it.

The fact that you some how believe that 4" falls into large on on the chart also tells me you do not understand that chart and screen sizes.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I'm surprise that no one has mentioned the 'capacitive home button'. I think we can discredit the source from that claim alone - name a single other Apple product that utilises a capacitive touch button? Answer: none! Why? Because they provide no tactile feedback, and therefore equal the type of sub standard usability that Apple strives so hard to avoid! I call BS :D !

The cube had a capacitive button, but was roundly criticized. I agree though, there will not be a capacitive touch button on an iOS device

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006

I don't know man. The iPhone is Apples flagship now. It doesn't get old tech, it debuts tech. I would expect the iPhone to have this before any other products.

As for the tactile feedback, wasn't there a patent recently about that very thing?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I posted a poll on this site. And this site has most people who have iPhones because I posted it in the iPhone section.

Here's the thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1258541/

And don't tell me "That doesn't mean most people, just means most of the people on this site." I know that, but again most people have iPhones on this site, so yeah. The poll should be right about most of the people who have iPhones.

If you want, I'd be happy to make a poll on other iPhone sites to prove my theory.

You don't seem to understand how polls works. Self selecting polls such as yours only speak to the population that participated in the polls. Random, scientific polls can be attributed to larger populations.

so you make a new view for 4in?

Really no Apple could keep it as iPhone view. A 4in phone would use the exact same aspect ratio. It just increases the size of the apps made just fine. It would be a non issue.
Are you not understanding that?

You are the one that is not understanding. iOS development does not work that way. That is one reason iOS apps have a higher quality interface. Apps don't just magically scale. There are quality trade offs.

Yeah. Or apple could write code into its iPhone to scale resolution on Apps released prior to the release of the iPhone 5.

Sure they could. That was why I qualified my statement with "to maintain a pixel perfect interface." As I said above, it would result in quality trade offs.

Last edited:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
You know what they say at Business Insider.... if you don't have anything cool to report, make it up.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
1024 x 768 resolution

Keep the iPad resolution then there is no fragmentation.

and mostly the size will be less than 4" to keep it in the pocket.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
That won't happen. I guarantee the iPhone 5 will have a bigger screen since most people want a bigger screen.

I surely hope you're wrong then. You have no statistical survey evidence stating that most people want a bigger screen so guarantee my a**.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
You don't seem to understand how polls works. Self selecting polls such as yours only speak to the population that participated in the polls. Random, scientific polls can be attributed to larger populations.

I agree, but my poll is still right since most of the people who are in the iPhone section have iPhones.

----------

I surely hope you're wrong then.

I'm not. I know I'm not wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.