Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blastedbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Doth sanity win?

I'm sure it depends on the population. If you go to the Apple Store in the middle of New York City, there will probably be hundreds of people trying to get a phone. But if you go to the Apple Store in a small town, there might only be ten people waiting - in that case, there may not be a need for a line.

Thank you! There is sanity in the forum after all! Your logic is unassailable.

gertzen

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
Denver, CO
Apple Store Renaissance at Colony Park in Madison, Mississippi

Was kind of surprised to see this, but even the Apple store in this small suburb had a long line waiting as of 1:30am:

36897_405764666217_693911217_4957289_7048832_n.jpg

36882_405764576217_693911217_4957276_1817376_n.jpg

Hopefully my reservation for a 32GB iPhone 4 will get me in the door quickly tomorrow morning!

blastedbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
A few years ago when pre-ordering wasn't an option, standing in line for hours on end for a 3G iPhone was a tolerable experience because it was really the only way to get one right away. Most of the people were nice enough in line, but there's no sugar-coating spending 8+ hours waiting around.

Now that pre-ordering is an option, I look at these photos of people standing in line overnight and I think... I'll never do that again.

Me, personally, I agree with you. I waited in line for the 3G, and it was entertaining (and only about 3 hours). I also once did the midnight release of OS X. Again, was fun.

I hope the folks waiting in line get a kick out of it and get their phone.

It is like back in school when we went down the road at 135mph and started thinking I wonder who serviced the brakes on this car last... I would never do that again, but I am sure glad I had the experience:)

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Then again, they might be saying the same thing about you!

About what exactly? That I am not crazy enough to line up for a phone?

In that case I couldn't care less...

And at the end of the day everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I have mine, they have theirs... And my opinion is that those people are "missing a cup in their cupboard" (German saying).

groovebuster

blastedbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002

And at the end of the day everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I have mine, they have theirs... And my opinion is that those people are "missing a cup in their cupboard" (German saying).

groovebuster

Exactly! They might think that you are crazy because you don't want to stand in line, that you need to get a life, or perhaps, you are missing a cup or two in the cupboard:)

Another useful saying Live and let live. But, we can always go back to Live and let die... (great song!)

Texan78

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Okay, let's say they have 2,000,000 they are shipping or only 300,000. In either case, there are bound to be some that are not quite as good as others. I don't care what company you are. Go back and read both what I wrote and what I was responding to. Not every unit will be perfect, so don't count on your iPhone 4 having brown spots and this and that problem just because some other people's did. I bet there are more people like me who got one that seems to be 100%.

Still using a G4 Cube daily ;)

I wasn't referring to the amount of bad units their may be. I just think it is funny only 600K in pre-orders were taken so people think that is all they are shipping. Let's think about this people. If 600K were pre-ordered then why are people camping out if those are already spoken for? You would have no chance getting one period if that is the case because that are accounted for.

The only thing that is going to keep someone from getting one today is time because there is not enough hrs in the day to get to the demand. I am pretty sure their is a huge supply considering AT&T isn't doing walk-ins until the 29th which is only 5 days away. You know Apple is going to have their fair share. Yall have fun camping out over the hype!

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I hope that if I ever feel compelled to do something as stupid as standing in line overnight to buy a phone that my loved ones do an intervention on me. I can't think of anything important enough to justify this extreme behavior. Well, except maybe to watch Aliens land their spaceship... but that is an extreme situation.

chilidog

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Note: air conditioned room without a chick and knows keyboards better than breasts... virgin! So glad I didn't camp out at my keyboard instead of getting laid.
I'm posting this from my iPhone 4 that Fedex delivered yesterday, laying on the sofa, in an air conditioned room... should have camped out super early at your keyboard and pre-ordered for delivery.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006

groovebuster

And in England the saying is"brick short of a full load" or a sandwich missing from a packed lunch" :D:D

blastedbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
I wasn't referring to the amount of bad units their may be. I just think it is funny only 600K in pre-orders were taken so people think that is all they are shipping. Let's think about this people. If 600K were pre-ordered then why are people camping out if those are already spoken for? You would have no chance getting one period if that is the case because that are accounted for.

The only thing that is going to keep someone from getting one today is time because there is not enough hrs in the day to get to the demand. I am pretty sure their is a huge supply considering AT&T isn't doing walk-ins until the 29th which is only 5 days away. You know Apple is going to have their fair share. Yall have fun camping out over the hype!

Yes, those are good and valid points. You are right, they always planned more than 600,000 because they always planned for walk-in traffic. I probably should have prefaced my comments with "of the pre-ordered 600,000, suppose ..."

Happily, I think we both had good and orthogonal points :)

Long live the Great State of Texas and where ever I happen to be at the moment!

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
POINTLESS GEEKS. JUST PRE-ORDER...I don't get this at all. And whoever thinks that the camping is all part of the experience is a loser geekazoid fanboy!

I already have my phone.. if i was not away i woudl go and sit with people just to talk and shoot the sh**t haha

Texan78

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Happily, I think we both had good and orthogonal points :)

Yep! I know where you were going with your comments and you are correct. Mine were directed to a different issue.

Fact is I was one of the ones who camped with my laptop in the comforts of my house with A/C and my comfy couch and pre-order on the 15th so I don't have to sit in the heat or rain right now for no reason....LoL

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
What part of iPhone 4 did you not understand?

Many people weren't ablt to get through on pre-order so it's either camp out or go without for quite a while. Also, camping out can be kind of fun. I live just down the street from the Palo Alto store. So far the line is longer than any other iPhone launch, but the crowd tonight is made up more of normal people...less geeks, less bloggers, just regular folks who want an iPhone.

So there iPhone 3GS are so crap that they feel the need to queue up and not wait a week or so? Seriously how many of those queuing don't already own an iPhone :rolleyes:

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
O2 in UK looks sold out too

I went to my local O2 store, a queue of 20 people ... the shop hadn't even opened. An O2 sales rep. informed me they had sold out

The nearest shopping centre (bluewater) has 300 units, and a very long queue

It looks like the limited supplies that plagued the iPad are worse for the iPhone4

The UK has multiple Networks selling the phone, as well as 3rd parties (and Apple) .. it does however appear supply is very limited, and the queues long

O2 itself is only selling to existing customers ( http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/wheretobuy.html )

No gettin' pissed on for me!!!! 2 new 32Gb shiny phones coming direct to my doorstep courtesy of TNT!!!!!!!!!!!! They are within touching distance...... Woohoo!!!!!! Good luck to all those queuing.......

Well folks that was a hard wait but at last its in my hand, after 4 years of waiting fro the killer phone and a worty feature set I finally have my first iPhone WoopWoop! Its a thing of beauty! And to all those critics who said they couldnt believe that the phone was square then Im thinking they will eat their words when they get your mitts on one!

Texan78

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
So there iPhone 3GS are so crap that they feel the need to queue up and not wait a week or so? Seriously how many of those queuing don't already own an iPhone :rolleyes:

LoL No doubt! If 2 Million units go in one day we got some people with serious issues....

blastedbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Which is worse?

So which is worse and more in need of a life?

Watching this forum in a lonely room or sitting in line with other people for a just a phone. Hmm... Hard call...

Wait a minute! I am in one of those two groups!

BTW, just what exactly does having a life mean? (That is a rhetorical question, folks.)

Oh well, there will always be people who think their idea is better than someone else's. What is really crazy is thinking other people are crazy because they don't think just like you. What a boring world that would be!

rhetorical : (of a question) asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.