Survey Explores Why iPhone Owners Haven't Upgraded to iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2018.

1. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

The costs of the iPhone now equals a three year cycle for my needs. Nothing against any of the Apple iPhones features, three years works.

2. stevemiller macrumors 68000

This is exactly what popped into my cynical mind. If Apple sees the reason for waning upgrades is "my current phone is fine" that puts a high incentive on making those devices "not fine"

3. redgreenski macrumors regular

I have not upgraded because of the screen size and the notch.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2018 ---
    Vertically yes. Horizontally no.

4. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Which is precisely why I love my 8+. The extra width is very noticeable for the types of usages I have. I'll think about Face ID maybe on Gen 3. :apple:

5. glowplug macrumors member

glowplug

Let it go indeed, I will stop using an iPhone before I switch to Face ID.

6. john123, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

john123 macrumors 68020

john123

Hey Basic "Great" Guy: read those two posts that I quoted. They're right, and you're dead wrong. Actually, a great deal of polling is done with much less than 1500 people. And here's why:

Indeed! Here's a neat trick for the didn't-major-in-stats people out there. Assuming your sample is properly constructed*, a crude but reasonable approximation for the margin of error is: 1/square root(N). So here's what that approximation yields for a variety of sample sizes:
    • 100 10.00%
    • 200 7.07%
    • 300 5.77%
    • 400 5.00%
    • 600 4.08%
    • 800 3.54%
    • 1,000 3.16%
    • 1,200 2.89%
    • 1,500 2.58%
    • 2,000 2.24%
    • 3,000 1.83%
    • 5,000 1.41%
    • 10,000 1.00%
    • 20,000 0.71%
    • 50,000 0.45%
    Notice how quickly you hit diminishing returns. This is why very often in polling, you'll see sample sizes of 600-1000. Now, if you want to think about how accurate your estimates are for particular sub-groups--say, men under 30--then that is an argument for sampling more people. But overall? 1500 is much more than sufficient.

ALL THAT SAID: from what little we know, this research isn't particularly good for a couple reasons:
    1. It makes a common market research mistake of confusing stated beliefs with behavior. Asking people why they did what they did or did not do something can work in the right circumstances, but it can also be badly off base. There are better ways to approximate behavioral decisions. For anyone who's actually read what I've typed, one example worth Googling is conjoint analysis.
    2. The question—which I Googled to be "You currently own an iPhone yet you didn't upgrade to (what Apple believes is) the best Apple phone yet, the iPhone X. Why?"—is phrased poorly. That happens a lot unfortunately. It gives only 3 options and an "other" option. Given an explicit option and an "other" option, people tend to pick an explicit option unless they feel strongly about an "other" option. Moreover, this phrasing ignores the possibility that there may be multiple considerations at work, each with different levels of importance. [Of note: I haven't been able to find the original research note email. It's possible the question was open-ended and the response options you see are the coding from that open-ended response, which would be better...but doesn't fix the key problem in point #1).
    I can think of better ways to do what Olson wants and purports to do. As described, this question is kind of useless--but not at all because of sample size.

* "properly constructed" = representative of the underlying population. Easier said than done. Could write a separate even longer post on this one, but I don't want to go on that tangent unless someone wants us to take it there.

7. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

The biggest reason is people are too lazy to upgrade. Even though iPhone X truly is a revolutionary device packed full of compelling features, gorgeous design, improved security, and the iPhone of the future, some people will never appreciate they are missing out on incredible new technologies.

8. Think creative macrumors regular

I have a iPhone 6s +. Other than battery life, it's just as great as when I first got it. However, I've played a fair amount in store with an X. I like the slimmer bezels, and the hand feel way more. Will I upgrade to a new phone in the next year? Yes. I'll be picking up whatever the x 2 is, and upgrading the battery on my iPhone 6s + to be my new music only player. Do I think that I would need to upgrade, versus just replacing the battery and going another year with my three year old phone? No, I do not. If I was being super thrifty, I'd honestly either just get the next SE, or a smaller 7. Phones have truly matured, and I don't think having the latest and greatest is as "cool" as it was a couple of years ago. Honestly, if it wasn't for iMessage, I'd probably wait six months and just grab a Galaxy s9.

9. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

Actually, you really haven't. I went back and read your back and forth. But you guys are talking past each other. So let me rephrase his question the same way you sort of evaded his: why to you is the X such a worthwhile upgrade?

Holy cow. Not only is there no evidence to support this claim--it's downright insulting.

10. rjbruce macrumors regular

I guess I fall into the too expensive category, although it's more lack of promotion. I just needed two phones and one line when I upgraded (passing older down to the kids) and they had a buy one get one on the 8 and 8+. If the X had had the same offer, I very likely would have purchased two of those, but I couldn't justify more than double the cost for two Xs when they have nearly identical hardware. The promo made this a no brainer for my situation.

11. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

I agree, the X is a stellar device but unfortunately I only have so many dollars. I had saved up the money and I was all ready to pull the trigger on the X but then I saw another product (Sling Studio) and decided to invest in that and some cameras instead. My iPhone 6+ is performing good enough for me so I’ll stay with it at least through the fall.

12. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I’ve done okay on the S8+ and will soon be getting the S9+ when I trade in my S7 Edge. I think it’s possible to have an OLED display that doesn’t bother people’s eyes or trigger migraines, and since Apple has been made aware that this happens, we can hope they will do what it takes to adjust the next batch. I think you’re wise to wait. I found that display difficult to bear after awhile. I’m going to hold onto my 8 Plus as long as it lasts because I like it very much. I liked my 7 Plus, too, and would have kept it but once it was out of warranty and showing signs of battery trouble I decided trading it in would be a good move. And I did want the option of wireless charging.

I’m thinking this may be my last iPhone. It will hopefully last me long enough to finish up with my current circle of friends at school. Then we and our kids will be scattering to other schools and other social groups after their graduation. I won’t need iMessage anymore and can move on to Pixels (unless they get over $1000, too) or a mid range Android.

I can afford phones over $1000. I just don’t want to pay that anymore. I think it’s nuts when they don’t do anything more for me now that they weren’t already doing since the iPhone 5 days. The cameras are nicer, but the camera in Pixel 2 is the best I’ve ever had in a phone and it cost me under $750.

13. Allen_Wentz macrumors member

The iP X is brand new. I think it is a spectacular device but am waiting a year for v2. My iP7 works just fine in the meantime.

14. raqball, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

And I'll give the same answers.
    1. Large screen in the same sized form factor as the 6, 7 , 8. This for me was huge as I've always wanted a larger screen in a smaller phone.
    2. faceID. I was skeptical at 1st but after having used it, it is just as good as touchID and having faceID allows # 1 to happen
    3. Gestures. Again I was skeptical but after getting use to them they are brilliant and I can't ever see myself going back to a button having iPhone. This also allows # 1 to happen
    Whether or not these are important reasons for someone else to upgrade is up to them to decide. I don't know someones workflow, how they use their phone or what's important to them in a phone.

For the reasons I listed above, I firmly believe that anyone who passes on the X, without at least trying it for a week or two 1st, is missing out. That's my opinion. My opinion is not a 'as a matter of fact' statement as some here like to twist opinions into.

15. Allen_Wentz macrumors member

Admittedly I do not own a X yet, but my fingers are frequently damp enough or in gloves to where touch ID fails. I look forward to face ID.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

As to my comment about sample size in and of itself, I will take my forum lumps and admit I was wrong, even though we don't know it was properly constructed. My comment also included my thoughts on how poorly the questions were constructed, even though I failed to state such in a clear manner. That was largely where my "is a joke" part of my comment came from.

17. EdT macrumors 68000

EdT

I thought that the actual screen of an X was about the same size as a 6 or 7 plus because there isn't a bezel. I don't know that for certain but I thought it was part of the presentation back in September.

18. Allen_Wentz macrumors member

Just curious: what iPhone apps are you using that currently suffer from inadequate RAM?

19. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Let's be real here, it's features offer no significant innovations. It's more of a bell's and whistles type of device. Being the "latest and greatest" device has it's appeal, even if it's frivolous in reality. Based on a value for your money perspective the 8 and 8 plus are the better buys. People shouldn't be surprised that the X isn't the blockbuster device they thought it would be, it's very niche. Apple knows exactly who the X is for. This is the company that sold a $17,000.00 gold watch after all. If it's new and shiny with an Apple logo, it will surely sell. Is it a breakthrough? Not really.

20. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

I agree. But it also can lead to buyers remorse because looks ain't everything.

21. Babygotfont macrumors regular

Babygotfont

Eye bought the EyeFone10 and feel like the bottom barrel duchbag that I am

22. Wubsnap macrumors newbie

Wubsnap

I owned the 3GS, 4S, 5S, 6S+, now the 8+ (which I consider as basically a 7S+). I am waiting for the "XS+" or whatever equivalent second generation largest size of X is. I follow the number one rule of Apple products - never buy the first generation, unless it blows your socks off so much you're prepared to give it some leeway for product issues, or there are no alternatives.

So, I would have bought the X if there was no 8+ - but I wouldn't have liked the idea.

I'm not pessimistic, or behind the times - I'm an engineer and a realist. Apple are a great company, but their engineers are just as human as me - not all design shortcomings will be obvious in all use cases, even after extensive testing.

23. Squirrelxb macrumors newbie

Yeah, too big.

24. doctor-don macrumors 68000

DUH!
    Are we all in the 1% club?

25. Altis macrumors 68030

Nothing that matters all that much to most people, though.

For $1000 you could go on a trip and/or take up one or more hobbies, even. Way more interesting ways to spend that money that on a phone with a slightly different design, but that still runs the same OS and does pretty much the same things.

Also, most iPhones were "the iPhone of the future" for an entire year. ;) Not a very long future.