The 2009 iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ethanwc, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ethanwc macrumors newbie

As January comes to a close, I'm itchin' to see what Apple's going to release this year iPhone wise.

We can scrap iPhone Nano rumours here. Please.

So, what's on the ticket for this year's iPhone? HD screen? Auto Focus 3.2 megapixel camera? 32 gig capacity?

Last year I think the iPhone 3G was announced in April. Is that gonna happen this year, too?

I'm starting this thread because I really haven't heard any hard rumouring on this year's iPhone. I also wonder if iPhone 3G users will be able to upgrade this year, or if they'll have to wait till next year, due to the 3G not being subsidized.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It was announced in JUNE. All iPhone sales stopped from May on.

Since there is no cellular hardware to upgrade this year, the update will have to be to the other hardware.

BECAUSE there is no new cell hardware, Apple will have to make these other hardware updates VERY enticing to get people to buy a new phone.

Meaning we should see an updated battery, better Bluetooth, a better camera, more storage...

And we'd HAVE to see ALL of them for the update to be commercially viable.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

They should make an iPhone that forces members to search before making a thread about something that's been discussed a lot.

And btw, the 3G was announced in June 2008.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Interestingly the earnings call said that the cost for manufacturing had at least gone down. Here's to Broadcom doing a bit better, and there being some upgrades in the chips going in...

5. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

I'd like a new one that can record video. otherwise I'm good!

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That will most likely be a software update.

7. proc macrumors member

proc

Apple is likely to change the cellular chipset. This could lead to the possibility of faster networkspeeds (if the cellular network is prepared), longer batterylifes, more storageroom (the chipset is reduced to two chips instead of three thus leaving more room for Flash chips) and the possibility of recording video. The Infineon 618 chipset is a high probability for the June 2009 iPhone.

I hope that Apple doesn't just change the chipset though: a better camera would also be a good idea and a more recent CPU would be good idea.

I don't know why Apple doesn't seem to be bothered by the lack of a navigation application (such as TomTom, Route 66, etc). This is really something people have come to expect from a modern high-end phone which has a GPS chip (at least in Europe).

8. Jess.H macrumors member

Jess.H

As others have said, I'm very curious what they'll do to entice buyers, especially given the state of the economy. [​IMG]

9. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I would like to have faster rendering from the iPhone 3G on the web. I know the 3G network provides faster data than the iphone can render. I want to have a viable pocket PC, excuse my french.

10. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Furthermore, I want video conferencing..... but really as I think about it more and more, I'm not sure what they really could add hardware wise that would really make it sooooo much different than the 3G....

Could it be that they'll keep the 3G as a $99/$199 phone and bring in a video capable and conferencing plus other hardware features as a premium $299/$399 model? Thoughts?

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Like TS said, there will have to be something on this phone to get people to upgrade. I think with Steve leaving and making a return at "The end of June", which is probably 95% iPhone related.

Just think, Steve makes a reappearance, and a new iPhone. The media would be twice as insane.

Hardware wise, it would have to be something worth buying. Things like MMS, Video Recording, or any software related thing can be added to any iPhone.

I'm seeing 32GB for sure. I know I was wrong at MacWorld, but that's just a given.
    Hopefully a better camera that looks the same. The iPhone will probably never have a camera flash built in, just because of looks.
    Maybe a front facing camera hidden behind the glass?
    A slightly new design. Probably back to the metal looking casing, but this time it will be entirely one color metal, unlike the first iPhone.

I'm also pretty sure by summer we might have a version of flash available.

12. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I can almost guarantee you it won't happen until June of 09. Every June for iPhones, every Sept for iPods. Simple. But these features do seem feasible, since cooperative phones have em, especially Record Video and 3+ MP cams.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

The thing is, from the recent earnings report, Apple's sales seem to be immune to this bad economy.

Since there realy wasn't much of a change between original iPhone and the 3G iPhone, don't expect too much. People always have a list of things for each Macworld or WWDC and, without fail, people are left dissapointed every single year. Every year, we see people bitchin and moaning the day after. I see a processor upgrade, storage bump, and maybe a better camera (all hardware-wise). Nothing more. Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You mean the middle of the summer.

15. jason72780 macrumors regular

I think memory and major software update every summer and new model upgrade every 2 years to keep in line with the ending of contracts.

16. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

So should I buy the iphone next month and not worry about another iphone coming out in soon?

17. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I can see a better battery. I would venture to guess the storage would double for the same price. I wonder if they might also make it thinner and lighter?

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

2 years is an awful long time between iPhone hardware updates, don't you think? And there are always people who will sell their current phone to buy the new one regardless if they are not at the end of their contract. Also, you are allowed a subsidized phone every 18 months on AT&T. I don't know what the rules are for other carriers in other countries. Some countries just sell it unlocked.

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

What do you exactly mean by this? Your sig says you have a 16GB 3G. Do you think there is a new iPhone coming out next month?

20. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

I am buying the white iphone next month. I just dont wanna buy it then next week have a new iphone come out.

21. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Well, the iPhone and iPod Touch had their capacity upgrade last year in February. I do not know if they might repeat the same cycle again as the 32 GB chips aren't being mass produced for all I know. If you can stick up to these features of the current iPhone:

-No Video Recording
    -No MMS
    -Poor Battery Life
    -8 or 16 GB of memory

If you don't care if the iPhone is lacking these features, then you should get it!

22. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

To be honest 16Gb is good enough for me. I just want the camera/camcorder and MMS

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I just want it to bring full 3.5G support. I mean, 3G UMTS is great and all, but AT&T is deploying 3.5G HSPA, the iPhone could so use that...:D:D:D:p

24. jason72780 macrumors regular

The success of the iPhone 3g was because of price. The majority of iphone owners aren't the type to sell their current phone to get the new one. But they will get the one that comes out at the same time their contract is up, so while it is a long time for us it is right on time for the casual iPhone owner.

25. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Hopefully Apple will release a phone w/ a user replaceable battery.