Survey Explores Why iPhone Owners Haven't Upgraded to iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2018.

1. pl1984 macrumors 68020

I am being serious, too bad I cannot say the same of you.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2018 ---
    You don't have a lot of room to talk with responses like the following:

"Wow, just wow.... I don't really know if this is a comedy act or you actually being serious.. I hope comedy act.."

2. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors 6502

H.E. Pennypacker

Said no one ever.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

Well then that's sad because the only person who can answer that if the things I listed would be beneficial to you is ----> you.. I believe the people who passed on the X are missing out on the things I listed. If you don't then that's up for you to decide as nobody can answer the question you want answered.
    And my comment to you was not an insult is was a legit question to your asking the same thing over and over and over again just because you didn't get the answer you wanted.. See above why no-one can answer your question..

4. jecowa macrumors regular

From current rumors, it doesn't look like it's coming. The iPhone 8 maybe the last TouchID iPhone except for maybe an upcoming iPhone SE.

5. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

My 6S continues to work fine at no additional cost.

Yes, I have to live without Animoji... somehow I have managed to will myself through that tragic hole in my life. :rolleyes:

6. pl1984 macrumors 68020

What have they done for you? What are you able to do with your iPhone X that you would not be able to do on an iPhone 8? As far as I can tell...nothing.

7. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Hmm, i thought I just said why? The areas to left and right of the box are now usable whereas before it was blocked off so it couldn't be used. Now the wifi, and carrier are placed up there. Works for me.
    Guess you'll have to get an android phone as the notch is here to stay! Better run for the android phone soon as those folks are copying apple notch now too lol.

8. raqball macrumors 68000

Exactly.. So what can you do on your 8 that can't be done on a 6? Nothing! So why did you get the 8? Do you like wasting your money?

9. nydennis macrumors regular

I used to update my phone every two years. I haven't upgraded since the 6s because the phone companies now require you to buy the phone in full. Now that I am paying full price I am in no hurry to upgrade. It seems like a lot of people who I know used to upgraded every two years now are waiting longer and longer.

10. pl1984 macrumors 68020

I continue to ask you the same thing over and over and over and over again because you have yet to answer my question. Stop trying to act cute and just answer the question. If you have no answer just say so.

BTW, I am not questioning your decision to buy an iPhone X because you like those, or any other, things.

11. Superhappytree, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Alright, I shouldn’t have insulted but seeing as you’re 52, how is it that you can’t grasp the fact that someone doesn’t think the X is as good as you think it is? You seem very immature for your age. Also, I have not made anything up. I gave you some visual proof that I’ve owned the X. You just choose not to believe it and keep on claiming that I’ve made it up. I don’t know how else I’m supposed to prove to you that I’ve owned one. Doesn’t matter anyway because you still won’t believe it so this has just been a waste of my time. Carry on saying to the people who don’t like the X (who have owned one) that they haven’t used one then if it makes you feel any better about yours.

12. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Again this does not answer my question.

BTW, I own an iPhone 6. Care to guess why?

13. Chester Stone macrumors newbie

Chester Stone

Uh, no, "My iPhone works fine" does not mean or suggest that "there were no standout features." Those are completely different statements.

Please, Juli, don't jump to conclusions; report the news and leave value judgment to the reader.

(Noticing this isn't the first time this has happened, and it's always Juli: the "cute" mall robots and the "frivolous" investor questions are other examples of such editorialization.)

14. nadador macrumors member

I'd love to hear your reasoning for this, but I'd advise you against trying to explain. Based on my years in marketing research, I'd say sample size of 1,500 (presumably done with other controls for good sampling) is HUGE.

15. raqball macrumors 68000

For the last time, and it really can't be that hard to grasp.. No one can answer your question but yourself! You want someone to answer why the X is a better phone for you.. Think about that for a second.. See how absurd it sounds?

You are the only person who can answer the question you are asking yet you refuse to answer why you bought the 8 over the 6 when they run the same OS, are the same size and do the exact same things.

16. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Why are people so surprised that the iPhone X isn't selling all that much?

I mean, come on.

1) Last year was supposed to be an "S" year. "S" years sell far fewer phones than non-"S" years, because people on a two year upgrade cycle (of which there are many) just bought a new phone the previous year, in this case probably an iPhone 7. Apple really should have released the X this year, and released the iPhone 8 as the 7S. Why the heck did they change things up?

2) The iPhone X is massively different than any previous iPhone. People resist this much change. They may eventually come around, but I can see the hesitation. It's not like TouchID in the 5S where they simply added a brand new feature; this time they took TouchID away and replaced it with FaceID. The Home Button that many iPhone users have been using for a decade is gone. Folks are understandably concerned.

3) Sticker shock. That $1000 barrier is a tough one to get past psychologically, even if the actual cost difference isn't that high.

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Does Piper Jaffrey do this for other flagship phones? Did they ask why people didn’t upgrade to a Galaxy S 8 or Note 8? Or if they’re going to upgrade to a Galaxy S9?

18. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

Love my X. Facial recognition is amazing. Don't miss finger id. Camera is always what gets me to upgrade.

Always amazed at the great resale value of iPhones. You can always get good bucks for the older one, so new one always sets you back far less than the 1k+ value.

19. raqball macrumors 68000

After using the X for a while I don't think I could ever go back to a button having iPhone..

20. pl1984 macrumors 68020

You told me that I'm missing out. So I'm asking you: What am I missing out on? What can those things do for me? So far you haven't answer my question.

21. raqball macrumors 68000

I've answered it 4 times.. Now you are just playing games. To the ignore list as you don't really have anything of value to add to a conversation.

22. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

I'm an X user. I told anyone who has asked me that it's not worth the price. Not only that, most people who have skipped the X for the 8 or 8 Plus have stated to me that the X is a joke at $1k and up. And I agree. I foolishly bought the hype and desire for something modern looking.

23. pl1984 macrumors 68020

You've responded to it 4 times, you have yet to answer it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2018 ---
    Without saying one way or the other whether it's modern looking this is a perfectly valid reason to buy the iPhone X if that's your criteria.

24. NapoleonIV macrumors member

"44 percent of respondents said they hadn’t upgraded because their iPhone works fine, suggesting there were no standout features compelling them to purchase a new device, while 31 percent said the iPhone X was too expensive at a starting price of $999."

This is not a valid analysis. Saying that one’s iPhone works fine does not suggest that one wouldn’t like new features. My iPhone works fine and I will keep it until it stops working. Then I will be very happy to upgrade to whatever is equivalent to the iPhone X at that point. What this shows is that Apple makes reliable, long lasting products. This is a good thing.

25. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Apple solution.........slow down their iphone with software and force people to upgrade.......It was working great till a 14 year old caught them.