Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@Slix : I spent a few hours today, with no luck. I thought it'd just be modifying the UA in tensixtube, but that wasn't it. I can either get the android style player with full screen option, or the html5 player with option to change res from 240/360/720p, but not both in the same player. I have a feeling that hooktube passes a different UA to youtube when you click on the youtube links from hooktube. I'll keep poking around with it, but if hooktubex is doing what you want from it, i'd just keep using that for now.

Cheers

Reactions: Slix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
New TenFiveTube version available for Leopard. Much larger file size, but now has the ability to run full screened in its own window as seen below. 240p/360p options (360p is default). Link updated in original post.

Cheers

TFT-v3.png

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Hi guys,

i have made an icon with higher resolution for TenFiveTube

If you like it, place it inside the package under Content/Resources

To the developers of TFT: You can add it to the App, if you want.

Attachments

• tenfivetube.icns 2.zip
    94.2 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Reactions: wicknix

Toyface19

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2018
Derbyshire
Just tried out the new version 3 of TFT, and I wanted to ask whether or not 720p on my PB 1.67 Ghz (non HiRes) is realistic? I made sure to have QuickTime 7.7 installed, and I tried a medium sized window, not fullscreen and while 360p works fine, I can't really get anything watchable out of 720p.

I will say I only have 1GB of RAM in here, I am looking to get some 2x 1GB sticks to max it out, will that make a big difference?

Excellent work on this I am very impressed and always love seeing ingenious workarounds like these! Thank you!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks. 360p is about the best a G4 will get with TFT. 720p is doable on higher end G5's if YouTube offers it at that resolution for mobile devices. It's not that a G4 can't do 720p, it's more a limitation of the mobile UA workaround. My G4's can easily do 720p YouTube running Linux and piping the video output to mplayer or vlc.

Cheers

Toyface19

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2018
Derbyshire
It's a shame that the YouTube Mobile UA isn't cooperating, but 360p is more than good enough. Especially for when I just want to chill out with the big ass PowerBook at the dining room table. I'm working upto getting a nice big SSD so I can try out some Linux AND Mac OS X, but that might be a project for when I have a bit more time ha ha.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yeah. 360p is fine. Runs smooth, no stuttering, text is readable. I don't like 720p on a G4 anyway as the cpu is pegged at 98% the whole time. It runs, but I hate stressing an old cpu that much for 5-20 minutes at a time.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
It's a shame that the YouTube Mobile UA isn't cooperating, but 360p is more than good enough. Especially for when I just want to chill out with the big ass PowerBook at the dining room table. I'm working upto getting a nice big SSD so I can try out some Linux AND Mac OS X, but that might be a project for when I have a bit more time ha ha.
If you really want 720p on your G4, then download the video from YT, and play it in CorePlayer.

Toyface19

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2018
Derbyshire
If you really want 720p on your G4, then download the video from YT, and play it in CorePlayer.

Yeah, I WOULD happily do that, but my internet connection is so terrible that I'd be waiting a fair while for anything to download. For some reason, BT in the UK think it's fine for me to get 7 mbps down and less than 1 mbps up in a very nice new development, so downloading things is, challenging, to say the least!

macanalista

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2017
We now have a few more options for Leopard, and Snow Leopard for YouTube.

Fixed: Having to click the video thumbnail twice is resolved in the Leopard version.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right clicking on the "whitespace" of background will bring up a forward/back/reload dialog. 240p/360p/720p are the playback options depending on version/platform.

New versions for Snow Leopard here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...on.2103937/page-4?post=27971454#post-27971454

NOTE: Leopard users will need QuickTime 7.7 for optimal performance.
Download: http://appldnld.apple.com/QuickTime/041-0741.20110803.fEi4R/QuickTime770Leopard.dmg

NOTE: None of these work with Tiger any more (thanks google). I have removed all the old/broken versions now to avoid confusion.

NOTE: New build of TenFiveTube is now available (04/07/2020). Click here to download --> TenFiveTube-v3 (roughly 56mb download)
Version 3 now has the ability to run full screened in its own window. Click the [] box in the lower right corner. To go back to search/thumbnail mode, right click on the video window and choose "back". Comments are disabled in full window mode. You'll need to relaunch TenFiveTube and not use this mode if you want to see/reply to comments.

Cheers.

TenFiveTube
View attachment 826591

TenFiveTube Full window mode
View attachment 904379

HookTubeX (for Snow Leopard)
View attachment 876742
Hi wicknix, thanks for making such a nice program, I use it on a MDD G4 1.25Mhz with Leopard. It works very well for me, it plays smooth. I noticed that when open a video in new window, it plays for a little while and then stops playing, remaining a still frame.

It's a pity it doesn't play whit Tigers.

But with you excellent program you demonstrate that old machines could work perfectly well but is that Google, Chrome, Windoze and such, they fabricate premature obsolescence by not supporting certain system versions anymore.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Small update: I updated YewTubePPC last night. I'm testing out other UA's to see what works without linking to LWK. So now the app is back to a few kb in size and attached to main post. The only drawback i found so far is no "full window/full screen" option, but 240/360/720p is still available. This time i included usage instructions on the title bar, as too many videos i've seen of TFT didn't read the main post that can't figure out how to change resolution or navigate it. Anyway, it's something else to play around with. Linked at bottom of original post.

Cheers

yewtube.png

abasak

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Would it be possible to set 240p as default? My PB 12" 1.5ghz G4 is struggling with 360p.

But, thanks for giving life to my machine again :)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
YouTube automatically sets the default. If I can find a way I'll include it in a future release. Your machine however is more than capable of 360p though. Make sure you have QuickTime 7.7 installed (linked on first post) as without it you'll get choppy playback. Installing Perian may help a bit as well.

Cheers

Reactions: Windreader

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Would it be possible to set 240p as default? My PB 12" 1.5ghz G4 is struggling with 360p.

But, thanks for giving life to my machine again :)

If you use TenFourFox/Greasemonkey or Leopard Webkit/NinjaKit there are scripts available at https://greasyfork.org to automatically select the resolution you want - however, even those lower resolutions by virtue of being webm video mixed with a separate audio stream use a lot of CPU. If your concern is efficiency you should use a method that seeks out the mp4 video from the youtube stream.

abasak

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
YouTube automatically sets the default. If I can find a way I'll include it in a future release. Your machine however is more than capable of 360p though. Make sure you have QuickTime 7.7 installed (linked on first post) as without it you'll get choppy playback. Installing Perian may help a bit as well.

Cheers

Thanks, yeah maybe the computer is the problem. It seems very sluggish. I upgraded it with a 7200rpm hdd and 1gb of RAM a couple of years back, and somehow, even un a fresh Leopard install, i seems slower than a 1.2ghz iBook (or equal to it), which Geekbench 2.27 sorta confirms. So something might be up.

(I have QT7.7 and Perian installed)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.