Space Black owners thread.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pug72, May 17, 2015.

1. clauzzz203 macrumors 6502

2. wxnats macrumors 6502a

My S3 arrives Monday! Anyone have a recommendation for a good brown leather strap that goes well with the space black stainless?

3. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

I have a number of their Nato bands...going to pick this one up when I get my S3 (whenever the hell my carrier finally supports it).
    https://www.clockworksynergy.com/sh...autumn-brown-suede-leather-bands-apple-watch/

(have the S0 SBSS at the moment).

Clockworksynergy has awesome customer service. Very happy with all of the bands I've gotten from them.

4. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Yeah www.hellonomad.com sells leather straps with black lugs that look nice.

5. wxnats macrumors 6502a

Nice, thanks for the recommendations! I like the Nomad bands a lot and I find one on etsy I like too. @fischersd do you have a picture of the strap with your SB stainless watch?

6. wxnats macrumors 6502a

I decided to order one from Nomad. I’d love an Apple link band but it’s not worth almost $600.

7. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

That modern strap is beautiful.

Thanks for bumping this thread!

I have an unopened SB 3 I got today and wanted the silver but didn’t want to leave empty handed. Considering returning it as I love the variety of the bands with the silver over the black.

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The durability of the space black coating is a big bonus though!

9. wxnats macrumors 6502a

That’s what drew me to the space black. I’ve already ordered a black lug set from Amazon.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

how durable is the coating..? I'm worried about it if I go swimming in a pool or the ocean. Will the Chlorine be bad for the coating? salt water? What about showering with it? I know water shouldn't affect it but what about the shampoo etc ?

11. jschu22 macrumors regular

It’s extremely durable. The regular stainless steel will begin showing hairline scratches while a space black will look brand new. Now sand will not be friendly to it at all, and once a scratch does happen, its staying.

12. Jdgrey52 macrumors member

I have the series (0) stainless and you can see the scratches that have happened. I polish it though and some come out.
    I got the spay gray stainless but nervous since my old stainless scratched so often.
    Can I polish out the scratches on the space gray? Can’t decide which watch would be the better option for me. Or which watch shows the scratches less

13. jschu22 macrumors regular

I don’t think you’ll be able to polish them out like the natural stainless, it you also won’t need to as much or even at all. The Space Black really doesn’t develop those same scratches and would need a pretty good hit to show.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

would using one of the cape cod cloths ruin the finish/help?

15. fischersd, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

You really should be sure which watch you have - space gray is aluminum / space black is stainless steel.
    Neither can you polish out scratches on. The colour is a layer put on during the finishing process (aluminum is anodized, the DLC coating on the space black uses the PVD process).

And, NO, you definitely shouldn't try using any abrasive polishing solutions or cloths on the space black watch!!!

I've had mine for over two years, not a mark. If you have scratches, then you've managed to grind it against either diamond or something approaching diamond in terms of hardness. There really is no way to remove the scratches - anything you do would only reduce the thickness of the DLC coating and potentially expose the stainless steel underneath.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

What's nice about the space black stainless, as you mentioned has the diamond like carbon coating, which I never have had any scratches or issues with it remotely. And I see very few posts of who have had scratches on the black stainless. It really is that durable.

If someone scratches the regular stainless model, a Cape cod cloth is amazing and will remove almost all scratches, assuming it's not too deep into the metal itself.

17. manzo_torio macrumors newbie

manzo_torio

Ever since Apple replaced my SB SS (Series 2) watch, I felt that the body color isn't as deeply black as it was anymore.

Here are a couple of photos of mine shone under a white LED flashlight. There is a slight bluish/purple tinge to it. Under outdoor lighting, it also seemed to be much glossier (and therefore looking much lighter/silvery) than the original one I had before.

Can anyone post theirs as well when shone under a flashlight? Not sure if mine's a defect and whether I should return it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

18. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Based off your pictures, I don't think your Apple Watch necessary looks abnormal. The space black stainless kind of has a different hue of black to it depending how the light refracts off of it.

19. friednoodles macrumors 6502

Yep, it's normal and typical of DLC. Mine's the same - shine a bright light like a bright LED at close range and it'll have a deep blue hue.

20. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Anyone order the leather nomad bands with the black lugs before?

Any go to leather bands with black parts or places to get from?

I am deciding between my SS I have still boxed or my SB. Both series 3 and back and forth between them.

21. JSway macrumors regular

What I did was purchase the adapters and leather band separately. Got a very high quality leather band and black adapters to match. I’ll post links when I’m on a computer. I even posted some pics on here.

22. WLS, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

WLS macrumors 65816

thank you for that info. I was concerned that the black stainless steel case would show scratches and was considering a ceramic case but I just couldn't accept the obsolescence factor being such a issue for the electronics. The Space Black seems a good choice for a watch that is going to have to be replaced every few years anyway. Also appreciate the tip on the Cape Cod cloth and found it on Amazon. It's in my cart now.

23. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

Went from SS S0 to SG Al S0 to SS S2 and now SB SS S3 and couldn't be happier with it! :)

24. ihonda macrumors 68000

went from s0 SG, s0 SS, s0 SBSS, s2 SBSS, s3 WHITE CERAMIC to s3 SBSS. something about the SBSS just draws me in.

25. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I went from a s0 Stainless Steel to a S3 Space Black SS and loving it. I had wanted the Space Black all along but got the SS for whatever reason. Now all I need is to find a OEM genuine SB link bracelet from eBay and I’ll have my dream watch.