Teen Interest in iPhone Remains High, Apple Watch is Most Popular Smart Watch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 12, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Teen interest in Apple's iPhone continues to grow, according to data gathered by Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster in the latest semiannual teen survey. 69 percent of teens surveyed own iPhones, up from 67 percent in the Fall 2015 survey. 75 percent of teens queried expect their next device to be an iPhone, up one percent from the previous survey.

[​IMG]

Smart watches are not as popular among teens as smartphones, and only 12 percent of those surveyed owned a smart watch. With teen smart watch owners, the Apple Watch was the model most often chosen -- of the 12 percent of teens who own a smart watch, 71 percent are Apple Watches. Just 10 percent of teens say they're interested in purchasing a smart watch, a number that's grown just two percent since fall of 2015.

[​IMG]
    When considering the full range of wearables, the Fitbit was the most preferred brand among teens, with 72 percent surveyed choosing the Fitbit. Nike came in second at 12 percent, and interest in the Apple Watch was at six percent. Wearables are growing in popularity, with 22 percent of females and 18 percent of males surveyed owning a fitness tracker, up from 14 and 12 percent, respectively, in the previous survey.

[​IMG]

Tablet interest and ownership among teens in Munster's annual survey has been steadily declining. 59 percent of teens own a tablet, down from 61 percent, and just 13 percent of teens who do not own a tablet plan to buy one in the next six months. Still, the iPad remains the most popular tablet among teens. Of those who own a tablet, 64 percent have an iPad.

Interest in the iPad has grown among teens who plan to buy a tablet, however, which may be attributed to the launch of Apple's 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pros. When surveyed, 63 percent of the 13 percent of non-tablet owners planning to buy one said they would choose an iPad, up from 58 percent in the fall.

iPhone adoption among teens may see growth in the fall, with the release of the iPhone 7, a major upgrade that's expected to bring significant new features like a dual camera on the Plus model and minor design refinements. Apple Watch growth may remain stagnant, as recent rumors have suggested the second-generation update will be relatively minor in scale. Interest in the iPad may see a continuing decline as Apple does not have any significant product changes in the works, having just released the iPad Pro models in late 2015 and early 2016.

Article Link: Teen Interest in iPhone Remains High, Apple Watch is Most Popular Smart Watch

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

inb4 oldies posting "it was all better before when we played with our gameboy colours. this generation sucks!!!"

3. CFreymarc Suspended

Data is partially useful. When you survey like this, knowledge of family income is essential to make use of the survey data. This looks like a group of upper middle class to upper class group of teens with such a high iPhone preference. I'm sure the number would be much lower if the family income was lower.

4. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

Besides being cheaper, does fitbit really do anything my Apple Watch cannot do?

5. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

6. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

The main thing is that it has a strong social network for competition. There are a few apps on the app store that have social competition, but there aren't enough people on them to make it truly useful. Also, the battery life is significantly better on fitbit. But that also comes with not doing nearly as much.

That said, the Apple Watch does a lot more than fitbit does… So those two features aren't enough to make me move over to fitbit. Not even close.

7. meaning-matters, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Better than I expected after products I didn't love.

8. nazaar macrumors 6502a

nazaar

is Apple watch the most expensive of the all the different brands currently available...? I'm not referring to the high models...Referring to the Sports model.

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Not sure why you assume that. iPhones have been around long enough to have a model priced to fit about every income level. Maybe its an older model they get but this chart does not specify age, just iPhone vs the others.

10. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Teens and kids owning iPhones is exactly what puts me off owning one. The iPhone seems to be more of a fashion statement than anything else these days.

11. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Garmin might have a few more expensive models but generally the Apple watch will be the most expensive on that list.

12. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

Yes, it isn't a giant watch which many people find gaudy.

13. puma1552 Suspended

Agreed. Lots of teens out there having $800 devices handed to them like it's an expectation, it seems, from what I've seen. Kind of shows just in the percentage of kids just expecting their next phone to be an iPhone.

Not saying there aren't cheaper iPhones ($400 still isn't cheap) or kids who have bought their own or kids getting hand me downs, but the vast majority of these kids are probably just expecting to get a new phone every year or two on mom and dad's dime.

14. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

Thank you, hopefully Apple Watch 2 will have multi day battery life so I can wear it at night as well.

15. larrylaffer macrumors 6502a

larrylaffer

My high school aged daughter put it this way: "All the kids that care about being social with each other have iPhones. The rest have Androids".

By her estimation, her high school is 85% iPhone.

16. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

It's the smallest smart watch I've seen. Most Android watches are 46mm with horrible battery life.

17. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

The aversion to owning an iPhone is this "not so smart" reason, to put it politely!

Must find better things to hate.

18. Mike MA, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

I wonder if the 63% of teens who plan to get their first tablet have also realized the price increase of the iPad Pro?

19. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

I come to MR just for posts like these.

Only through MR does one gain such intelligence.

20. OSX7 Suspended

OSX7

Where I live is COMPLETELY the opposite. iPhone preference is, I would say way off the charts. This survey really wouldn't do justice. I mean, I know people who upgrade to the latest iPhone year after year who virtually live in slums. iPhone preference (at least where I live) is universal in ALL income levels. It is the phone to have. Ever since the iPhone 6 was released, every one here has an iPhone. Androids are seen as a "poor" person's phone even if they are more expensive than the iPhone (Galaxy S7 etc... Logic right?). As you might have guessed by now, yes, I live in a third world country.

21. Altis macrumors 68030

It's almost exclusively due to herd mentality -- people at that age especially want to fit in and not be missing out (making sure they have the same platform for iMessage, apps, etc).

22. tann macrumors 68000

Last for a week without a charge lol.

23. Alenore macrumors 6502

Like Android, Facebook, Google, ... at least according to posters on this forum! :p

But seriously, the iPhone being such the thing to have just doesn't fit with some people. Including me, despite having an iPhone in addition to others phone.
    In fact, which phone I'll use mostly depends on who I'll meet. The phone, just like the watch, the clothes or the pen, is one of the things people look at when in a professional meeting :p

24. iPlaid macrumors newbie

Most teens' parents I know get a new iPhone every year or two and hand down their not so old ones to the kids.

25. CFreymarc Suspended

Apple has done buying preference based on personal income since the days of the Apple ][. From that, Apple can be categories as a "designer item" that has a strange demographic.

With "designer items" of high fashion and convince, you have two peaks. One in the upper income levels with well vested portfolios and other holdings as expected. Here you see achieved professionals, celebrities, artists, technologist and other well established individuals.

This second demographic, you find individuals surrounded by designer and some luxury items while having almost no capital ownership of a house, car or any significant investment. This is sometimes called "ghetto rich" or "rich in 'da hood" where these items are a sign of local status. Students, bohemians, near-do-well and other types of outlaw fill this scene. However, they tend to be just as imaginative and resourceful as the first peak. For what ever reason, they have no accumulated wealth.