Target Working on QR Code Mobile Wallet as Apple Pay Holdout Continues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2015.

1. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Yeah, my sample set is small (my cards only) but 9 out of 10 have the symbol, they're from major banks, and I never asked for any of them! Some luck. ;)

2. APlotdevice, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Oh yeah, because having an individual app for every store you visit is what CurrentC was missing...

3. tmiw macrumors 68020

And they have the EMV chip too? I know a lot used to issue the ones without it a while ago. Do you mind mentioning which banks?

4. macnewbie91 macrumors 6502

macnewbie91

My HSBC card has the symbol on the top and bottom corners, both front and back. I don't see why the bank wouldn't include the symbol on them if they are contactless, which would create more confusion.

I'm guessing the banks also HAVE to point out that the card is contactless in the documentation, due to the risk of people scanning your card remotely.

5. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

I travel a lot so I need the EMV cards, but I only got them as cards expired and I was issued replacements. Definitely two from Wells Fargo, two from Amex. I don't remember if the BofA one was the holdout or had it, but I'll check the rest when I get home. Although they have the PW/PP/EP symbol on the backs, I've only ever verified it works on one card (WF Visa). Amex may have been proactive in noticing my travel and upgrading my card pre-expiration though.

6. richard371 macrumors 68020

Walmart now Target. This is just stupid. This will force people just to use a credit card as its much easier then having an app for each store. Apple pay was the best idea but thanks to companies like Target and Walmart that are not helping but instead making things more difficult and less secure for the consumer.

7. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

As many others have said... silly and waste of time for Target and others. Why would you ever use this?

8. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    If anything, it's an NFC payments holdout.

If they accepted Android Pay but not Apple Pay, then it would be an Apple Pay holdout.

Sure, just like the way Apple tracks our purchases from iTunes.

Heck, you can't even really use many Apple devices without getting an Apple Id (with email and often credit info) to be associated with everything we purchase and/or download from them.

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

An Apple Pay transaction itself doesn't cost retailers more; but NFC payments can. Also, retailers will have to spend more buying back the very info they used to get for free.

Apple Pay payments are not completely anonymous. For one thing, the credit card companies and banks still get the same info they go before, which they use to track our habits, sell to associated advertisers, or back to retailers, and worst of all: decide what our credit should be like.

The only thing that's "anonymous" is the token card number association with the user, but even that's changing, as payment processors start to wake up to another revenue source possibility.

In the end, the only real change will be that stores will have to pay more for the same info, and banks have to pay more for the same transaction. Not much incentive to support it from that standpoint. We'd all be better off if Apple didn't want a transaction fee, and if users could associate their tokens with store rewards programs.

9. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

They can experiment all they want, we know who will win in the end.

10. arkhanjel macrumors regular

arkhanjel

Oh yeah most will continue to use their credit cards, even though their new chip and pin readers are the slowest thing I've ever used to pay anywhere.

11. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Hahaha... Nobody will use this **** ever. Dumb business decisions is exactly why Target fails sometimes, which is one of the reasons why it failed in Canada.

12. arkhanjel macrumors regular

arkhanjel

I think that's where they're stuck. The way Apple Pay works there isn't any info they can get from a person's shopping habits. Oh and not all credit cards and banks get a detailed description of everything you purchase on a charge.

13. 2457282 Suspended

I am no longer a fan of big box stores. I have never been in a wal-mart and I have rarely go into a target or costco anymore. On-line shopping with free delivery and 1 click checkout is working way better for me. These weird attempts by wal-mart and target to develop terrible apps to track my usage only to have all my data stolen in a breach is certainly not going to make me want to go there. At least with Apple Pay and even self checkout, it would make life better. For example I moved all my prescriptions (okay I only have two), to rite aid because at least with Apple pay the process is a little easier than with CVS and the receipts are a way shorter. I think these store will continue to try whatever they can to reduce costs and gain more information into the buyers. Long term I think they will see that there are better ways to achieve both goals without the use of apps and QR codes.

14. tmiw macrumors 68020

Weirdly, I heard that Wells Fargo used to issue them too but don't mention anything about it on their site anymore. I also heard about someone recently getting a WF card without that functionality. And perhaps AmEx is issuing contactless by default now, which would be an improvement. We'll see.

For what it's worth, BofA has the following on their site:

Is a chip card the same as contactless payment (for example, PayPass, PayWave)?
    No. Contactless cards employ near-field communication technology (NFC), which has a radio antenna that transmits account information, and work by waving or tapping your card in front of a device. Chip cards must be inserted face-up into a chip-enabled merchant terminal that allows the chip to make contact with the reader to authorize and complete a transaction. (Remember to keep your card inserted into the terminal while the transaction is processed.)​

15. pittaman macrumors newbie

As my mother would say: "it's like cutting off your nose to spite your face". My son works at Target and receives daily complaints from customers who want Apple Pay and have no interest in signing up for "Red Cards." In larger metropolitan areas where there are real choices, this can and will result in the loss of even more customers. Stupid, stupid, stupid . . .

16. AppleFan91 macrumors 68000

AppleFan91

So
    ApplePay
    ChasePay
    SamsungPay
    LGPay
    WalmartPay
    TargetPay
    ChasePay

We really need Apple and Google to take off and kill these little "me-too's" running around. I'm fine with them, but not like in the case of Target and Walmart blocking the others to promote theirs.

17. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I think a lot of the hardcore on sites like this forget just how few people even know about Apple Pay, let alone use it. I know many people with iPhones right now who have not set up Apple Pay. They can't be bothered, or not that many stores take it, or whatever. This transition away from credit/debit cards is going to be slow. Of course it will happen, but I think we're looking at 5 years before it's ubiquitous.

18. aristobrat, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

aristobrat macrumors G5

Because online retailers don't track customer usage and have never been breached before??? o_O

I don't know about Walmarts app (never used it), but I'm frequently using the Target, Lowe's and Home Depot apps when I'm in their stores and don't find them terrible.

Their apps (with the in-store location of items) are much faster for me to find something (vs trying to track down an employee and ask them), and their apps often have coupons and discounts.

I already pay at Target with their Red debit card to get the 5% discount every time I shop. Unless ApplePay comes up with a 5% discount every time I shop in Target, I wouldn't be using it, even if Target accepted it.

19. KanosWRX macrumors 6502

Just goes to show Target knows nothing about technology, hence them being hacked so bad. Why do they insist on these horrible qr-codes, they are the most inconvenient way to pay! I can pull out my wallet and pay with a card faster. The point of apple pay was to make things super convenient and secure, they successed greatly with that. I just have to tap my watch to the device and done. For target or any of these other stupid QR payment ideas, I have to pull out my phone, unlock it, find the app, open the app, load the payment system, take a photo, and probably confirm something too, WTF!! that is complicated enough as is right their, so stupid Target, just support apple pay and make everyone happy!!

20. LuckyBubba macrumors member

LuckyBubba

that makes sense.. thanks. They should consider a shopper card like the one's grocery stores use.

21. 2457282 Suspended

My point was that I prefer to shop online and have it delivered to my home. Way more convenient and with the free shipping it is priced the same or cheaper (when I don't have to pay sales tax). Yes on-lines have been hacked. however, aside from the security of Apple pay, my comment (which you deleted) was about convenience. The 5% back is a positive incentive and if that is enough for you then that is great. For me I make that back in the tax savings. So security and convenience are what's left. And as long as security is reasonable, then convenience is where it's at for me. The big box stores are never convenient and I avoid them. As always to each his/her own I guess.

22. tmiw macrumors 68020

I think it'll be longer. Chip and signature basically killed the possibility of 100% merchant acceptance in the US anyway even before Walmart and Target started doing what they're doing. For one thing, a lot of smaller businesses that have upgraded their terminals continue to hide them from customers because they can. It doesn't matter if the store has the hardware and software to support NFC if they won't let you use it.

And at a store that has fully optimized their chip readers (e.g. Walgreens), the time differential between chip and NFC isn't that great. Maybe a couple of seconds tops, especially since 80% of transactions with physical cards don't need a signature anyway. I'm not convinced NFC will provide that much convenience for the customer.

On the other hand, having what's effectively a self-checkout function in-app (using Apple Pay for payment) will be more convenient for customers. If nothing else, so you don't have to wait in line to use the physical self-checkouts or to be checked out by a human. The technology is basically there already; RFID tags are inexpensive enough to include in every product now, not to mention that every smartphone has WiFi or Bluetooth and can easily communicate wirelessly with a shopping cart. We just need a standard-ish app so that we don't have to download 20 of them to do our shopping.

23. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

QR Code == Instant Fail

My bet it's either selfish IT wanting a cool project, ignorant management making strategic decisions not founded in reality, or Target is using it as leverage to get a good deal with Apple on inventory or price reductions.

Probably all three.

24. aristobrat macrumors G5

Most people don't have a phone that supports Apple Pay, so how can you say "everyone"?! lol

25. BruiserB macrumors 68000

Often times I use my cash back credit card to buy Target gift cards on Raise.com or Cardpool.com. I get cash back on the purchase and I often find the cards for more than 5% off. Then I transfer those gift cards to one I have with a different card number (to prevent the sellers of the cards from trying to redeem after selling to me). I actually can access my own card digitally on my phone and it gives a QR Code that Target scans. Convoluted? Yes, but it gives me more than 5% off and Target doesn't get my info. My personal revenge for them not taking ApplePay. I cancelled my Red Card last year when they first announced they wouldn't support ApplePay in stores.