Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
You just had to refill more money and they charge you $0.10/min until the plan restarts. Did you even bother reading the terms? Lol

I had the $30 prepaid plan. So there wasn't a 10 cents a minute.

Unless its postpaid and they have your card on file.

I had it happen to me once, I called them and they wanted to charge me $30 to refill it. That basically reset the monthly date of when they normally charge me. So if they usually charge me on the 10th of every month, and say the 25th of this month I had to refill it, from then on, my renewal date is the 25th, instead of the 10th.

I no longer have that plan.

Last edited:

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I had the $30 prepaid plan. So there wasn't a 10 cents a minute.

Unless its postpaid and they have your card on file.
Yes there is. That's the plan I've been using for the last 2 years. My wife sometimes goes over 100 min and I always put extra $10 or so into the account.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Yes there is. That's the plan I've been using for the last 2 years. My wife sometimes goes over 100 min and I always put extra $10 or so into the account.

Then you're probably right, but when I had it, that wasn't the case. I switched to a family plan, paying $50 a month (for my line) for unlimited call, text, data. It includes 5GB tether/hotspot data.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Here's the proof

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445311685.156314.jpg

pkcable

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
Philly
I LOVE this plan, it's what I have on my T-Mobile account also. iPhone 6 Plus works fine on it, BUT I mainly use that phone on my Verizon account (I have a legacy unlimited account). On T-Mobile I use a One Plus Two Android phone and before that I had a BlackBerry Passport both worked fine. LTE speeds were faster than Verizon (in most places, except where Verizon has XLTE), and the 6 Plus was also generally faster on t-Mobile. The plan comes with 100 MBs of Hotspot, and I was told music freedom does NOT come with the plan. Just did some testing and MBs do seem to be going up while streaming Pandora. :(

divergirl

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
I LOVE this plan, it's what I have on my T-Mobile account also. iPhone 6 Plus works fine on it, BUT I mainly use that phone on my Verizon account (I have a legacy unlimited account). On T-Mobile I use a One Plus Two Android phone and before that I had a BlackBerry Passport both worked fine. LTE speeds were faster than Verizon (in most places, except where Verizon has XLTE), and the 6 Plus was also generally faster on t-Mobile. The plan comes with 100 MBs of Hotspot, and I was told music freedom does NOT come with the plan. Just did some testing and MBs do seem to be going up while streaming Pandora. :(

Have you actually tested the hotspot limit though? Because I spent over ten hours in a car the past few days and ended up tethering my iPad to my iPhone to use in the car. I racked up around 800mb over hotspot and it worked splendidly. It didn't cut me off or slow me down or anything.

I noticed rather quickly, however, that this plan has no roaming, not even for voice and text. The interesting thing to me is that I very rarely dropped down to Edge speeds during my trip. Rather I would go straight from LTE to No Service.

My old Sprint flip phone phone had full bars for voice and text the entire trip, so I'm thinking of keeping the Sprint phone active on our family plan for emergencies, since our provider (Ting) provides roaming onto Verizon when there is no Sprint coverage. I could keep the phone tucked in the car in case I get stranded somewhere and there's no T-Mobile signal. It'd only cost me $7.50 a month after tax, which isn't bad at all since I'm already saving so much with T-Mobile.

I would like to point out that the T-Mobile plan has no outgoing caller ID. My previous wireless provider gave us outgoing caller ID at no extra charge, but within a day of porting my number to T-Mobile it's changed from showing my name to displaying WIRELESS CALLER. Which isn't too big of a deal but I wanted to point it out in case it's a dealbreaker to anyone.

Also I've just been using the Vonage app for all outgoing calls, since it spoofs your number and is free. I have no problem keeping my incoming calls under 100 minutes when I do this.

Reactions: pkcable

pkcable

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
Philly
Have you actually tested the hotspot limit though? Because I spent over ten hours in a car the past few days and ended up tethering my iPad to my iPhone to use in the car. I racked up around 800mb over hotspot and it worked splendidly. It didn't cut me off or slow me down or anything.

I noticed rather quickly, however, that this plan has no roaming, not even for voice and text. The interesting thing to me is that I very rarely dropped down to Edge speeds during my trip. Rather I would go straight from LTE to No Service.

My old Sprint flip phone phone had full bars for voice and text the entire trip, so I'm thinking of keeping the Sprint phone active on our family plan for emergencies, since our provider (Ting) provides roaming onto Verizon when there is no Sprint coverage. I could keep the phone tucked in the car in case I get stranded somewhere and there's no T-Mobile signal. It'd only cost me $7.50 a month after tax, which isn't bad at all since I'm already saving so much with T-Mobile.

I would like to point out that the T-Mobile plan has no outgoing caller ID. My previous wireless provider gave us outgoing caller ID at no extra charge, but within a day of porting my number to T-Mobile it's changed from showing my name to displaying WIRELESS CALLER. Which isn't too big of a deal but I wanted to point it out in case it's a dealbreaker to anyone.

Also I've just been using the Vonage app for all outgoing calls, since it spoofs your number and is free. I have no problem keeping my incoming calls under 100 minutes when I do this.

Yes I noticed but did not want to make a big deal of it, less THEY notice. ;) I still use hotspot sparingly JUST incase. ;)

divergirl

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
Yes I noticed but did not want to make a big deal of it, less THEY notice. ;) I still use hotspot sparingly JUST incase. ;)

Yeah I won't be using the feature too often, I think. I rarely take my iPad out of the house. This was our yearly vacation and the most driving we've done in six months, so I think most months it'll be rare for me to hit even 100mb on hotspot, considering I get 200mb of data free on my iPad every month as well... Still, it's nice to know it's an option.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011

what do you mean by no outgoing caller ID? does this mean your number will not showed when you call someone?

divergirl

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
what do you mean by no outgoing caller ID? does this mean your number will not showed when you call someone?

No your number will show up regardless. It's your name that won't be displayed. You know how with incoming calls to landline phones they display a number and a name? That's caller id. My old wireless provider actually let me set a custom name that would show up when I called landline phones. T-mobile prepaid does not offer this feature, so when I call a landline phone my number shows up, but instead of my name it just says the generic name WIRELESS CALLER.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
No your number will show up regardless. It's your name that won't be displayed. You know how with incoming calls to landline phones they display a number and a name? That's caller id. My old wireless provider actually let me set a custom name that would show up when I called landline phones. T-mobile prepaid does not offer this feature, so when I call a landline phone my number shows up, but instead of my name it just says the generic name WIRELESS CALLER.

so if a person has a phone number saved under a contact name then the name will show up right?

pkcable

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
Philly
so if a person has a phone number saved under a contact name then the name will show up right?

Yes then it should work. :)

Edit: it for sure works I just tested it. I have 2 lines, one being that T-Mobile account we are talking about and the other being the Verizon account my iPhone is on. So I made myself a contact on the iPhone and called myself from the One Plus Two (on the T-Mobile account) and sure enough my name came up from the contact I had just entered. :)

Last edited:

divergirl

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
Yes then it should work. :)

Edit: it for sure works I just tested it. I have 2 lines, one being that T-Mobile account we are talking about and the other being the Verizon account my iPhone is on. So I made myself a contact on the iPhone and called myself from the One Plus Two (on the T-Mobile account) and sure enough my name came up from the contact I had just entered. :)

Yeah, the outgoing caller ID I was referring to is only relevant to landlines; cell phones just about never have outgoing caller ID, AFAIK. So as long as they’ve added you to their address book on their cell phone, your name will show up when you call them.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Wrong magic jack app is free
I just checked and it didn't claim to be free, which is where I got the information. Unsure what I'm looking at then. The description is right within the app...

Edit: I went ahead and downloaded the app. For "your own" US phone number you do indeed need the $1.99. thete are long distance plans that go all the way up to $14.99. It seems you are automatically granted a number, which is also callable (I got call failed a few times), so I'm not sure what the restriction is for. Perhaps they reserve the right to give that number away at any time if you're not paying for it (having read the reviews, this seems to be the case. Anyone using this as their main line surely wouldn't want their phone number to randomly change a day, a week, a year after setting up, right?)?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    837.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

TiBook550

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Atl, GA
I find it interesting that some people on this plan in this thread are being charged data-wise for music streaming.

I've only recently signed up for this plan (my first month ends on the 29th) and have been utilizing the hell out of Spotify and Apple Music, and with all my music streaming, video watching and web browsing, I'm only at 2.5GB usage! I should've been way over that if they were counting the music streaming.

On the 29th, I'm going to reset my cellular usage stats and carefully monitor and compare to what T-Mobile states I'm using. I unfortunately restored my device a few weeks ago, so I don't have any accurate stats right now.

Music Freedom was one of the main reasons I signed up for this plan and so far, for me, it definitely appears to be paying off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.