Survey Explores Why People Switch Mobile Operating Systems

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 23, 2018.

1. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I have a 7+ and would like to go smaller, so I would rather have an updated SE for that price. I was most productive on Apple’s smallest iDevices (iPhone 5 and iPad Mini 4), so I would love to see updates for both.

Thank you though.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Android club users in the survey were all drinking Mad Dog 20/20 and got confused about what OS even means.

Apple club users were drinking John Adams and writing their own survey questions while they collaborated with each other via FaceTime from their secure IOS sandbox.

3. Tech198 macrumors G5

I stuck john Adams in Google and up came the 2nd U.S president 1797.. lol I think i like this one. :)

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

More people switched to Android for "better customer service"? Seriously? Apple isn't perfect for sure but customer service from Google, Samsung, etc. is a flaming train wreck.

5. Koh Phi Phi, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

Koh Phi Phi macrumors regular

Koh Phi Phi

Last year I switched iOS for Android (Galaxy Note 8) for the extra features: better multi tasking, proper file system, full flexibility on my main screen layout/look, mouse compatibility, etc.

Best decision ever. Once the learning curve was done for, Android materialized as a superior OS. That was my experience at least.

The UX is less consistant and the Apps themselves are less polished than in iOS though, but the extra features listed above tilt the scale to the Android side.

6. Luciano79 macrumors newbie

Luciano79

1) Moving contacts from one device to the next.

Buy davdroid, using your own caldav/cardav server works very well

2) Moving apps and settings from one device to the next.

You can use Google drive. Also you have access to filesystem.

7. NoNothing macrumors 6502

People that consider resale prices as part of purchase price?

8. cmaier macrumors G5

People who are subsidized (via carrier, or work, or various other sources) or who take into account total cost of ownership.

9. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

10. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

Depending on the manufacturer.... Yes.

11. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

The cult of the Apple Store turns many people off. It's really bizarre walking into a lot of them.

12. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

i rather telco free and cheap.But gaming mobile iphone powervr more good gpu

13. psapp macrumors newbie

It's been good, I appreciate the polish and uniformity across the OS, something that was lacking in Android.

14. BlargKing macrumors 6502

BlargKing

My reason was simple. iPhones got more expensive. No way I'm ever going to spend 1000$ on a phone. Apple wants to make a decent 500$ phone, I'd be happy to give it a chance.

15. now i see it macrumors 68040

No survey required. There's only one universal reason why all people switch: they're fed up.
    (only to find out after the switch that the other side ain't so hot either).

16. fourthtunz macrumors 65816

fourthtunz

Maybe because its not as visible or easier to forget?
    Im sure many of us don't think of that but I do, that and how easily the iPhone integrates with my macs.
    For some it all about the price..which with monthly payments the differences are negligible if you ask me.

17. fairuz, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Goes to show that the people on this forum aren't in the ordinary.

If this survey is even legit. I have no idea why someone would switch to Android phones for "customer support" when it's basically nonexistent. Hard to even find community support because there are so many different models, and the OS isn't identical across them. Was such a nightmare helping my friend recover data from his Galaxy.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2018 ---
    That's actually one reason I use an iPhone. You can get an older iPhone for less money than a high-end new Android phone (I don't count low-end cause those are trash), and it's still better. Buying an old Android phone isn't really an option. But idk if others view it this way.
    Maybe they thought it meant that the updated software runs faster. Cause iOS updates almost always slow down the phone.

18. fourthtunz macrumors 65816

fourthtunz

I don't think that is Apples target audience.
    Most of us want the best iPhone and those aren't priced much higher than androids that don't integrate
    with macs nearly as well. Then there are all the other things about android that I don't want.
    Then when you consider the monthly payment for the best iPhone is almost the same as the best androids why
    would an iphone user bother?
    If you're paying cash your only route if you want an iPhone is used or the SE..
    the new 6.1" LCD looks like a viable option as well.

19. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

Seriously, it's one of the best customer services, with super nice Apple stores to go with it, vs one of the worst.
    They didn't get more expensive. They offered one extra-expensive model. But yeah $500 won't buy you an iPhone unless you get an old one like I do.

20. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

In some cultures/countries even moderately expensive items (like iPhones) are treated as status symbols. So people might be buying more expensive phones just to show that they can afford them (and then some of them come to MR and make claims like "only people who can't afford iPhone buy Android phones").

21. clauzzz203 macrumors 6502

When your OS is so bad that downgrade is a feature

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm surprised there is no category for privacy, that's probably the biggest reason why I switched to Apple.

23. mib1800 Suspended

Did you just say you switched to Apple due to "false sense of privacy" :)

24. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

No I said part of the reason I switched to Apple was because I feel they value my privacy much more than Google does.

25. ani4ani macrumors 6502a

....forgot in this case Consumer Reports is a legitimate well respected publication that is relevant and matters.
    It’s probably because it matters to the 71 folks on this site, but for the rest of the planet, no one gives a ......
    Given that sales of iPhones are 10 x Mac sales, at least 9 iPhone users in 10 don’t have a Mac to integrate with, so that can’t be an issue to the vast majority