Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Please learn to accept responsibility for your stupid actions. Typically, if you drop something made of glass it is going to break. Now please excuse me while I go sue McDonalds for making me fat...

Ditto. Sorry your phone broke, but it's not the phone's fault. I can hear my mom now "...did the phone jump off the counter?"

One time my pager slipped off my belt clip into a urinal. My job made me replace it, I didn't expect Motorola to give me another because they failed to make them water proof. Take responsibility.

On another note, I installed my Zagg skin yesterday. Screen is still super sharp, it's nearly invisible. Now, it's slightly less slippery too, so those who don't like cases should consider it.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
To be honest, replies like that come across, regardless of the intention, as arrogant and rude. If he hasn't got time to expand a little more on a one word answer then he should just not reply, or employ a secretary to reply on his behalf.

I know it's a 'no bulls*it', honest response but it is beyone awful for this kind of tone to come from the e-mails of a company's CEO. The original e-mail was more than courteous and deserved the same in return.

I totally agree. While its really nice that the CEO (as far as we know) responds to customers I'd rather he didn't bother if its like this. On top of everything else its starting to give me an even worse impression of Apple.

creatz

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
Please learn to accept responsibility for your stupid actions. Typically, if you drop something made of glass it is going to break. Now please excuse me while I go sue McDonalds for making me fat...

Lmao :D

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I totally agree. While its really nice that the CEO (as far as we know) responds to customers I'd rather he didn't bother if its like this. On top of everything else its starting to give me an even worse impression of Apple.

Well on the other hand... they could send you a Cease and Desist letter like some places :p

Crotalus_Joe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
That is not the route I am going with at all. I would agree with you if I actually dropped it.

It was sitting on my kitchen counter and literally (I'm assuming as I wasn't looking at the phone when it fell) slid off the counter and smashed onto the floor.

Nobody else was near the phone when it happened.

I can't remember if it was slanted sitting on something else or not.

And although it seems like I'm not taking responsibility for my actions, my real complaint is that there is no real help in this situation.

the counters in my kitchen are flat, things don't magically "slide" off the counter. Do you have the same problem with plates, bowls and glasses? Maybe you should be talking with the contractor that built the house about this obviously defective countertop.

freejack

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Just want to put in my 2 cents here. I placed the phone into my wooden desk yesterday and strangely enough, it started swiveling and sliding towards the edge of the desk. It stopped before falling off but I just thought it was a weird phenomena so I pushed it back to the starting position and it moved again.

Now I can't vouch for what the op was claiming but I can assure you that due to the super smooth surface of the iPhone, it can very well 'magically'slide off surfaces by itself.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Just want to put in my 2 cents here. I placed the phone into my wooden desk yesterday and strangely enough, it started swiveling and sliding towards the edge of the desk. It stopped before falling off but I just thought it was a weird phenomena so I pushed it back to the starting position and it moved again.

Now I can't vouch for what the op was claiming but I can assure you that due to the super smooth surface of the iPhone, it can very well 'magically'slide off surfaces by itself.

This can either be demonic possession... or that the vibrate motor is going off due to an incoming call/text/email.

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Bright side

Thanks but I think I would've noticed if it was vibrating. Think I'm gonna have to call an exorcist.

It is actually defaulted to vibrate whether silenced or not. I always turn vibrate off on any iPhones I have previously synced, but it comes vibrating out of the box, so that might have made it slide.

I feel awful for you, but at least Mr. Jobs gave an honest, timely answer, and $199 is not so bad of a replacement price.

Wish you good luck with the replacement.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

It takes two to tango. Everyone knows Steve Jobs' quirks. E-mailing Steve is a crapshoot, and more likely than not you get a blunt, terse response. This isn't a surprise to anyone anymore.

If you don't want a flip response, don't send him an e-mail. Apple has other, more traditional channels for handling customer issues, while few other companies offer ANY sort of direct communication to the CEO by end users.

At the end of the day, Apple is a company like any other. They aren't a charity.

tlbwriter

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
In that picture one can almost make out what would appear to be 4 points of breakage, almost like it was squeezed till the screen shattered..

You sure your "friend" only witnessed it fall and didnt try to see how strong the glass was?

Are you saying someone could shatter the glass simply by squeezing the phone?

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Here in Atlanta there is a guy on Craigslist that fixes broken iPhones with the shattered glass. And yes, he is for real. A friend of mines broke and I drove her because she didn't want to meet up with a Jeffrey Dahmer type alone.

He fixed it in about 20 minutes and did an excellent job. Now this was the iPhone 3 but I'm sure they will be fixing the 4's before long.

I bought my 3GS from Best Buy and pay the $15 a month just in case this should happen. My BlackBerry was broken by a toddler snatching it out of my hands before dropping it on a stone patio.

TaylorBoi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Steve Jobs is truly a ******** with these lame ass responses. Good way to treat ya loyal customers jobs

WeylandYutani

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Cool story, bro.

Return it and get a Droid.

and finally: you are holding it wrong.

p.s. it's a non-issue

p.p.s. blackberries taste better than :apple: - ask Adam and Eve.

droeun

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
The toughened glass is to resist scratches, not drops. Your phone drops & somehow it's Apple's fault?

WeylandYutani

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
This can either be demonic possession... or that the vibrate motor is going off due to an incoming call/text/email.

Dear steve,

My iPhone is possessed by a malicious Demonic gremlin.

Is that covered under the warranty?

Best regards,

W

Reply:

Nope. Stay tuned.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
To be honest, replies like that come across, regardless of the intention, as arrogant and rude. If he hasn't got time to expand a little more on a one word answer then he should just not reply, or employ a secretary to reply on his behalf.

I know it's a 'no bulls*it', honest response but it is beyone awful for this kind of tone to come from the e-mails of a company's CEO. The original e-mail was more than courteous and deserved the same in return.

Very well said.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
To be honest, the $199 replacement is pretty reasonable considering the unsubsidized cost. Blows big time, but I'd just suck it up if I were you.

And when you get your new one, duct tape it to your hand.

I agree i don't know of any other $600 phone that if you break they offer you a $199 replacement. Does anyone else?

dark1x

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Cool story, bro.

Return it and get a Droid.

and finally: you are holding it wrong.

p.s. it's a non-issue

p.p.s. blackberries taste better than :apple: - ask Adam and Eve.
Did you somehow just attempt to suggest that RIM's Blackberry phones are worthy replacements for iPhone? Android? Definitely a great competitor, but Blackberry? Awful devices that I'm forced to deal with at work every day. I can't imagine a more convoluted, ugly, slow, and terrible UI in a "smart" phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.