Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Yey! 4 more icons on my already cluttered front screen! :rolleyes:

...other than that, I like the metal design because now I can just have a sreen protector and that is it. My cell phones all get sretched the hell out of'em within the 2 years' use. Then I dump'em and get a new one. Looking forward to Siri and good thing is: I'm eligible for an early upgrade in October...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
im having a feeling that this aspect ratio is actually thought through and that it'll make more sense once we get to see iOS6. maybe they have something "special" and "revolutionairy" in store for that extra screen

Outlaw-D

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
with all the leaks happening so fast, does this mean we will see a WWDC release instead of Sept/Oct?

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. It seems rather early for all of these leaks if still had another 5 months (or so) to wait.

And if Apple plans on demoing iOS 6 and giving developers a chance to play with it, you think Apple would give them a heads up. And you can't explain having to adapt to a "new resolution" without giving away their secret. We'll probably see iOS 6 and iP5 in a couple weeks for a July release. Easy. :apple:

Canaan

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
Looks ridiculous to me. What I like about Apple products is they always seem to be just right as far as dimensions and proportions go. Everything balanced and in its place. That's why these leaks are kind of hard for me to take seriously. But as I see more and more I'm not sure what to think really. Should I find it more or less convincing based on the vast quantity of information and pictures coming out? (Apple is usually so secretive)

If it were me designing the new phone, I'd keep the same screen size and try to make the device smaller or lighter. Probably lighter as it is already pretty small, but not so light that it feels like a toy either. Opting for a material change for the back is also warranted as well I would think.

Only time will tell if this weird looking thing will be the next iPhone. If it is just a bit taller, I hope they utilize the extra space that non optimized apps have in some useful way, wether it be an information ticker or for notifications or something else of that ilk. This would especially make sense if it's a feature of iOS 6. Perhaps space for a widget. Maybe even something for Facebook/twitter integration that sticks with you no matter what app you are in.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
im having the feeling that this aspect ratio is actually thought through and that it'll make more sense once we get to see iOS6. maybe they have something "special" and "revolutionairy" in store for that extra screen

I really hope they use the space for more than just one more row of icons!

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
This could soooo easily be faked. :)

Anyway, I believe Apple can make the screen taller without changing the resolution by using non-square pixels. A true anamorphic display that film geeks can really appreciate. ;)

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
Stupid Fool.

Apple forensics CSI will now digitally scan and read your fingerprints from the smudges on the glass, expect a visit soon...

"Knock Knock, Neo".....

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Not really sure how I feel about this. A taller screen is less interesting to me than a slightly larger screen.

I know that would be a hassle for the sake of development and all... I'm just saying simply making it taller doesn't really do much for me.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Honestly, it kind of reminds me of the LG New Chocolate:

LG-new-chocolate-BL40.jpg

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
Grand unification of screen sizes

I suspect, as others have alluded to, that this aspect ratio change is going to be done to (eventually) _simplify_ developer's lives: you'll have the 16x9 format to target for iPhone, iOS TV, and perhaps, in the future, iPad.

Apple has shown that they're willing to pay the cost in making changes now for simplicity further down the road, and this may be along the same lines.

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
im having a feeling that this aspect ratio is actually thought through and that it'll make more sense once we get to see iOS6. maybe they have something "special" and "revolutionairy" in store for that extra screen

This is what I'm hoping. Otherwise it still feels like change for the sake of change.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
iPhone 5 will be announced at WWDC. Whether or not it is released this summer remains to be seen.

If it is announced at WWDC, then it will be released shortly after. There is no other way.

All the leaks are kind of telling, but the biggest argument against it being revealed at WWDC is that a new iPhone always has a new OS to go with it. They'd have to release a special build of iOS 5 with support for the bigger resolution. Not inconceivable, but it makes it less likely.

If you look in the past (specifically Steve's interviews with Walt), they say a lot of things and even reject statements and it soon turns out they do the opposite of what they said.

Yup. On ebooks: "Nobody reads anymore." On a video iPod: "Nobody wants to watch video on a tiny screen."

I'll be skipping this generation if that's the case. When future chips are smaller, expect apple to put out a smaller phone again.

Low-power LTE chips are due to arrive in the fall. Another reason not to expect this at WWDC. If they move to this screen size, it won't be because of chip limitations.

Does this make it 16 x 9 dimensions? Too lazy to look it up...

Approximately. Gruber has a good explanation of why it's not quite 16:9.

Last edited:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I suspect, as others have alluded to, that this aspect ratio change is going to be done to (eventually) _simplify_ developer's lives: you'll have the 16x9 format to target for iPhone, iOS TV, and perhaps, in the future, iPad.

Apple has shown that they're willing to pay the cost in making changes now for simplicity further down the road, and this may be along the same lines.

This is a good theory. Except that 16:9 tablets are awkward as heck. As far as all the other devices go, though, I concur.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Im starting to think that these are just cases for field testing the new iPhone . Just incase they get lost in a bar etc. the real New iPhone will be a redesign but use the same internals .

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Funny - I bet all those bitching now about the display were the same ones bitching when the ipad came out... complaining how wide screen movies would look terrible on the iPad.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.