Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EatinPonies

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
"11 percent of respondents switched to Android for better prices"

I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. It was 29% switched *to* Android for better prices. It was 11% switched to iOS for better prices (which I find hard to believe...).

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I wish Apple would see that 29% of this survey switched due to price. If they released a successor to the SE that was between $499 - 600 they could sell even more.

Is that particular screen size what’s important to you? Because you can get an iPhone 7, which will have updated components, right now for $549 directly from Apple. Well within your stated price range.

psapp

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2018
Comparing iOS to Android isn't really the correct comparison to make. Only Apple devices run iOS, many thousands of phones/tablets run Android.
I recently switched from Android (Galaxy S8+) to my first iPhone (8 Plus), I think they're comparable within the US market at least. I know what you mean though, not all Android phones are created equal.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I recently switched from Android (Galaxy S8+) to my first iPhone (8 Plus), I think they're comparable within the US market at least. I know what you mean though, not all Android phones are created equal.

Welcome. How has it been for you so far?

Reactions: ErikGrim

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If iMessage with the same reliability and security came to android I would give it a whirl. As it stands. I’m stuck with iOS forever.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
These surveys are almost useless because people that have already switched will justify their decision for switching, even if they don't really believe it.

People never make a decision and then want to admit they were wrong. They'll do that after a long period of time.

Talk to someone that ever bought anything. "OH IT'S GREAT. I GOT A GREAT DEAL!!"

They could be taken to the cleaners, but they have to justify it to make themselves feel like that made the right choice.

Reactions: pipis2010

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Comparing iOS to Android isn't really the correct comparison to make. Only Apple devices run iOS, many thousands of phones/tablets run Android.

Thousands? Really? No, no where near close, 50? 100?, 200?. maybe
[doublepost=1535059440][/doublepost]I'd like to see what more apps those who chose switching to Android means. There are more than enough apps in both eco-systems, but there might be some niche categories that are underrepresented.

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
Well, I switched away from iOS when iPhone 4 came out. Ugly phone with an OS that already was starting to feel stale. I loved my Windows Phones after that, but sadly those are no more. Now, I'm on a cheap Android (P10) and quite happy about it. My wife's got an iPhone SE but I must say I really loathe iOS, it feels like it did back on my 3GS, just insanely more complicated in a bad way.
"Ecosystem"? Meh, same apps on both sides. iMessages? Who cares? Apple Music, no way Jose.
If I didn't earn my living on Apple stuff, I'd be totally Apple free by now.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Well, I switched away from iOS when iPhone 4 came out. Ugly phone with an OS that already was starting to feel stale. I loved my Windows Phones after that, but sadly those are no more. Now, I'm on a cheap Android (P10) and quite happy about it. My wife's got an iPhone SE but I must say I really loathe iOS, it feels like it did back on my 3GS, just insanely more complicated in a bad way.
"Ecosystem"? Meh, same apps on both sides. iMessages? Who cares? Apple Music, no way Jose.
If I didn't earn my living on Apple stuff, I'd be totally Apple free by now.

What’s wrong with Apple Music?

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
How does this work, did 71% switch to Blackberry or Nokia?

"18 percent of customers who switched mobile operating systems went from Android to iOS, while just 11 percent dropped iOS for Android. "

Reactions: centauratlas

Luciano79

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
I don't understand those figures. Perhaps I am 'holding it wrong' ?

Now you can get an android one good quality phone with very adequate specs for less than 200 bucks like the Xiaomi A2. I started trying custom launchers and other customizations and i find now iOS very limiting, after tweaking defaults and installing dns66 my experience with Oreo is pretty good so far.

Reactions: ROGmaster

AKDub

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
When my 6S dies I'll probably give android a go purely out of boredom with iOS. It's a crappy reason, but I can easily switch back if I don't get along with android.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The "Better prices" category is laughable. These people know nothing about Total Cost of Ownership.
[doublepost=1535062562][/doublepost]
When my 6S dies I'll probably give android a go purely out of boredom with iOS. It's a crappy reason, but I can easily switch back if I don't get along with android.

Yes, PLEASE do share your experience with this. But for a true comparison, you'd need to switch to multiple Android devices before you can draw an accurate comparison.

1) Moving contacts from one device to the next.
2) Moving apps and settings from one device to the next.
3) Time spent troubleshooting problems.
4) Raw user interface experience (eg. digging around for options you need to change).
5) Connectivity to other devices and accessories via Bluetooth, etc.
6) Experience with receiving calls while playing games or have music playing in some third party app.

Lots of things that could make or break the Android experience compared to iOS.

Reactions: centauratlas

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
How does this work, did 71% switch to Blackberry or Nokia?

"18 percent of customers who switched mobile operating systems went from Android to iOS, while just 11 percent dropped iOS for Android. "
"While there were a small number of switchers among those surveyed, 71 percent have never switched at all, remaining loyal to their operating system of choice."

Reactions: Bonte

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
The "Better prices" category is laughable. These people know nothing about Total Cost of Ownership.
[doublepost=1535062562][/doublepost]

Yes, PLEASE do share your experience with this. But for a true comparison, you'd need to switch to multiple Android devices before you can draw an accurate comparison.

1) Moving contacts from one device to the next.
2) Moving apps and settings from one device to the next.
3) Time spent troubleshooting problems.
4) Raw user interface experience (eg. digging around for options you need to change).
5) Connectivity to other devices and accessories via Bluetooth, etc.
6) Experience with receiving calls while playing games or have music playing in some third party app.

Lots of things that could make or break the Android experience compared to iOS.

Why would this person have to switch to multiple devices to draw a comparison?? They could compare their 6S to whatever they switch to... also not sure where your list came from specifically...

DocPenguin

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Florida
The only reason I don't use Android is privacy. I'd otherwise love to pick up a Note 9.

I wish the privacy-oriented Android distributions, with all things Google removed, would gain more traction.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Most are marginal... except 'better user experience' and 'pricing'

A win for us, on user experience,, a loss on pricing...... Can't have it all. Probably 'neck and neck'

I would have included the 'software updates available from mobile carriers' for Android as well, because Apple pushes out updates for iOS, where as its up to mobile carriers to push out to Android..

This would have made a bigger difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.