Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mm201

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
I can't believe no one's mentioned the fact that pirates would be able to defeat the jailbreak check! The only people this affected were paying customers!

By definition, someone who breaks out of jail is not honourable and does not belong in our society. Pirates steal software, jail breakers have ALL at one time or another tried software that they were not entitled to. No exceptions unless they haven't yet had time to illegally download it.
It's always nice to be told you don't exist.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
Still not buying it, nor am I pirating it (And yes, I'm a jailbreaker. Guess what, I don't pirate apps!)

Square Enix has become a cesspool of a company. Gone are the days where I looked forward to the next new Final Fantasy title. Now it seems they're all about making as much money as they can without having to actually produce any more decent games.

I'm still surprised whenever I hear about games like Deus Ex with the Square Enix branding on them. Since when did they own... oh, right, they bought out companies like Eidos and Taito and now publish those companies' games. They're a publisher now.

As for the beloved games Square Enix used to put out that many of us grew up with, I'll never forget them... and Square Enix will make sure of it, because they keep re-releasing their Final Fantasy titles over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. iOS has become a popular casual gaming platform, so they're porting their Final Fantasy games over there... for $15-$20 a pop. The interfaces on them are amateur and nonsensical (let's put GIGANTIC BUTTONS all over the battle screen!) the "updated" graphics look terrible, they offer nothing new (like the GBA/DS ports originally did,) and many of them randomly crash (I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy Tactics.)

I'm curious to try Final Fantasy Dimensions, since it's actually a NEW, 2D Final Fantasy title, except everything I've seen of it makes it look like some amateur-made fan creation, jam-packed with as many references to the older titles in an effort to distract players from the withered husk that the Final Fantasy series has become.

Then there's "All the Bravest," yet another insulting attempt at cashing in on the good old days by presenting us with a half-assed "game" that basically exists solely to encourage players to buy IAP.

Final Fantasy 14 is about ready to come back again for round 2, after Square Enix completely screwed the pooch on that one. I haven't even played the first incarnation of it, since I was already turned off by how uncreative the developers were in crafting a world and races that are almost COMPLETELY IDENTICAL to their first MMO: Final Fantasy 11.

Recently, they ported FF7 to Steam and did F-all to improve it. We've been begging for a complete remake of that game since the PS2 came out, and they still haven't done it, because it would be too much work... resources that could be BETTER spent churning out shovelware for iOS.

Now (here's the part where I actually go on-topic) they're implementing measures on one of their published games to prevent jailbreak users from so much as playing the game they paid for? Because they're afraid of potential piracy? I don't care if the removed it, the fact that they actually thought this was a good idea goes to show exactly how out of touch Square Enix is with the the video game industry.

I will never buy another Square Enix game again.

----------

why is this story still front page news?

Because there's currently no other Apple-related news to post right now?

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
We did not state clearly that the game would not support jailbroken devices...

There is a huge difference between not supporting jailbroken devices and screwing over the users of said devices.

From now on, jailbreakers will have to be cautious and wait to see if the developers of game X hate them or not.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
They have put a notice in the app description now, they should have done this in the first place then they wouldn't need to patch it. Quite a few publishers already do this.

JonBoy470

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2004
No, there are better ways to handle piracy, many of them have nothing to do with technology and everything to do with business models.

I do not condone piracy in the least, heck I do some programming myself and expect to be paid for the work done. That being said, I think when there are overly complicated methods used to combat piracy, it can end up having the opposite effect, because people just want to be able to use <<insert program here>>

In this instance, it promotes piracy, because now people will pirate games from them just to make sure that this code isn't there.

In the case of games like this, there are unique IDs from every phone, they could compare that to the purchased list and see if the app was paid for or not.

But I really don't think it's about piracy at all, I instead think it's about people finding ways around any In App purchases and/or cheating to get better whatever the game might "sell"

Tying an app purchase to a specific device ID wouldn't work because the App Store TOS specifically allows users to load/reload purchased apps on any/all devices associated with their Apple ID. The policy is specifically to prevent users from having to re-purchase apps if/when they get a new or additional device.

The entire point of jail breaking is to get the iOS device to execute unsigned code (which side loaded, pirated app would be). The alternative is to sign the pirated app with a 3rd party key, which would require either a developer account or an enterprise account, which cost money and are known to Apple. Hence the reason pirated apps are generally much less of a problem for developers in iOS than they are in Android to begin with.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Pretty sure the vast majority of app piracy was coming from installous, which got shut down.

Targeting every jail broken device with this kind of stuff is imprudent and juvenile. A lot of us jailbroken iPhone users are just your average Joe's when it comes to buying apps. I'd say I spend way more than the average on apps.

The vast amount of Jailbreakers do pirate I believe.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
A problem is that many people don't realize that you don't need to jailbreak to pirate apps.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Oh I've been through this already...

I never claimed to have stats.

Lol? You don't think I'm right? You think most Jailbreakers buy their apps?

I do, mostly Cydia app's I cannot purchase via the iTunes Store that the iPhone natively lacks. The majority of my friends and colleagues who jailbreak their devices [legally] do not use cracked applications; they want full control and use of the device. Many of us paid full price w/o a contract for a second device; we're developers by hobby and trade and need devices to test on that we don't use regularly.

A few points:

- The first jailbreakers didn't have access to repositories and cracked apps
- App's were limited to web based widgets as the App Store didn't exist until July, 2008, prompting others to model and create an "app store"
- Apple hired a few who helped develop the Installer app and Cydia App store to work on developing the iTunes App Store (Freeman first released Cydia in February 2008 as an open-source alternative to Installer.app on iPhone OS 1.1)
- Hackers were hired by Apple to improve iOS security

Some download pirated app's to test the application's usefulness before purchasing. Many purchase applications that later did not fulfill their needs as the App Store has no method for allowing app's with trial modes (or upgrade pricing). Developer's may produce two versions of their app's; one free with limitations and the other paid and unlocked (in-App purchases also address this matter). Some try the full application first, delete it and purchase if it fulfills their needs.

My knowledge in statical analysis is limited to my work and profession in neuropsychology and other fields, so I cannot state statistics as fact without full empirical statistical research. However, since we're discussing generalizations, I can confidently generalize that the majority of those with jailbroken devices are not pirating applications. :)

m12e

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Either they would reverse it, or some hackers would. Now they also have free publicity.

There's no "would". Even before this happened, there was already an add-on for jailbroken ios devices that would disguise the fact that it was jailbroken from apps.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I do, mostly Cydia app's I cannot purchase via the iTunes Store that the iPhone natively lacks. The majority of my friends and colleagues who jailbreak their devices [legally] do not use cracked applications; they want full control and use of the device. Many of us paid full price w/o a contract for a second device; we're developers by hobby and trade and need devices to test on that we don't use regularly.

A few points:

- The first jailbreakers didn't have access to repositories and cracked apps
- App's were limited to web based widgets as the App Store didn't exist until July, 2008, prompting others to model and create an "app store"
- Apple hired a few who helped develop the Installer app and Cydia App store to work on developing the iTunes App Store (Freeman first released Cydia in February 2008 as an open-source alternative to Installer.app on iPhone OS 1.1)
- Hackers were hired by Apple to improve iOS security

Some download pirated app's to test the application's usefulness before purchasing. Many purchase applications that later did not fulfill their needs as the App Store has no method for allowing app's with trial modes (or upgrade pricing). Developer's may produce two versions of their app's; one free with limitations and the other paid and unlocked (in-App purchases also address this matter). Some try the full application first, delete it and purchase if it fulfills their needs.

My knowledge in statical analysis is limited to my work and profession in neuropsychology and other fields, so I cannot state statistics as fact without full empirical statistical research. However, since we're discussing generalizations, I can confidently generalize that the majority of those with jailbroken devices are not pirating applications. :)

Indeed I totally hear what your saying, but most people are not developers by hobby or trade. Not as good intentioned as you and your friends.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I dont understand why companies do this, as long as they are getting the money for the app. Can someone fill me in on how this works anyway?

They do it to ensure they DO get paid for it.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Oh I've been through this already...

I never claimed to have stats.

Lol? You don't think I'm right? You think most Jailbreakers buy their apps?

Since you just don't seem to 'get it.'

3v61p1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.