The 2018-2019 NCAA Football Season

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Aug 15, 2018.

1. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Why do you think Oklahoma is much more deserving?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 25, 2018 ---
    I think people are focusing on it/talking about it because it’s just more interesting to talk about. If Georgia wins then I think they deserve to be in for sure, but so does Alabama. So we’ll see Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame and I’m fine with that. Expanding the playoffs just lets undeserving teams in.

2. samiwas macrumors 68000

Disclaimer: I do watch some college football, and keep up with some stats, but I most definitely do not have deep knowledge of all the teams and coaches.

How do you figure? Ohio state played four ranked teams, including two top 10 teams, and won all of them. Oklahoma played only two ranked teams, with the highest being 13, and lost to the 19th ranked team. And yes, I'm aware that Ohio State lost to an unranked team.

Alabama, as much as I loathe them and Saban, certainly deserve to be in the playoffs, even if they do lose to Georgia. They have plowed over everyone they played. The closest spread was 22 points. In all honesty, I have to wonder how much fun it is being an Alabama fan if you know that every game is gong to be an absolute blowout.

I want to see Clemson have a challenging season to see how they actually play. They've had years of cake schedules, having played only three top ten teams (and only 14 ranked teams) in the past five years of regular season games. That's pathetic. Not to say that Auburn is strong by any means (and yes, they are my alma mater), but they've played 24 ranked teams and 12 top ten teams in the past five years. Definite discrepancy in strength of schedule.

3. Roller macrumors 68020

As a Bama fan, I have to ask why you loathe Alabama and Saban? Is it more than the success they've enjoyed under his watch? Personally, I'm happy when Bama beats Auburn, but I don't hate the team or its coaches. There's a lot wrong with college football, but I don't think that Alabama is any worse than other teams in that regard.

I enjoy watching all the games, including the ones I'm sure they're going to win, because it's fun to see players like Tua and Jeudy play. And I certainly don't assume that every game will be a blowout, or even a win. I didn't take Mississippi State or Auburn for granted, and I definitely don't assume that Bama will beat Georgia next week. The Dawgs are at the top of their game, and I think they have a very good shot.

4. samiwas macrumors 68000

I personally just find Saban very off-putting (he actually smiled last night, which is a very rare occurrence), and many of their fans as sort of rude and very boastful (while I also have yet to meet a Bama fan who actually went to Bama). All in all, I just see Alabama as a football program which happens to have a school associated with it, and that seems to be all most of their supporters care about. Personal opinion, obviously.

I could see it being fun for a while, but after a season or two of almost continuous blowouts, just seems like the novelty would wear off. Of course, my team can barely beat a junior varsity team, so my view might be skewed...

5. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

It shows in attendance - fewer people are going to games when Alabama is just going to blow someone out. Not worth the hassle.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

It has been outstanding! Given after the 1992 championship, Bama was pretty much out of it until Saban came on board. The dark years as I like to call it. So I have no problem with Bama winning right now!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2018 ---
    I think you can say that about pretty much every team whether college or pro. Me personally, I find Ohio State fans to be some of the worst out there. But again that is just me. I didn't realize "going to THAT school" was a prerequisite to liking a team?

7. samiwas macrumors 68000

I’m sure you don’t. But what I’m saying is, watching something that’s a challenge seems more exciting and fun. Just watching and endless stream of 40-point wins would just get old. At least, to me it would.

Don’t know. Never had any other teams’ fans get up in my face and yell their motto in a “screw you” tone. Also, no other teams’ fans killed my school’s trees.:p

It’s kind of a joke, especially amongst Auburn grads. Just seems like most Bama fans didn’t go there, and are just attaching themselves to the winning team.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ohhhhh... You are an Auburn alumni? If so that would explain a lot! Considering there was a span in there where Bama couldn't beat Auburn or Georgia. Years worth of loses, not to mention the now famous FG attempt returned for a TD.

9. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

10. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

I wonder if the coaches just get bored?

11. Roller macrumors 68020

Saban certainly has been very successful, and he's always coaching, even at the end of a blowout win. But I've heard him interviewed many times, and I think that he genuinely cares about his players' well-being.

I don't know of any objective evidence that Bama supporters are less likely to have attended the school than fans of other programs. I didn't go to the University of Alabama, but all my kids did. Some of the Bama fans I know went there, others didn't. Some are boastful, but so are some fans of other teams.

I think that most of us who cheer for Alabama know that we're witnessing something very special that may not be repeated for years, if ever, and that the ride will eventually end. We're enjoying it while we can.

12. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Rankings are garbage. Makes no sense. You can’t tell me that Oklahoma is unequivocally better than Georgia but Georgia is better than Ohio State. Ohio State is at least as good (probably better) than Oklahoma. This is pretty unreasonable.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

8 team playoff will happen sooner than you think. They might deny it but they also denied a 4 team playoff.

14. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Yeah but that's not desirable outcome.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Anything other than Alabama winning is not the desirable outcome. Eventually Saban will retire.

16. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

I don't think that Alabama winning is a desirable outcome either but they're the best year-in and year-out.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They really got lucky yesterday and I don't think it was enough of a loss to bump Georgia out of the 4 spot.

18. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

I don’t think it was luck - you don’t come back like that if it’s luck. And even so Georgia just played and lost so they don’t deserve a second chance.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So why was a 1 loss Georgia at 4 at all?

20. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

They were ok at 4 with the one loss, but they lost again - convincingly to me - to Alabama.

21. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think they lost convincingly. Props to Alabama for not giving up, because Georgia was in the lead through 3 1/2 quarters. While Georgia now had two losses, they are a much better team then some of the other teams that made it into the plays. Yet, you are only as good as your record and they were in control of their destiny but couldn't close out the game.

22. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Meh idk if they are that good. More SEC bias to me than anything. Alabama came back pretty easily once they got their **** together. Georgia just really came to play.

23. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe, but the fact remans, it was anything but a convincing loss by Georgia.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Would love to see an 8 team playoff. Can’t happen soon enough.

25. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Idk I wasn’t pretty convinced. But couple that with getting blown out by LSU and their best win being Florida and I just don’t see it.

With that being said, I think you could swap Oklahoma, Georgia, and Ohio State pretty interchangeably at that #4 spot - Oklahoma being the weakest of the three of course.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    Well, if you want the regular season to not matter anymore than sure. Right now every game matters. Switch it to 8 teams and you can drop 3 games and still get in.