Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Has anyone installed this yet? Any problems? I'd try it myself, but seeing as my SuperDrive just got replaced i'm wary of it breaking again... :D

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
One just showed up in my Software Update. It's numbered 2.1 .

This is on a original Core Duo macbook.

EDIT: Beaten to it

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
It showed up in my Software Update. After downloading it's in the Utilities folder. You have to run it yourself I believe.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Got impatient with myself and went ahead with the update. I'm just ripping an album now to check that everything's still working and it seems fine.

Incidentally it'll require a restart. :)

buzlink

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2004
Kansas
Yup I just submitted this for news.

Didn't find anything on Apple website. I downloaded it, and closed Software Update and browsed to /Applications/Utilities/ folder and it automatically launched the update without me clicking on the icon. Not sure what it did, but drive seems to be working OK. Maybe it updated it so it plays scratched CDs better, as my drive suxs at playing anything with a minor scratch.

sionharris

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
at last!

my superdrive has had awful problems importing and burning cds.

fingers crossed this fixes it...

miradu

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2003
grrrr

it bricked my drive.

I wanted to restart my computer, and since I don't do this often (yay macs!) I ran software update. Software update finished and quit, so I then pressed restart.

As my computer was in the shutdown process, the superdrive updater app launched and started without user intervention. It installed 66% of the update, before my system killed the process in the shutdown.

Now my superdrive refuses to take any cds/dvds, and system info shows that it's there, but has no serial number. The updater app says there is no drive to update.

yay. what a day.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
it bricked my drive.

I wanted to restart my computer, and since I don't do this often (yay macs!) I ran software update. Software update finished and quit, so I then pressed restart.

As my computer was in the shutdown process, the superdrive updater app launched and started without user intervention. It installed 66% of the update, before my system killed the process in the shutdown.

Now my superdrive refuses to take any cds/dvds, and system info shows that it's there, but has no serial number. The updater app says there is no drive to update.

yay. what a day.

It started up automatically after you closed Software update?

I don't think mine did, but then I wasn't plugged into the mains. It just gave some message about needing to be plugged into AC power before it would try updating.

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
hmm, i just replaced the superdrive on my dual 1.8 G5 (pioneer D106). would have been a little annoyed if it could have been fixed via firmware update.

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
well I have a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro 15" and it refuses to install.

I too have had issues burning CD-R media at any speed over 12x even with TDK certified 52x cd-r media.

Any idea why my computer doesn't seem to need the update?

Well i forced the archive to install to my desktop and tried to run the Updater...no dice. I found this in the Read Me though..."If you meet the system requirements and cannot update the firmware using this program, contact your local Apple Authorized Service Provider or an Apple Store retail location."

WHYYYYY IS my superdrive broken and the utility won't work on my machine, that is listed.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
it bricked my drive.

yay. what a day.

Goes to show you, if it ain't broken, don't fix it....

cirby

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
A lotta updates...

Kinda makes you wonder if there's some new hardware coming for those pieces of software...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.