Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firedoug

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Personal choice on security, but I feel comfortable used it for a year in on Android. But this is how it get the predictions ironed out. When first installed on IOS it did not have my contacts accessed and it could not figure out my friends name, until I turned on contacts support.

bahndoos

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Is it just me or is Swiftkey incredibly good (and much better than Swype) at guessing correctly words when swiping across the board real fkn fast? Like where you might even miss intended letters?

Maybe its the rainbows and pixie dust effect...:D

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I can't find the Swype setting for full access....does that mean they can't see what I type like Swiftkey if I enable full access...

I am paranoid and don't want a 3rd party to see what I am typing so the warning was alarming, but I can't seem to find full access setting in swype, so I am hoping they are still sandbox'ed so I don't have to worry.

Anyone with insight, or have I just missed it?

OzzyOzman

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
I used to really like Swiftkey on my old Android phone but I'm not liking it on iOS 8 for some reason. Could type way faster with Apple's old keyboard. Wish they had an option to remove the word prediction stuff as its annoying to look at.

I'm thinking that Swiftkey would be really good for iPhone 6 and 6+ though as the screen is larger. On my 5 it's a pain in the ass...constant typing mistakes.

HouseofG

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Installed SwiftKey and it gave me the same issues as Swype...no keyboards.

Gave SwiftKey full access and it worked perfectly.

Installed Swype and it broke all keyboards again.

Deleted Swype and SwiftKey and Standard keyboards worked fine.

Ditto. I think Swype is taking Swiftkey down with it.

----------

Yeah no keyboard for Swype or SwiftKey, they just dissapear. Using iPhone 5s with GM build

Delete Swype as a system keyboard and Swiftkey will work fine again.

----------

How safe / secure is Swiftkey? They want access to Gmail and have full access? I.e. they can store key strokes like credit card info? passwords? seems much no?

From what I can tell, when you enter passwords you will get the standard Apple keyboard instead of Swiftkey (as a security feature).

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
One of the many "features" that Android users loved to criticize Apple users about....and now that its available, hardly anyone will use it, just like on Android.
LG users don't need to worry about it. Swype+ is now built into the LG stock UI.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
Not a fan of Swype and SwiftKey is better but I'll be sticking with stock....No way I will be able to type faster with either.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Does swype have full access by default, because I can't find the setting anywhere. Or is it closed off in its own sandbox. I know it has predictive text, but hoping its more secure than Swiftkey asking for full access... anyone?

prophecyc2

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
The only problem i see with the keyboards is the fact that they don't auto lock when opening a message

AttilaBorbo

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2013
Downloaded both SwiftKey and Swype. Definitely can swipe faster than type--but to be honest I actually like the stock keyboard.

One issue though, if I'm using either of these two third party keyboards and open up Messages and starts typing, the last message is always off screen and I'm seeing the previous few messages above that. I have to scroll down to pull up the last message into view. The default QuickType keyboard doesn't have this issue. Anyone else seeing this?

malevolant

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Boston, MA
installed Swype earlier tonight and started testing it. In Messages whenever I open up a new message, or click Messages from the home screen and start "swyping" the text doesn't show up. Not until I actually click inside the text box does it work.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Downloaded both SwiftKey and Swype. Definitely can swipe faster than type--but to be honest I actually like the stock keyboard.

One issue though, if I'm using either of these two third party keyboards and open up Messages and starts typing, the last message is always off screen and I'm seeing the previous few messages above that. I have to scroll down to pull up the last message into view. The default QuickType keyboard doesn't have this issue. Anyone else seeing this?

Yes and it is very annoying. I hope this is quickly fixed.

Tfalsetta

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
help no Mic

now I understand with third-party keyboards Apple does not allow the MIC button to appear... However does anyone know what using a third-party keyboard how in the world you would enable the speech to text abilities?

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
I used to really like Swiftkey on my old Android phone but I'm not liking it on iOS 8 for some reason. Could type way faster with Apple's old keyboard. Wish they had an option to remove the word prediction stuff as its annoying to look at.

I'm thinking that Swiftkey would be really good for iPhone 6 and 6+ though as the screen is larger. On my 5 it's a pain in the ass...constant typing mistakes.

Press and hold on the globe. Turn off predictive with the switch.

HouseofG

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but for those having the blank keyboard issue with Swype, see if this fixes it for you. Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Guided Access OFF. This is off by default, but maybe many, like me, turned it on in case their kids were using the phone. That would explain why seemingly a minority of people are experiencing the issue. Worked for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.