Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
SoundGuyDave said:
You know, apple will release a G5 powerbook eventually, just keep your pants on. In the meantime, is there anything you feel your powerbook can't do? Powerbooks are just fine and they will get an update eventually. And on a side note, anybody that celebrates their "Mac birthday" is a dork.

Yah and a 486 is just fine too. Who cares that its slow....it gets the job done eventually. :rolleyes:

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
Roller said:
The chances of a G5 PowerBook at WWDC are about equal to the likelihood of a blizzard in San Francisco the day of the keynote.

I'd be pleasantly surprised by an announcement of a dual-core-based PowerMac, but I'n not holding my breath.

On the other hand, I hope that Steve announces a Tiger update that takes care of the bugs in the current public beta. :)
Hmmm, June '05, Freescale dualcore sampling must be approaching, my TiBook is starting to look a little tired, maybe new PowerBooks aren't so farfetched (crosses fingers).

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
SoundGuyDave said:
You know, apple will release a G5 powerbook eventually, just keep your pants on. In the meantime, is there anything you feel your powerbook can't do? Powerbooks are just fine and they will get an update eventually. And on a side note, anybody that celebrates their "Mac birthday" is a dork.

Yeah, my 05 Powerbook can't encode that newfangled codec in reasonable time.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I'm just happy it's Steve and not Phil. That Phil Keynote was very meh.

Here's hoping for iBooks with bigger graphics cards and faster hard drives--two things that would speed them up a lot more than just a processor bump.

Also looking forward to iTunes 4.8 and some suprise new feature if there is one. I'm tired of new features that cripple (like 4.7.1's 5-user-a-day limit and 4.X's less user burn limit from iTMS purchases).

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
While I would doubt he would say they are working on 10.5, it would be hilarious. Think about it. Longhorn won't be out till Xmas 06 (maybe) and MS is really trumpeting its features like it exists today.

Tiger is already here and they are moving on with 10.5. Yep. Funny.

But Jobs will instead trumpet how Tiger is here now and has more today than Longhorn will have. And they can't copy fast enough. And they are selling it at record levels. It's all about developers now. And so on. I think Jobs wants Apple to bask in the sunshine on this one. And deservedly so.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Object-X said:
This is a big misnomer. Why are you saying current Powerbooks are lagging behind PC counterparts? People seem to forget that Powerbooks are only an inch thick; the only Windows laptops with this kind of form factor are Intel 1.6GHz Pentium M chips which are nowhere near as powerful as the standard P4 running at 3+GHz. The fact that standard P4 chips are being used in a "laptop" is a bit of a stretch too; those machines are two inces thick and weigh over 10lbs; not exactly a laptop. You can't compare these "desktop" replacements with Apple's Powerbooks because they are really differen't machines in every respect. Apple could make a portable form factor machine that was two inches thick and ran a G5, but it wouldn't be as elegant as a Powerbook.

All they'd have to do is take the 17" iMac and attach a hinge and keyboard. It'd be done and it wouldn't be a whole lot bigger than the large Toshiba or HP laptops.

SoundGuyDave

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2005
Again

Do you people really think Steve Jobs has a G5 powerbook, or the ability to make one, and he is just holding out on you? Anyway, I have not found anything that my PB can't do in a reasonable amount of time. And comparing a G4 to a 486 is just plain ignorant.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Lepton said:
Most likely dual core machines shown or introduced. Second most likely: "We are experimenting with Cell architecture..."

Not likely the PM have recently been updated... unfortunately.

I doubt they'll be any PB 15" either. :-(

BTW - is anyone surprised that SJ will be giving the keynote speech?!! This is a significant conference.

If steve talks anything about 10.5*, I'll throw up... Tiger has just been released for God sake. Apple better leave the next OS/X few years like they said previously... osx is stable enough to allow a more signficant upgrade. I'm not saying that Tiger isn't good, because it is, but the calendar year release of OSX is too much now.

* I doubt he will

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Not a surprise of course, but great to have it confirmed. With the relatively minor updates to the PowerMacs recently, I wonder if Jobs is holding off for a large (read: 3 GHz) announcement at WWDC. :cool:

Regardless, new iPods would be cool, and whatever else isn't released already by the time WWDC rolls around (i.e. iMacs, eMacs, iBooks...)

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
"Apple announced that Steve Jobs would be kicking off the WWDC Keynote on Monday, June 6th 2005 at 10am."

^^ Duuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :p :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
Yah and a 486 is just fine too. Who cares that its slow....it gets the job done eventually. :rolleyes:

Wow, that's pretty ignorant.

Anyway, I see dual-core G4s being more likely than a G5 in a laptop, but I guess we'll wait and see. I don't know if anything revolutionary like that will be ready in time for WWDC, but it sure would be nice!

As for a G5 PowerBook, yeah, it would be nice, but a server-class chip shoehorned into an enclosure like that doesn't happen overnight - look at the engineering they had to do to get the G5s into the xServes. That's why you don't see many Xeon and Itanium laptops kicking around. ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Stella said:
If steve talks anything about 10.5*, I'll throw up...

Don't worry, it won't happen - Apple has already indicated that Tiger will be the last of the frequent OS updates. Expect nothing on 10.5 for at least a year. Or maybe Jobs will revolutionize OSes as the world knows it and release OS 11... :eek: :cool:

pudrik

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Milton, FL
New iBooks are overdue.

Possibly some new media computer, update to MacMini... or other thing that's been in the works a long time.

Powerbook update. Lets face it, a G5 powerbook is not only unlikely now, it's unlikely ever. More probable is a new chip without the heat problems of the G5, and that's prob a a little ways off. I'd be happy just to see powerbook FSB speeds double.

More likely updates will be focused on developer and high-end products... screens, PowerMacs, new software...

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
I shall second that!

JDOG_ said:
I'm just happy it's Steve and not Phil. That Phil Keynote was very meh.

I travelled all the way to Paris from Melbourne, Australia to see that Keynote. Was extremelly exciting simply due to the unveiling of the iMac G5, BUT phil was definitely no Steve. Just not the same presence.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
My best guess:

June '05 WWDC: All about Tiger
June '06 WWDC: Intro to 10.5
May/June '07: 10.5 ships
Dec 31, 2007: Longhorn is released to manufacuring :)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I guess him being a keynote in my mind wasn't a big surprise. I hope to hear some good news like everyone else. I am really looking at getting a new Powerbook in the near future. I would like the performance to be as close to my G5 as possible.

Whatever he has to say, I am sure I will be interested!!

JoshH

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
There's going to be a TON of self congratulatory Tigerspeak. Go for it, the OS rocks, now just wow us all with some hardware.

It's coming fast! (we are an optimistic bunch, huh?)

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
aswitcher said:
My guess is

c) pro apple BT mouse ;)

oh yeah
what about that two-button mouse? a explanation of the switch from one button to two could take up at least half an hour.

i don't think iPods will happen at a developer's thing. they are mostly consumer products.

i'm thinking new powerbooks, duals though, no g5. or some other pro hardware

i'm a little surprised/scared that we haven't heard anything from apple insider yet. it might all just bragging about tiger. and maybe a fix to some bugs

T.Rex

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Toronto, ON
Object-X said:
So, a 15.4" Dell Inspiron 6000 running a 1.6GHz Pentium M running Windows XP compared to a 1.6GHz G4 Powerbook running OS X? I'll take the Powerbook for performance any day of the week;

Well then you're nuts. Desktop PC's built with a Pentium M 1.8 and 2.0 compete with, and in some cases beat an AMD FX-55. A Pentium M 1.6 would easily outperform a G4 1.6.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Object-X said:
Powerbooks are not lagging behind anything, except the price; but you get what you pay for.

I agree that Powerbooks are not lagging. And perhaps I read what you wrote wrong, but they are reasonably priced too. Yeah, yeah, Dell sells "cheaper" notebooks, but by the time you configure a Dell (or whatever) it is usually the same price as the Powerbook.

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
T.Rex said:
Well then you're nuts. Desktop PC's built with a Pentium M 1.8 and 2.0 compete with, and in some cases beat an AMD FX-55. A Pentium M 1.6 would easily outperform a G4 1.6.

that's a bold statement on a site like this. have at em boys...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.