Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Sell them to a third party at a loss. Or use them around the store to showcase other products.
somebody must want the iPad 1st gens for business use, I'm sure they could be useful for something, perhaps for video or other display?? ...if used for business they could get a tax write-off.
You can check to see what Target would give you for your iPad here

http://www.targettradeinprogram.com/
no, that is what they will give you online without this special promo.

Go into any Target store that sells cell phones, they will (most likely) offer this promo.

If you search for a store that has "Target Mobile" this will likely do it.

But, me, owner of an iPad 1st gen, going to try this tomorrow, I'll post what happens, as this could be a case of going from a slow, tolerable iPad 1 w/iOS 5.1.1 (with apps that crash often, especially web apps, other apps work well, as long as they work with iOS 5), into an iPad Mini w/iOS 7 for $100! :cool:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
As a Target employee, it probably means Target Mobile stations (although I haven't confirmed this) which are located in just about every Super Target but not regular Targets. I find it hard to believe this offer is only valid at a handful of stores in NC.

Yep. It actually means Target Mobile stations…. I did a search, and there came up 5 stores within 50 miles of me.

UbuntuFu

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
For those in San Diego looks like you have to ship it or drive to OC/LA. I tried tonight and the guy said the same thing that people on slickdeals reported. SD can't take it for some legal reasons.

Anyway the guy just went on the targettradeinprogram website and I just filled out the info, and the promo code was novipad200.

It took my 16gb iPad first gen from $65 to $200. Prepaid UPS shipping label. I just did the same thing at home so all you need is the code novipad200.

I'll take photos of my stuff, ship it tomorrow and hope nothing goes wrong.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Alright, just turned in an original WiFi 16 GB iPad for $200. The guy in front of me turned in *FOUR* of them. (Strangely, there are no original iPads left on the local Craigslist for less than $200...) The guy at the counter said that they had gotten nearly 30 original iPads today.

Note, NEARLY EVERY Target has a "Target Mobility" inside - if you're not sure, just call and ask. Any target that sells cell phones and cameras will likely have it. (All of them in my area do.)

Got a 32 GB iPad Air.

Edit: When I traded in my iPad, they just gave me a $200 gift card, no strings attached. They did not say anything about having to use it on an iPad Air. I left the store, and came back and bought the Air separately from another Target purchase.

Last edited:

Elbandido

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Uhhh...

So, in like 10 years you'll all be that person that says,"Man, I wish I still had that first gen iPad - it would be worth so much now.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
So, in like 10 years you'll all be that person that says,"Man, I wish I still had that first gen iPad - it would be worth so much now.

Yeah, I'll just wait until next year, well after this promo is done and almost no new apps run on iOS 5 any more, and buy one for $50...

I don't think a first gen iPad will be worth enough for me to forego $200 now. Even the original iPhone isn't yet worth a lot. (I'm sure it will be, though.)

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
wow im in texas and the closest Target "Mobility" store is in NC!

Many Targets have one in them. If they have a dedicated area to sell cell phones, they have one.

----------

Edit: When I traded in my iPad, they just gave me a $200 gift card, no strings attached. They did not say anything about having to use it on an iPad Air. I left the store, and came back and bought the Air separately from another Target purchase.

My store required an iPad purchase (which is corporate Target policy). They were out of Airs so I went with a Mini (was planning on returning it but my wife decided that for the $85 it cost out the door, it was worth it to keep it). Still a big upgrade to the 1st gen.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
Even more discount @ Target

Since you're getting $200 off by going to Target, you might as well sign up for a Target Red Credit Card and get an additional 5% off on the purchase. I'm not sure if the 5% will apply to the $479+tax or only the $279+tax after the gift card but either way 5% is 5%.

----------

Yeah, I'll just wait until next year, well after this promo is done and almost no new apps run on iOS 5 any more, and buy one for $50...

I don't think a first gen iPad will be worth enough for me to forego $200 now. Even the original iPhone isn't yet worth a lot. (I'm sure it will be, though.)

The first Apple 1 computer is worth a lot because so few were actually built. I highly doubt the iPhone 1 or iPad 1 will be worth anything after 30-40 years since there were millions of them made and enough people are holding onto them in hopes of a similar long-term windfall.

This reminds me of my dad's first new car. He bought a Plymouth Satellite (very similar to the Dodge Charger made famous by The Dukes of Hazard) but right next to that $1400 car was a $3500 lime green SuperBee. In the early 70's $3500 was a lot of money for a car, but IF you had bought that very rare car AND parked it in your garage never driving it again, it would be worth $350-500K today. Even as a 7 year old I easily predicted that the car had collector value especially from the lime green color, but I didn't have $3500 at the time. But I don't think anybody would have predicted the Apple 1 auction price.

Scrib

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
So I have an original iPad, 64GB with ATT 3G. I would love nothing more than getting $200 towards a new iPad Air. But, I need a cellular radio in my iPad for business/travel. I have yet to see a target store carry an ATT iPad. Am I hosed? I suppose I could use the $200 towards Christmas gifts etc and get the new iPad elsewhere?

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
For those running into Target personal saying that you must immediately purchase an iPad to get this promo, here is the exact text from Target's website:

Between November 3rd thru 9th visit your local Target Mobility store and trade in any iPad for at least $200 *. To take advantage of this offer simply follow the below steps:

Step 1: Find your local Target mobility store by clicking here and selecting "Target Mobile" under store services.
Step 2: Your device will be appraised in-store at the mobility kiosk.
Step 3: $200 minimum promotional credit will be issued on a Target Trade-In Gift Card and is redeemable in any Target store.
* Visit TargetTradeInProgram.com for store hours, locations and to see if your iPad qualifies for the offer. To be eligible for trade in, the iPad must power on and screen must not be scratched.

It says nothing about requiring a purchase. I plan to take mine in today, and sit on the card until they get the retina mini in stock. I can't see a first gen to a mini second gen internals being worth the $100 upgrade cost. Not when I can wait a few weeks and get the A7 in a mini.

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
Just got back from Target. Cellphone guy must do this deal. Nobody else can. He doesn't come in until 2pm. WTF. I spoke to the regular guy there and he said that the gift card has to be used on another ipad. He also said that if I return that ipad I lose the gift card money. He said the gift cards can't leave the store. Total BS. So basically there is no way to use this on a mini with retina later. Ugh. Biggest deal on ipads, only runs for a week and the guy who does them doesn't come in until 2pm. Called 2 other Targets and their guy doesn't come in until 12pm. Really??????

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Just got back from Target. Cellphone guy must do this deal. Nobody else can. He doesn't come in until 2pm. WTF. I spoke to the regular guy there and he said that the gift card has to be used on another ipad. He also said that if I return that ipad I lose the gift card money. He said the gift cards can't leave the store. Total BS. So basically there is no way to use this on a mini with retina later. Ugh. Biggest deal on ipads, only runs for a week and the guy who does them doesn't come in until 2pm. Called 2 other Targets and their guy doesn't come in until 12pm. Really??????

Oh. Guess I'm doing gazelle or amazon then.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
If you also get the target Red Card 5% off the balance of the new iPad, it really can come out to some decent savings.

imeridian

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010

Completely opposite experience here. I wouldn't rely on what a regular Target employee says about the promotion. I told him I wanted to trade in my iPad, basically handed the iPad over, signed the receipt, and in exchange he gave me a $200 gift card that can be used anywhere in the store, for anything, whenever I wanted to use it.

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
Completely opposite experience here. I wouldn't rely on what a regular Target employee says about the promotion. I told him I wanted to trade in my iPad, basically handed the iPad over, signed the receipt, and in exchange he gave me a $200 gift card that can be used anywhere in the store, for anything, whenever I wanted to use it.

Figures. Where I am at everybody breaks the rules to sell more crap. Best buy wouldn't price match the ipad because the manager said he doesn't want to. They also would not sell me any iphone or note 3 outright. Must sign contract. Boy they have it good right now. Will remember this when they need my business.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
So I have an original iPad, 64GB with ATT 3G. I would love nothing more than getting $200 towards a new iPad Air. But, I need a cellular radio in my iPad for business/travel. I have yet to see a target store carry an ATT iPad. Am I hosed? I suppose I could use the $200 towards Christmas gifts etc and get the new iPad elsewhere?
not hosed...you should be able to get $200 in Target Gift Cards, no strings attached...which can be used online...Target sells the AT&T models online, so check there first to see if the model you want is available.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
I called a Target store, and they said you HAVE to use the $200 towards a new iPhone 5S. This is so misleading, it doesn't mention it anywhere on their http://targettradeinprogram.com website including the promotion and the small print. You can't use the credit for anything else.

My copy of Breaking Bad season 5 I bought with my $200 gift card says this is not true. I went shopping after turning in my 1st gen iPad 16G WiFi and getting a $200 card.

----------

What do you don't erase?

I hit the reset all media and settings button before going to the store. I went through the setup process so it was at the home screen. I told it to forget my wifi network settiings and the mobile person was able to get to settings and find the number to punch in for the validation of the model for turn in.

----------

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

==========
I have three (count 'em!) Macs and one first generation iPad. As it's only used by my Granddaughter (age 7) I am pretty much clueless on how to 'erase' all the content we purchased, yet save such for a new iPad. I haven't 'synched' this fellow for ages as, duh, it's system cannot be updated since it has such a weak chip.

So briefly, does anyone know how to 'reset' the iPad to it's stock content but minus the various 'apps' we purchased? And of course, be able to put those saved apps on a new iPad.

Since the first generation iPad is the bast###d at the family reunion and nobody wants them...I'd be A FOOL not to take the Target offer for $200 off on a new iPad!!

To set it back to factory defaults: Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings.

I would then connect to a WiFi and go through the basic setup settings and the delete your wifi connection settings when you are done.

Minuteman3

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Power adapter?

For those that have been successful at a store, do you need the power adapter as well as the iPad?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Leney

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008

I traded in an iPad 1 yesterday. I was told that I had to buy an iPad that day to do the trade-in. I was handed a gift card and while a different Target employee was ringing me up for an iPad Mini purchase, I asked what was to prevent me from just leaving the store once I had the gift card and not making a purchase. He said the mobile guy was supposed to bring me over to do the purchase. So, in my case, I could have just left with the gift card.

I immediately returned the iPad Mini saying I had changed my mind. I did receive the gift card balance but the rub was that I had to get the full balance of the return on a gift card. I couldn't get the difference I paid put back to my original card.

Rich5150

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
Just took mine in and got my card, didn't have to buy anything iPad related and they didn't state that I had to either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.