Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
In other words, the so-called SE is really a cost reduced iPhone 8. Why did you have to pollute the SE name, Apple? Why?

The 2016 iPhone SE was the previous-generation form factor (5/5s) with more current internals (A9). It was therefore smaller than the flagship model, but with similar performance, and at a low price.

The 2020 iPhone SE is the previous-generation form factor (6/6s/7/8) with more current internals (A13). It is therefore smaller than the flagship model, but with similar performance, and at a low price.

kittycat40

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Torrance, California
Your wall of text is mostly a copy & paste from a Macworld article. I don’t know why you just didn’t post a link.
https://www.macworld.com/article/35...esign-display-specs-camera-battery-price.html

They got the bit about the sapphire lens cover wrong. The iPhone 8 and several models before that do have a sapphire cover.

Where do you think macworld got his/her info from. People like me who supply those editors with the scoop on Apple's products.

You don't know me. I work for Apple and have alot of inside information about Apple. I am very familiar with ALL of Apple's products.

I don't need to copy and past macworld articles about the differences between the iPhone 8 and iPhone SE 2020 edition.

You can also go to iPhone Wikipedia and there's a comparison of all iPhone models from the first iPhone in 2007 to the latest iPhone SE 2020 edition.

The chart on that iPhone Wikipedia page that I provided a link to gives anyone the info on each iPhone like dimensions,weight, resolution, max brightness,whether it has true tone display,what kind of wifi, if the iPhone has Express card with power reserve, if that particular iPhone is still in production, storage options etc....

Oh and there are plenty of articles on the web comparing the iPhone 8 to new iPhone SE 2020. There are plenty of articles on the web that compare iPhone 7 to iPhone 6S and the list goes on.

Also Apple's own website has a compare and contrast feature they tells you the iPhone's dimensions,weight,size chip,screen sice, type of screen, MP in a camera, features in the camera, Aperture for camera, what sim it takes etc..

Also the iPhone 8 didn't get the sapphire lens cover as you claim. You can purchase Sapphire camera lens for your iphone6,6s,7,or 8 if you want the sapphire lens.

I've owned every iPhone since the first iPhone. Shame on Carl for liking your post. I'll have to take back my praise of his post in an older thread.

My wall of text has a lot of info not in that article like all the stuff below except the A13 chip and wifi 6.

Gigabit-class LTE:was first included/introduced on the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max and now included in the iPhone SE 2020 edition

The iPhone 8,iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X got the LTE Advanced modem which supports theoretical speeds up to 600Mbps
The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus got the LTE Advanced modem which supports theoretical speeds up to 450 Mbps
The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, got LTE Advanced modem that supports theoretical speeds up to 300 Mbps
The iPhone 6/6 Plus got LTE-Advanced that supports theoretical speeds up to 150 Mbps

dual SIM (eSIM): was first included/introduced on the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max and now included in the iPhone SE 2020 edition

The A13 chip, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6, Express Cards with power reserve are 3 new features first introduced/included on the iPhone 11,11 Pro, and 11 Pro MAX and now on the new iPhone SE 2020 edition.

FYI: iPhone XS, XS Max, iPhone X, iPhone 8 and previous generation iPhones do NOT get Express Card with power reserve.

Express Cards with power reserve feature which is included in the iPhone SE 2020 edition also included in the ‌iPhone 11‌ and 11 Pro, allows for authentication of Express Transit cards even when an ‌iPhone‌'s battery is exhausted. It can also be used for the "CarKey" function that Apple has in the works which will let an ‌iPhone‌ serve as an alternative to a traditional car key in vehicles that support the feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
No wonder, if we remember that the introduction of the original 4” SE was preceded by a long presentation on recycling. The current SE is probably the last iPhone in this 6-8 body, so Apple are just giving it a specs bump and getting some new users into their ecosystem. A win-win for everybody.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
The 2016 iPhone SE was the previous-generation form factor (5/5s) with more current internals (A9). It was therefore smaller than the flagship model, but with similar performance, and at a low price.

The 2020 iPhone SE is the previous-generation form factor (6/6s/7/8) with more current internals (A13). It is therefore smaller than the flagship model, but with similar performance, and at a low price.
What you all don't grasp is that the SE (the proper one) had a form factor that was correctly identified, with specific screen size being the key requirements. It stops there. This non-SE is designed along similar grounds but is NOT an SE and those of us who want a proper SE won't be buying this cast off. Don't fall into the trap. Reject Apple's unacceptable naming convention. There is a movement here.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What you all don't grasp is that the SE (the proper one) had a form factor that was correctly identified, with specific screen size being the key requirements. It stops there. This non-SE is designed along similar grounds but is NOT an SE and those of us who want a proper SE won't be buying this cast off. Don't fall into the trap. Reject Apple's unacceptable naming convention. There is a movement here.
Movement of one?

Reactions: justme1

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008

I like and own the original SE, and I will not get the new one.

That being said, there is nothing about the "SE" name that enforces or even hints at a specific screen size or form factor. If the original one had been the "4SE" (4 inch) or "5SE" (based on iPhone 5), and Apple still called the new one "4SE" or "5SE", then yeah, that would be "wrong" in some sense. But "SE" is just "Special Edition". Apple is free to release a 7-inch pure gold iPhone for $500K and call it "SE", it would not be a misnomer. I think the new 2020-SE is pretty close to what the original SE was.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
This phone is the best phone Apple has done in a long time (if not ever).
Most people don't need the gimmicky nonsense the 11 Pro has (which costs almost 2.5x more here).
The new SE is by far the most performance/value iPhone Apple has ever done and I'm glad that we are not forced the phones that would almost buy you a car :)
This thing will be super popular

For the audience this phone target, they couldn't care less. The iPhone SE is just another avenue for Apple to print money and get those remaining stubborn iPhone 5S, 6, and 6s users to finally upgrade.

Reactions: raybo

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
What you all don't grasp is that the SE (the proper one) had a form factor that was correctly identified, with specific screen size being the key requirements.

I don't understand.

If your contention is that the 4-inch form factor was the one and only, yeah, quite a few people feel that way, but most don't seem to.

It's not like Apple is the odd one out here not offering a 4-inch phone any more. If anything, they were the only holdout who still offered a fairly featureful one at that size. The market has moved on.

There are other considerations, too. For example, here's an ars technica article on running iOS 9 on the 4s. Now, the 4s was 3.5 inches, and the old SE was 4, so it's not quite the same. But still, the same concern does apply: it's not just that hardware and users have moved on; apps have, as well. They just don't fit well on such a small screen.

It stops there. This non-SE is designed along similar grounds but is NOT an SE and those of us who want a proper SE won't be buying this cast off. Don't fall into the trap. Reject Apple's unacceptable naming convention. There is a movement here.

There are dozens of us. Dozens!
[automerge]1587729934[/automerge]
I like and own the original SE, and I will not get the new one.

That being said, there is nothing about the "SE" name that enforces or even hints at a specific screen size or form factor. If the original one had been the "4SE" (4 inch) or "5SE" (based on iPhone 5), and Apple still called the new one "4SE" or "5SE", then yeah, that would be "wrong" in some sense. But "SE" is just "Special Edition". Apple is free to release a 7-inch pure gold iPhone for $500K and call it "SE", it would not be a misnomer. I think the new 2020-SE is pretty close to what the original SE was.

I mean, yeah. The old one might as well have been called the 5SE, and this one the 8SE. That's exactly what these are.

imdropbear

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019

For you the screen size was the determining factor but for Apple it was not. Besides, when the original iPhone SE with its size of 72.5 cm^2 came out, it was ~22% smaller than the flagship back then which was the 6s with 92.8 cm^2.

The new SE with its 93.1 cm^2 is about 19% smaller than the current flagship the 11 with its 114.2 cm^2 so it’s quite similar to the original SE in that regard.
The 11 Pro is a bit smaller (102.8) so the difference isn’t as big (just below 10%) but that’s a product line that wasn’t there back then and its smaller size is one of its features so it’s hard to compare that.

Smartphones getting bigger is just a trend that is there, wether you like it or not. The iPhone SE was and still is a model that is slowing it down but it’s not stopping it and there was never any indication that it would. Apple never explicitly specified its 4” screen or a specific phone size as a defining factor of the SE line.

I personally would have loved a smaller new SE as wel. I still wasn’t expecting it since it was clear they would again going to reuse existing production lines to keep the cost
low. Them using the iPhone 8 chassis was fully expected and in line with the idea behind the SE.

Last edited:

sintra1

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2004
Harrow North West London
I couldn't disagree any more. The point you're all missing is that FACE ID is ILLEGAL in most states in the car! The simple fact of picking up the iPhone to unlock is CRIMINAL in most states or at least a ticket.
You cannot unlock the phone without holding it up to your face, but you can touch an iPhone 8 Plus without even looking and someone else in the car can dial a number or a contact.
In Maryland, it is illegal for all drivers to use a handheld phone while operating their vehicle. A cellphone ticket can carry a fine of up to $75 for the 1st offense, $125 for the 2nd, and $175 for the 3rd and further infractions. And they ticket like crazy for this here. As soon as you pick the iPhone up to your face, you've committed a crime.

This is one of those things where Tim Cook is a rich bean counter who doesn't get average people. Steve Jobs was rich too, but he understood simplicity intrinsicly. Tim Cook doesn't.
I know what the privileged will say, well why don't you just get Carplay? But I don't have a vehicle currently where that is possible and not many people are buying new cars right now since like many, I can't work.
And unlocking an iPhone 10 or 11 in a car is illegal in most states! Sure I could take the lock off, but then Apple forces me to lose all my privacy. And this is why the new SE has Touch ID still. But I already have a Touch ID phone better than it.

If true, which I doubt, I don't understand why nobody else gets this. The iPhone 8 Plus will probably be my last iPhone if that's the case.

This made me wonder something. Since we're pretty much quarantined here, my iPhone is almost always plugged in right next to me with rarely leaving the house. Will constant charging hurt battery life? Even when using it intensely, it won't go below 95% if not always 100%.

MAKE SURE YOU PAIR ANY PHONE WITH A HANDS FREE KIT AND USE SIRI SORTED

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
You cannot unlock the phone without holding it up to your face, but you can touch an iPhone 8 Plus without even looking and someone else in the car can dial a number or a contact.
In Maryland, it is illegal for all drivers to use a handheld phone while operating their vehicle. A cellphone ticket can carry a fine of up to $75 for the 1st offense, $125 for the 2nd, and $175 for the 3rd and further infractions. And they ticket like crazy for this here. As soon as you pick the iPhone up to your face, you've committed a crime.

How is looking at a phone's display to unlock it any more "using" it than touching a phone's home button? In neither case do you actually interact with it.

I'm also not sure what you're unlocking it for to begin with, while driving. Connect it to the car before driving, then just leave it connected?

This is one of those things where Tim Cook is a rich bean counter who doesn't get average people. Steve Jobs was rich too, but he understood simplicity intrinsicly. Tim Cook doesn't.

You're… really reaching here.

(Also, neither Touch ID nor Face ID shipped with Steve alive. We don't know anything about Steve's involvement with either tech. Nor do we know anything about Tim's.)

wood1208

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2015
It doesn't even have enough differences compared to the 8 to earn the "s" suffix.

This phone has "minimum effort" written all over it, but I'm sure there's gonna be a horde of Memoji-faced users prepared to pin it on us "hating" than Tim chilling and barely even trying anymore.
Let's be honest. This iPhone have enough difference to call it iPhone 8S. Faster A13,faster WiFi 6, faster Cellular. Now, calling it SE is confusing because it does not have resembllance to original SE other than name iPhone. I agree that Apple wants to keep price down, so chose iPhone 8 design,manufacturing processes and that is OK. Long as consumers benefit, all good.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Let's be honest. This iPhone have enough difference to call it iPhone 8S. Faster A13,faster WiFi 6, faster Cellular.

Well, most s phones added more than just improved specs.

The 3GS added video (and generally moved the camera from terrible to tolerable), a compass, Voice Control, and VoiceOver. (The last two of these were probably a function of the 3GS's CPU and RAM being quite a leap from the 3G.)

The 4s added Siri.

The 5s added Touch ID.

The 6s added 3D Touch (OK, bad example?).

The XS… was also a product in Apple's line-up? Well, it added dual-SIM and Smart HDR.

The SE 2020 is mostly a spec bump compared to the 8, albeit a considerable one.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It doesn't even have enough differences compared to the 8 to earn the "s" suffix.

This phone has "minimum effort" written all over it, but I'm sure there's gonna be a horde of Memoji-faced users prepared to pin it on us "hating" than Tim chilling and barely even trying anymore.
Yep, minimum effort and maximum profit. Win-win for Apple. But no hyperbole in the above post. /s

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
my ideal se
back to gen 1 se size with smaller bezels with gen 2 specs
same or lower price

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I don't understand, why some here still say the new iPhone SE is not an SE model.
But Iit is. It's exactly the same as the original one: A cheaper, smaller alternative with an old design and more up-to-date components. Of course it's bigger then the first iPhone SE, but so are other phones. So relatively seen, it is still a smaller phone. ?‍♂️

Well the size may be something of an issue for those who expected it to be "SE-sized". I mean it's not humongous like the X phones but it's not what some figured, like maybe same external dimensions but no bezels to yield a larger display area. After all people who had an SE may have had a 5 or 5S before that and those were all the same exterior size.

I still do prefer the original SE as a cellphone for its pocketability, and would probably get an SE 2 as the smallest current iPhone option if not needing a new laptop first, even though the SE 2 is noticeably larger than the old one. I mocked up the exterior dimensions of the SE 2 on a piece of cardboard and it does still fit in the pockets of my jeans and studio smocks. But by now I'm addicted to the XR for its gorgeous and relatively much larger screen and so to the more space for my news apps and book readers when I'm home and using devices on WiFi.

The older SE has become mostly just a cellphone and otherwise a very portable device for music and a server of audiobooks / podcasts... and a pickup point for notifications from news wire services. In most of those senses, the SE 2 sized device would be fine as an upgrade. Still use a tablet to read magazines though and a laptop for surfing, most video, spreadsheets, design apps etc. I'm a walking advertisement for "one size does not fit all mobile computing purposes."

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
It is completely illegal to pick up and use a phone whilst driving a car in the UK.

If I want to call someone whilst driving I just say ‘hey Siri, call john’.

The mechanism by which you unlock your phone is completely moot in context of driving a car because you should never be touching or using your phone in any way whilst driving other than by voice.

Good point.

When in the car, I keep my phone in a holder on the dashboard (in the horizontal position... I have a Note8), because it's main use there is for Waze navigation and music, which I use an Aux cable for (thank you headphone jack, tho I have an adapter for iPhones too).

I have it set up in a location that makes it's operation less distracting than operating the radio, since it sits higher and the road never leaves my field of vision.

That said, I unlock it and set everything up BEFORE I get moving which is what everyone should do.
[automerge]1587739762[/automerge]
I think most are overlooking here is that this iPhone brings the low-end iOS family together.

That low-end is Touch-ID based.

I don't think that Apple ever intended the SE name to be associated with the original SE specifically, much to the chagrin of it's fans.

The way I see it, Apple could be (and maybe should be) positioning the SE name as the non-Pro device moniker, i.e.:

iPhone SE
iPhone SE Plus (rumored)
iPad SE (should be the iPad Air maybe and eliminate the base iPad?)
iPad SE Mini

Also, I don't think Touch ID is going away yet, since they put it in the 16" MBP too. We'll see.

Last edited:

IT Troll

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
You don't know me. I work for Apple and have alot of inside information about Apple. I am very familiar with ALL of Apple's products.

I don't need to copy and past macworld articles about the differences between the iPhone 8 and iPhone SE 2020 edition.
Then I guess you must be the co-writer for Michael Simon's article. The content, sentence structure and phrasing is remarkably similar.

The iPhone SE 2020 edition and iPhone 8 are identical in size and shape (138.4 x 67.3 x 7.3mm) and both weigh 148 grams. They both have a single rear camera and flash along with a glass back.

The new iPhone SE has basically the same display as the iPhone 8, bringing a 4.7-inch Retina HD 1334x750 resolution at 326 ppi, along with True Tone, wide color, and 625 nits of max brightness. The only major difference is 3D Touch: the iPhone 8 has it and the iPhone SE doesn’t. In its place is Apple’s new Haptic Touch system that can be found on the iPhone 11. Below the display, you’ll find a Touch ID sensor.

While the iPhone 8 and iPhone SE both have a single 12MP, f/1.8 wide camera with digital zoom up to 5x...

We’ll need to run it through its paces, but under the sapphire crystal lens cover (a feature not on the iPhone 8), you’re getting Portrait Mode (limited to people), Portrait Lighting, Smart HDR, and QuickTake video, all of which are not available on the iPhone 8.
The iPhone SE and iPhone 8 are identical in size and shape (138.4 x 67.3 x 7.3mm) and both weigh 148 grams. They both have a single rear camera and vertically aligned flash along with a glass back.

The new iPhone SE 2020 edition has the same display as the iPhone 8: 4.7-inch Retina HD 1334x750 resolution at 326 ppi, along with True Tone, P3 wide color, and 625 nits of max brightness. However, the iPhone 8 has 3D touch and the iPhone SE 2020 edition doesn’t. Instead Apple gave the iPhone SE 2020 edition Haptic Touch. Both the iPhone 8 and the the iPhone SE 2020 still use that finger print button for touch id.

The iPhone 8 and iPhone SE both have a single 12MP, f/1.8 wide camera with digital zoom up to 5x. The iPhone SE 2020 edition get a sapphire crystal lens cover (a feature not on the iPhone 8). The iPhone SE 2020 edition allows Portrait Mode (limited to people), Portrait Lighting, Smart HDR, and QuickTake video, all of which are not available on the iPhone 8.

Also the iPhone 8 didn't get the sapphire lens cover as you claim. You can purchase Sapphire camera lens for your iphone6,6s,7,or 8 if you want the sapphire lens.
Well that is strange because Apple's spec sheet says it does as does the iPhone Wiki page you linked.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Let's call it iPhone 8S and call it a day. Apple could have increased top screen reducing top side thick bezel, giving new identity. But, why take risk ?
We like SE better.

Also, a screen redesign isn’t the best plan when you’re trying to make a cheaper iphone. They need to remove cost, not add to it.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
For cost reasons they probably took out the extra layer and chips.. the shape of the phone is identical though

The weight in grams and the battery are exactly the same though. How would they make up the same exact weight of the iPhone 8 without the 3D Touch module and with no change in battery size? Unless it was coincidental. But still, they had to put something in that empty space, right?

raybo

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Saint Petersburg, FL
For the audience this phone target, they couldn't care less. The iPhone SE is just another avenue for Apple to print money and get those remaining stubborn iPhone 5S, 6, and 6s users to finally upgrade.
"Stubborn"!!! I'd call it "practical". If one wants or needs newer features they buy a new device. Otherwise they keep what works...I'm getting a Red 256, btw. This is pretty much exactly the new phone I need - otherwise it's "Is that an iPhone 11 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Reactions: kittycat40
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.