Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just updated to 12.5 and the issue persists. Anyone still getting this since the update?

And did we ever identify a usable workaround? I'm an audio editor and basically my entire workflow depends on using modifiers so I'll have to return my 2021 Macbook and use my 2015 again if there isn't a fix for this. I'm flabbergasted and really frustrated.
The work around is to hold down the CMD key for a second or two first.

the3rdParty

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
MBP 14", M1 Pro, 10 Cores. 12.5 fixed it for me. 😀

The only work-around I had found that really worked was to use an external keyboard & trackpad. I have a logitech MX keys for Mac keyboard and both an original apple trackpad (the one with 2x AA batteries) and a more recent apple magic trackpad. With either external trackpad the MBP worked fine and responded as it should to all tap-clicks with any modifier key.

No idea if it made any difference but I spent many hours working with Apple technicians on line to get the issue analyzed, data captured (incl simultaneous videos) etc. Very relieved its now resolved. The MBP 14 looks like one of Apple's better portables. Just hope it last longer than my 2016 16" w touchbar.

Last edited:

johnnymoped

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2022
I am having the same problem on a M1 MacBook Pro 14".
Did even a re-install of Monterey 12.5, but that didn't help either.

But today I updated my girlfriends M1 MacBook Air (2020) from BigSur to Monterey (12.5) and Tap to Click (e.g. + CMD) works flawlessly. That really makes me wonder if this is now only a problem for then newer Pro MacBooks.

Did anybody have a chance to walk into an Apple Store and just try it out on all the machines?
I'm down with Covid right now, but might be able to do this next week.

Last edited:

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
I am having the same problem on a M1 MacBook Pro 14".
Did even a re-install of Monterey 12.5, but that didn't help either.

But today I updated my girlfriends M1 MacBook Air (2020) from BigSur to Monterey (12.5) and Tap to Click (e.g. + CMD) works flawlessly. That really makes me wonder if this is now only a problem for then newer Pro MacBooks.

Did anybody have a chance to walk into an Apple Store and just try it out on all the machines?
I'm down with Covid right, but might be able to do this next week.
Hello! I can confirm that the problem exists in the computers of stores in several countries (Spain, Colombia, United States), 14" and 16" MBP 2021

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
My new 16" MBP has the pinch-to-zoom issues. My external Gen 1 Apple Trackpad is more reliable than the built-in but still fails to initiate a zoom at an unacceptable rate. Monterey 12.5 didn't seem to make much difference. This thing is probably going back to Apple, pathetic.

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
This is my story. I have had two computers, 14" and 16", in both my first contact was with the support (issue: tap-to-click). In both they asked me to take it to an authorized service to do tests that were all successfully passed. Then they escalated it to the engineering department. From the first case I never had an answer. From the second, the answer was that it was something intentional to avoid accidental clicks, which showed that it did not make sense because if it were so, it should apply to a simple click and not to the combination with the keys cmmd and shift, and it is not documented anywhere. I remember reading here that some had changed the part with the same behavior, so I assume it's a software problem.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Just tested new M2 MBA and 14" MBP in the Apple store. Trackpad on M2 MBA was perfect with CMD and SHFT tap click; 14" MBP still exhibits the problem on CMD tap click but now it takes two clicks instead of three so some improvement; SHFT tap click on 14" worked normally after the stutter on CMD tap click so again a slight improvement for 14."

gwww

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I just upgraded to 12.5 and the behaviour is better than <12.5 versions. Where just before the upgrade I could reliably reproduce the problem (e.g.: Cmd+tap-to-click not working if Cmd not held down for "long enough") I can no longer reliably reproduce the problem. It has happened twice out of ~20 tries.

So, for me, it is definitely better for which I am happy. I'm still sad that it took Apple close to a year to address this, even if its not fully fixed.

johnnymoped

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2022
Did everybody use the feedback tool to address these issues?
I recently did and there do not seem to be any recent similar reports.
So it might help if all of us did this.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-27 um 18.53.19.png

johnnymoped

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2022
Just was at the Apple Store. Tried it on every 14" and 16" MB Pro and even on an iMac with external trackpad.
"Unfortunately" I could not reproduce the CMD + tap bug anywhere.
All had 12.5 installed.

But still have the issue und my MB 14". :(

josduc

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
Out of frustration the zooming function in Safari with the magic trackpad stopped working frequently, I recently reinstalled MacOS. So far so good! Fingers crossed.

vreedom

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2022
Had a try with some MBP14“ in the store (12.5 update already): cmd+tap2click does NOT persist anymore. Also the new MBA are working fine. Seems like Apple made it ;)

marstan

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Had a try with some MBP14“ in the store (12.5 update already): cmd+tap2click does NOT persist anymore. Also the new MBA are working fine. Seems like Apple made it ;)
To be clear, it works with one click not two or three?

Here's the sequence I performed in the store on a 14":

1) in Finder list view, tap to select file (only required one tap to select as normal)
2) CMD + tap a file several rows down (this required 2 taps to work which is not normal; previously required 3 taps)

vreedom

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2022
To be clear, it works with one click not two or three?

Here's the sequence I performed in the store on a 14":

1) in Finder list view, tap to select file (only required one tap to select as normal)
2) CMD + tap a file several rows down (this required 2 taps to work which is not normal; previously required 3 taps)
Exactly with one click. I tried it in the finder window and was not able to reproduce the bug anymore. How about the other guys after update to 12.5?

johnnymoped

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2022
So, I created a second partition on my MBP 14" and downloaded a fresh copy of the Monterey 12.5 installer.
Installed this on the second partition (completely fresh install, no copied settings whatsoever) and the issue still persists.
Cmd (Shift, Option etc.) + Tap is only recognized on the 3rd tap.

So either this is a hardware issue after all (at least on some) or there is something wrong with the firmware of the OS (my guess). I suppose the firmware will be used by both OS versions?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.