Carrier T-Mobile $30/month Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MuGeN PoWeR, Oct 13, 2015.

1. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

So i am thinking of porting my number to t-mobile $30/month plan which includes 100 minutes and unlimited texts with 5GB of 4G data. so i want to know that will i get LTE service on my iphone with this plan? and what if i receive calls does it count as minutes as well? and what happens after 100 minutes are finished? Thanks

2. rigormortis, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

yeah i have this plan.

you get LTE at full speed

you get music freedom

calls placed and received count as minutes.

forwarding is not available ( like for google voice )

calls placed with wifi calling or on other devices count as minutes

when you run out of data, speeds are reduced to 64jbps, but you still get music streaming and speed tests.

if you run out of minutes you must maintain cash in your account. additional minutes are billed at 10 cents a minute

don't be in such a hurry to ask for mobile hotspot. t-mo says its an extra fee. but it showed up anyway

you should keep cash on the account each month to cover any minutes over 100. a cool thing is if you have $10 cash on your account, and autopay comes around , t-mobile will only take $20 because you already have $10 in your account

you get unlimited text messages

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

I'm sometimes on the fence about if i get music freedom or not. sometimes it doesn't seem like i do. but all i have to do is burn up my data plan to see that the speed tests and music is still streaming

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

train your friends to call you using facetime audio so it won't burn up your minutes

your local store might not have the sim in stock, because they pushing straight talk, so you will probably have to buy the sim kit from their website

5. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

that sucks that the receiving calls also count as the minutes. and yes i already got the sim today. i am just waiting for my credit to finish on AT&T gophone and then i will port in my number.

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

have you asked gophone to unlock your phone? or you already using an unlocked one?

7. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

already using it on unlocked 6s plus.

8. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

so you cant enable call forwarding to another number? This option is also disable in AT&T gophone by default but if you call their help line they enable call fowarding. What about Visual Voicemal? Does this work?

9. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

yeah you get visual voice mail
    i don't think u get forwarding at all, because a forwarded call counts as 2x minutes, thats why they ban it

yeah you get forwarding to voice mail! but you dont get forwarding your phone to a completely different number

when you switch sims, try powering down the phone and powering it up without a sim, and then wait for it to unlock and go to to the home screen before inserting sims. this seems to help the iPhone with stuff like visual voice mail, wifi hotspot, voice over lte. etc

or do this after you switched to t-mobile if you notice anything missing

10. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

t-mobile says you need post paid to get wifi calling.. but you get that on walmart as well

11. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

okay. i will only insert the sim when the number is ported.

12. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

when i was messing around with sim cards last year i had to turn off the phone and insert the sim once in a while to make sure wifi calling, volte , hotspot was enabled.

it took a day or so before hotspot came up

oh man i almost forgot!!! the important thing MuGen !!!!! your phone number IS NOT your go phone account #.. to port you need to call AT&T or go to an AT&T store and get your real go phone account number and pin for porting!!!!! if you use your telephone number IT WONT WORK

you have no idea what your go phone account number is. you have to call them to get it

13. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

haha thanks for the heads up. but i already have my account number for porting my number :p i think this is pretty good plan. What do you suggest?

14. August West macrumors member

I'm thinking about upgrading to this plan.

Does anybody know how I would go about upgrading to the $30 plan from my current T-Mobile prepaid voice/text only plan? Do I need to go to Walmart and buy a sim kit then call T-mobile or can it be done online? I want to make sure I don't lose my current phone number which I've had for decades.

15. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

I've heard stories where you cant port a t-mobile prepaid plan to a t-mobile walmart plan. this would involve having to call customer service.

i've heard you would have to port it to another carrier and then port back

requires more research

you would still need to buy the sim card from walmart

16. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

this plan is only for new activation only. i think your best bet is to port your number to some other network and then port in back!

17. doboy macrumors 68000

I've been on this plan for few years now so I get full LTE speed, but I think new accounts get 8 MB/s throttled LTE per fine print.

18. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

i can only tell once i am ported and using this plan :p

19. TiBook550 macrumors member

Not true. I just switched to this plan from AT&T late last month and I get full LTE speeds where available. My last speed test pulled down 35 Mbs. Music Freedom is a definite money/data saver as well.

20. MuGeN PoWeR thread starter macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

That is impressive. I am going to port as soon as the money ends in my go phone lol

21. magicman32, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

magicman32 macrumors regular

magicman32

I've been on this plan since April 2013. The conflicting information is weird but I definitely DO NOT get free streaming with Google Music. I'm already at 4.2 gigs this month since I wanted to try streaming at highest quality. Bad idea.

Anyway, the minutes thing, a way around that is to download the free Vonage app which allows for free outgoing calls and uses your actual phone number.

22. Eileen89, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Does the $30 prepaid plan include all the coverage area of their postpaid network? Or is it limited?

I'm still on their old $10/year Gold reward plan that I only use a few times a year. If the $30 plan has a wide span of coverage I wouldn't mind trying it.

23. TiBook550 macrumors member

Yes. It's nationwide coverage. It's a pretty good deal if you don't really use a lot of minutes and having 5 GB of LTE data with free music streaming is fantastic for $30 a month. Just remember that T-mobile's coverage, for me at least, is not as great as other providers and their indoor coverage is abysmal, at least in my area.

YMMV.

24. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Thanks. Do you have an older iPhone or the new 6S's? Reason I ask is that the newer ones include Band 12 which is supposed to improve indoor coverage with T-Mobile. I have a Sim Free 6S Plus on order which also includes band 12, so I should be ok.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Haven't received calls always counted as minutes on US providers? I can't think of a time they haven't.