Still Running OS X Yosemite? Beware, iTunes 12.8.1 Breaks Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this week released iTunes 12.8.1 for OS X Yosemite up to macOS High Sierra. The minor update resolves an issue that prevented iTunes from streaming media to third-party AirPlay speakers, and contains other minor improvements.

[​IMG]

However, anyone running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 specifically should avoid updating to iTunes 12.8.1 for now, as users across the MacRumors Forums, Twitter, Reddit, and Stack Exchange report that the update somehow breaks Safari 10.1.2, the latest version of the browser for OS X Yosemite.

After updating to iTunes 12.8.1, some users have encountered the following error message when opening Safari on OS X Yosemite:
    One user on Stack Exchange believes that the iTunes 12.8.1 update may update the MobileDevice.framework in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ to a version incompatible with Safari 10.1.2, but the cause is not entirely clear. We've flagged the issue with Apple and asked if and when a fix will be available.

In the meantime, workarounds include using an alternative browser such as Firefox or upgrading to a newer macOS version -- of course, those still using OS X Yosemite likely don't want to or can't upgrade. Updating to iTunes 12.9 is not possible on OS X Yosemite, as that version is only compatible with macOS Mojave.

Update - How to Fix

Some users have been able to fix Safari by opening the Finder app, clicking on Go > Go to Folder... in the top menu bar, typing in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ and dragging MobileDevice.framework to the Trash.

Article Link: Still Running OS X Yosemite? Beware, iTunes 12.8.1 Breaks Safari

2. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Is there an iTunes 12.6.x with App Store support for Mojave that works?

3. tywebb13, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

tywebb13 macrumors 68020

If you need to reinstall Safari 10.1.2 for Yosemite you can get it here:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...w6j4t386ym6q8d5p1g5m/Safari10.1.2Yosemite.pkg

4. pika2000 macrumors 601

I’m surprised people are sticking to Yosemite. It was not a good macOS release. Stock apps like Mail were hugely problematic and crashing for me. It’s not until El Capitan that I enjoyed using my Mac again.

5. Kimba macrumors member

Kimba

Did Apple pull this update? I saw the update last night (December 13) but didn't install it. Tonight, I saw the badge was still there indicating an update but when I opened up the App Store and clicked Updates it disappeared! (See the screenshot below.)
    Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.25.26 PM.png

Please note I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6.

6. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

What on EARTH is Federighi getting paid for? Ever since Bertrand Serle and Scott Forstal left Apple, and Craig took over, Apple software has been plagued with one bug or critical software flaw after another.

7. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

Oof. This is a painful one, hopefully resolved shortly.

8. chineseguy38 macrumors member

We want an update version of iTunes 12.6.5 for Mojave!!

9. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

There is help, I know 100% sure lots of people help you out here, including me, BUT...

You should start fresh again instead of complaining and pointing fingers, you are a newbie and should act responsible and and accountable for your mistake not to have a backup.
    Your files/work should still be there as long as you didn't wipe your disk, reinstalling the OS version you had prior to updating should leave your personal data on your disk, a reinstall does not wipe your data as long as you don't partition/formatted the disk.

10. Scerby, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018

Scerby macrumors newbie

Reinstalling the OsX is not necessary!!
    I had the same problem with Safari yesterday... After 2 hours of finding solution (safe boot, combo update etc.) I've just completely deleted the file "MobileDevice". The path to this file is in Safari's error message: "Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice"

After deleting this file (on your own risk) Safari successfully opened with the last session, all bookmarks etc.

I recommend to move this file to another place or just rename it!

11. R10k, Dec 15, 2018

R10k macrumors member

There have always been bugs, there will always be bugs.

12. pika2000 macrumors 601

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Apple only supports the current and -1 release of means Mojave and High Sierra. This is affecting Yosemite, released in 2014.

If you want a desktop OS with extended support lifecycle, then use Windows 10 enterprise. Even each version of the regular Windows 10 Home releases is only supported for about 2 years.

13. Hawkeyepilo macrumors newbie

I tried this and it worked for me. Have you seen any side effects of this? Thank for the help!

14. Scientifichick macrumors newbie

Scientifichick

Thanks for this work around! I deleted this file and my Safari is back to working like normal. I am running OsX Yosemite 10.10.5 and haven't upgraded to Mojave yet, gotta do the back up first.

15. Linda25g macrumors newbie

I'm not very tech but there is no private frameworks folder in my library

16. Osxguy macrumors member

Osxguy

Does anyone else get tired of being an unregistered beta testers for a trillion dollar company?

17. flygbuss macrumors regular

flygbuss

I think Sierra is also still provided with security updates. El Capitan received updates until Mojave was released.

Yosemite was released more the 4 years ago. Even if you upgrade to El Capitan now you’ll get security updates from this fall.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2018 ---
    Also, apple provides regulary updates and new OSs’ for free. So you’ll get new features and functionality without paying anything.

18. Infinite Vortex macrumors member

Infinite Vortex

Well, while I might agree with the sentiment of what you're saying you're wrong. If Apple are going to not check a software update against all the OS versions it will install on they should narrow down the OS versions it will install and/or update on. Period! If you make anything install on Yosemite you're saying it will work. This is Apple's bad.

19. poppt987 macrumors newbie

Hi
    Can anyone tell me how to access 'PrivateFrameworks'? It doesnt seem to be in my Library. Thanks

20. flygbuss macrumors regular

flygbuss

Fair enough.
    They shouldn’t have provided the update for Yosemite if it’s not compatible.

21. Scerby macrumors newbie

Not yet. Safari and iTunes seem to running fine after deleting this file.

22. davejayirl macrumors newbie

I can confirm that works, as does renaming the MobileDevice file.

23. bms204 macrumors newbie

Would you be willing to do a step by step instruction guide for how you did this? Im excellent at following directions, but terrible at anything beyond the basic use of a Macbook. If so, thank you in advance!!!

24. Claire B-I, Dec 15, 2018

Claire B-I macrumors newbie

I can't find this file path in my finder..." /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice"

Can you tell me how to access it? I also searched for a MobileDevice and nothing pulled up. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2018 ---
    Where do you go on the Mac to find the Private Frameworks? Do you just find this in the "Finder" by searching top right corner? When I did this nothing came up? thoughts?

25. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

Hmmm? I pay for my OS updates upfront when I buy a Mac or iOS device. The OS and its updates are bundled in with the cost of the device. That’s why Apple’s terms state it can only be installed on Apple hardware when it (clearly) can be installed on custom hardware.