Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Keep waiting! ?
Yup.

My first phone with data was a Nokia 7110, with WAP (a.k.a. 1g). Then I got a Nokia e61 with GPRS (a.k.a 2G). Then I got a 4S with 3g. Finally I got a 2006 SE for LTE (a.k.a 4g) and it's still doing fine for now. So I can afford to wait for something with 5g. It seems my upgrade cycle follows cellular data generations.

But the 2020 SE looks like a great bargain. My wife is interested in it to upgrade from her 6. She wants the same size, and isn't too particular about the data spec.

Last edited:
Reactions: SantaFeNM

L-Viz

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2017
This cheeopo iPhone 8s phablet has nothing in common with the original glorious iPhone SE.

Instead of giving customers a real choice with a reasonably small sized phone, they want to sell all old remaining parts off the shelves.

Thank You but no.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
Apple have already moved beyond fingerprint sensors and onto Face ID. Touch ID will be gone from iPhones after this iPhone SE as the next SE will be based on a currently Face ID model.

I couldn't disagree any more. The point you're all missing is that FACE ID is ILLEGAL in most states in the car! The simple fact of picking up the iPhone to unlock is CRIMINAL in most states or at least a ticket.
You cannot unlock the phone without holding it up to your face, but you can touch an iPhone 8 Plus without even looking and someone else in the car can dial a number or a contact.
In Maryland, it is illegal for all drivers to use a handheld phone while operating their vehicle. A cellphone ticket can carry a fine of up to $75 for the 1st offense, $125 for the 2nd, and $175 for the 3rd and further infractions. And they ticket like crazy for this here. As soon as you pick the iPhone up to your face, you've committed a crime.

This is one of those things where Tim Cook is a rich bean counter who doesn't get average people. Steve Jobs was rich too, but he understood simplicity intrinsicly. Tim Cook doesn't.
I know what the privileged will say, well why don't you just get Carplay? But I don't have a vehicle currently where that is possible and not many people are buying new cars right now since like many, I can't work.
And unlocking an iPhone 10 or 11 in a car is illegal in most states! Sure I could take the lock off, but then Apple forces me to lose all my privacy. And this is why the new SE has Touch ID still. But I already have a Touch ID phone better than it.

If true, which I doubt, I don't understand why nobody else gets this. The iPhone 8 Plus will probably be my last iPhone if that's the case.

it seems like a winner. Battery life is kinda disappointing though. The SE is advertised as similar battery life to the 8, which was advertised as similar to the 7. My 7 was fine when I first got it, but battery life was getting bad towards the end of 2018, so I took advantage of Apple's reduced price battery replacement. Now it's getting bad again, 17 months later.

This made me wonder something. Since we're pretty much quarantined here, my iPhone is almost always plugged in right next to me with rarely leaving the house. Will constant charging hurt battery life? Even when using it intensely, it won't go below 95% if not always 100%.

Last edited:

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Yup.

My first phone with data was a Nokia 7110, with WAP (a.k.a. 1g). Then I got a Nokia e61 with GPRS (a.k.a 2G). Then I got a 4S with 3g. finally I got the SE for LTE (a.k.a 4g) and it's still doing fine for now. So I can afford to wait for something with 5g. It seems my upgrade cycle follows cellular data generations.

We’ve known since what, spring 2019 to expect 5G with the iPhone 12 this fall? It was never going to debut in a $399 iPhone SE.

Reactions: BaltimoreMediaBlog

NeonKingKong

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2008
Portland, OR
Let's call it iPhone 8S and call it a day. Apple could have increased top screen reducing top side thick bezel, giving new identity. But, why take risk ?
It’s cheaper to build using parts/processes that have already been made. Nothing new in the production process. Ideally it would be cool if they put the effort of the new phones into a small form factor. Now if they could just build them in the usa I would be happy. But they don’t and I have to use this tech for stuff so I end up buying one wherever they got it made.

Reactions: raybo

IT Troll

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh

McTool

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2016
Apple's big issue here is the naming scheme doesn't allow for out of order products, which is why they've bastardized the SE monicker. Nobody for a moment believes this is an iPhone SE given its form factor is too big. It's disingenuous of Apple to try to connive people who are actually intelligent enough to know the difference. This simply ain't an SE and nobody should call it that.
[automerge]1587695661[/automerge]

Apple is insulting you by trying this SE stunt. It's like a flat can of soda.
Nobody believes this is an SE?
Look at the box it clearly says iPhone SE!!
[automerge]1587710953[/automerge]
On the one hand, good things come to those who wait. On the other hand, 5g would have been a nice bonus.
5G? We laughed and laughed.

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
Different battery connector, huh? Can’t use those old parts. That would mean that people might (gasp) be able to replace it on their own. What is the size of the battery in the SE?

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I couldn't disagree any more. The point you're all missing is that FACE ID is ILLEGAL in most states in the car! The simple fact of picking up the iPhone to unlock is CRIMINAL in most states or at least a ticket.
You cannot unlock the phone without holding it up to your face, but you can touch an iPhone 8 Plus without even looking and someone else in the car can dial a number or a contact.
In Maryland, it is illegal for all drivers to use a handheld phone while operating their vehicle. A cellphone ticket can carry a fine of up to $75 for the 1st offense, $125 for the 2nd, and $175 for the 3rd and further infractions. And they ticket like crazy for this here. As soon as you pick the iPhone up to your face, you've committed a crime.

This is one of those things where Tim Cook is a rich bean counter who doesn't get average people. Steve Jobs was rich too, but he understood simplicity intrinsicly. Tim Cook doesn't.
I know what the privileged will say, well why don't you just get Carplay? But I don't have a vehicle currently where that is possible and not many people are buying new cars right now since like many, I can't work.
And unlocking an iPhone 10 or 11 in a car is illegal in most states! Sure I could take the lock off, but then Apple forces me to lose all my privacy. And this is why the new SE has Touch ID still. But I already have a Touch ID phone better than it.

If true, which I doubt, I don't understand why nobody else gets this. The iPhone 8 Plus will probably be my last iPhone if that's the case.

This made me wonder something. Since we're pretty much quarantined here, my iPhone is almost always plugged in right next to me with rarely leaving the house. Will constant charging hurt battery life? Even when using it intensely, it won't go below 95% if not always 100%.

It is completely illegal to pick up and use a phone whilst driving a car in the UK.

If I want to call someone whilst driving I just say ‘hey Siri, call john’.

The mechanism by which you unlock your phone is completely moot in context of driving a car because you should never be touching or using your phone in any way whilst driving other than by voice.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Let's call it iPhone 8S and call it a day. Apple could have increased top screen reducing top side thick bezel, giving new identity. But, why take risk ?

It doesn't even have enough differences compared to the 8 to earn the "s" suffix.

This phone has "minimum effort" written all over it, but I'm sure there's gonna be a horde of Memoji-faced users prepared to pin it on us "hating" than Tim chilling and barely even trying anymore.

• Disagree
Reactions: Justanotherfanboy

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
What is that transparent pop-up-menu-icon/function he is using in the video?

(To the right on the lower half of the screen - just after he boots the iPhone...)

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
It is completely illegal to pick up and use a phone whilst driving a car in the UK.

All of the ride sharing and food delivery services don’t seem to care about that fact very much, especially when they’re sending you multiple things whilst driving. :p
[automerge]1587711823[/automerge]
What is that transparent pop-up-menu-icon/function he is using in the video?

(To the right on the lower half of the screen - just after he boots the iPhone...)
During setup, there’s a way to invoke options to use emergency calling, to start over, and something else. I forgot.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
When is Apple going to figure out how to do Touch ID under the screen?
They are long overdue when many others are doing it, albeit some in clunky ways, but some others are clever.
I just can't believe Apple cannot figure this out. Some people simply don't want to have to look at their phone to unlock it in a car, and before I get yelled at, I don't mean to text and drive. I know how bad that is, but Touch ID allows you to touch your iPhone without even taking your eyes off the road, for instance if someone else wants to use it in the car or answer your phone or if you have wireless phone capabilities in your car. With Touch ID, I can simply touch the iPhone blindly without taking my eyes off the road and someone else in the car can dial the # or hit the contact to call.
FACE ID is downright dangerous for that and illegal in most states. In my state, I know anyone caught holding a phone to their face in any way is getting pulled over and ticketed.

Apple likes to be first with things that the others wouldn't dare to do first. But with things that everybody else is doing they take a bit longer, in order to perfect it and make sure it works perfectly. Apple certainly can figure this out but innovation takes time.

FaceID is a good authentication system and just because you cannot use it while driving does not make it worse. Generally avoid doing anything with your phone while driving except Siri. Even unlocking the phone with TouchID can distract you.

Don't blame Tim Cook, I think it's the best way for Apple to perfect the technology before selling it, I don't want to buy a crappy working phone. If you need TouchID now, buy the iPhone SE. Or alternatively buy an Android phone.

Generally it is bad if the battery is always at 100%, I suggest unplugging it. More here: https://news.umich.edu/tips-for-extending-the-lifetime-of-lithium-ion-batteries/

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
The original SE was a cost reduced 5s. What’s your point?

The original SE was an upgrade over the 5S and actually cost quite a bit more. The 5S started at $199 for 16GB, whereas the SE started at $399 for 16GB. The SE was only a lower cost option in comparison to the 6S.

Edited to add:
Argh, as others noticed - and I did not - those 5S prices were for the subsidized versions with a contract. So I was wrong, and the SE was cheaper than the 5S.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Express Cards with power reserve feature which is included in the iPhone SE 2020 edition also included in the ‌iPhone 11‌ and 11 Pro, allows for authentication of Express Transit cards even when an ‌iPhone‌'s battery is exhausted. It can also be used for the "CarKey" function that Apple has in the works which will let an ‌iPhone‌ serve as an alternative to a traditional car key in vehicles that support the feature.

That's genius. So I can empty my iPhone battery carelessly, and I can still use my phone to get on the underground or train. Ok, I can't use it to buy a sandwich to eat on the train, but I can get home.

Reactions: kittycat40

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I don't understand, why some here still say the new iPhone SE is not an SE model.
But Iit is. It's exactly the same as the original one: A cheaper, smaller alternative with an old design and more up-to-date components. Of course it's bigger then the first iPhone SE, but so are other phones. So relatively seen, it is still a smaller phone. ?‍♂️

imdropbear

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
The original SE was an upgrade over the 5S and actually cost quite a bit more. The 5S started at $199 for 16GB, whereas the SE started at $399 for 16GB. The SE was only a lower cost option in comparison to the 6S.

are you comparing a subsidized price bundled with a contract to a non subsidized price? Apple never sold a phone for $199. The new iPhone SE is the cheapest phone they ever sold.
[automerge]1587716358[/automerge]
It doesn't even have enough differences compared to the 8 to earn the "s" suffix.

This phone has "minimum effort" written all over it, but I'm sure there's gonna be a horde of Memoji-faced users prepared to pin it on us "hating" than Tim chilling and barely even trying anymore.

How did the other S iPhones earn their name other than by a better camera, a better cpu and various smaller changes? That sounds pretty much exactly like what S iPhones did.

Reactions: icerabbit and tagy

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple's big issue here is the naming scheme doesn't allow for out of order products, which is why they've bastardized the SE monicker. Nobody for a moment believes this is an iPhone SE given its form factor is too big. It's disingenuous of Apple to try to connive people who are actually intelligent enough to know the difference. This simply ain't an SE and nobody should call it that.
An iPhone SE is, by definition, not the latest and greatest iPhone, but an older phone, updated to the most current technology. It's also the last release of that older phone. That's what the first iPhone SE was, that's what this iPhone SE is. The next iPhone SE will be released in three or four or five years. It will look exactly like the iPhone Pro does today. And it will be the last Apple iPhone that looks like today's iPhone Pro.

And you will be complaining again.

Reactions: Justanotherfanboy

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
are you comparing a subsidized price bundled with a contract to a non subsidized price? Apple never sold a phone for $199. The new iPhone SE is the cheapest phone they ever sold.

Whoops, sorry, yeah, you are right. I googled the 5S introduction price and that was what I got, must have missed some footnote about contracts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.