The 2018-2019 NCAA Football Season

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Aug 15, 2018.

1. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They'd have to shorten the regular season and lengthen the overall time these kids play. As it stands now, they use the bowl games as the playoffs, Adding more times will require another round of playoffs that means more games. I'm not against more teams, just pointing out there's a level of logistics that work against adding more teams. The one thing that is in the favor of such of move, is the almighty dollar. I'm sure the NCAA sees the potential windfall and will work to make it happen ;)

2. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Yea but they might lose money as fewer people watch the regular season games. Like the OSU - Purdue game. This year it kept them from the playoffs. Next year it would be completely irrelevant. Not even worth watching.

I’d like to see less cupcake scheduling but it’s also good for the programs all around. Smaller schools get paid to get beat up on (with a random chance of victory and getting paid) and bigger schools get to tune-up before tougher completion.

+ the hype and drama around the playoff generates lots of clicks. How controversial is it if 8 teams are in vs 4? Is anybody watching the top 6 selection? I know there wouldn’t be a point this year if it was 8 teams.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The regular season doesn’t matter if you lose 1 game. It’s basically set up for Alabama every year.

4. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Except all the 1-loss teams that get in?

Alabama deserves the benefit of the doubt until they start losing.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The committee will beg Saban never to retire.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

His health will force him to stay out. He will be back on TV.

8. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't really believe he retired the last time due to his health, he just wanted out of FLA

9. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Agreed. This time it seems for real.

10. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

I wonder how Alabama fans will feel when Saban retires. Will it be traumatic?

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You will see the bandwagon empty quick.

12. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I didn't see this coming.

Miami coach Mark Richt announces retirement

His stint at Miami was painfully short. He had successes during the season, but always seem to come up short during the bowl season, even when he was at Georgia.

13. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Yea that was quite sudden. I’ll go back to what I’ve said (here or othwersie) Ohio State should have been in over Oklahoma and now obviously ND. They just don’t have the coaching staff or talent ceiling to compete.

14. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

ND, was destroyed, but in all honesty, I don't think Ohio State would have faired any better. ND deserved to be in the playoffs, but it was such a lop sided game (presumably with ratings going down as the game got more out of hand), that it will now be harder in the future for non power five schools to get in, if you get my line of thinking.

Ala vs.Clemson, sorry but I'm not excited by the prospect. Not that I thought it would be any different ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

The thing is Ohio State can line up their soon to be NFL starters vs Clemson’s NFL soon to be starters and go at it. ND can’t do that (on top of getting out-coached). Probably still would have lost but you’d be crazy to think they’d only score 3 points. Haskins would have lit up Clemson’s secondary and I’m betting Tua will do the same.

I’m not really excited about Alabama vs Clemson either but they’re the two best and showed it.

16. maflynn, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018

maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ohio State's record stands for itself, and even some of the wins were almost losses. They did not have a good season, they looked shaky and ill prepared, only against Michigan did they really show up and you can't measure a season with a single game.

If any team deserved to play instead of ND, it would be Georgia.

Yeah, there is no denying that the two best teams are facing off, but in all honesty, I'll not go out of my way to watch it.

17. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Yea I just disagree. I’d take Ohio State over Oklahoma or ND any day of the week and I’d bet my mortgage that Ohio State would score more than 3 points against Clemson or Alabama. The defense has mostly played poorly, but as bad as they’ve played they are at least as good as ND D line and the offense is light years better. The defense is a lot better than Oklahoma’s and as bad as it is that’s saying something. If you don’t think Haskins could get a couple of touchdown throws in there’s no reason to think Tua or Kyler could. And obviously they can. Same with coaching. Urban is the only one in the conversation with Dabbo and Saban.

Also side note I’m slightly annoyed at this “Oklahoma QB plays in a no defense league and scores a bunch of points so they get the heisman” world we live in.

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

No bandwagon fan here, been with them since the 1990... When I first started watching NCCF football. We had a great year in 1992 followed by the dark years until Saban. It will suck when he leaves, and I have a feeling Bama will be down again until the next "good - great - godlike" coach comes on scene.

Sadly with all of the success they have had, there will be a rapid exit of those fans who are not true fans. Happens with every team.

19. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Lol Georgia. Quality loss though so let’s move them up to #3.

20. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

Haskins couldn't even "light-up" Washington's secondary... I doubt he would have done better against Clemson. I'm a life-long Notre Dame and Ohio State fan. I didn't even watch the ND v. Clemson game because the outcome was virtually pre-determined... and I don't think Ohio State would have done any better.

I'm tired of seeing Alabama, and growing tired of seeing Clemson already. I think most of the college football world would have rather seen ND v. Oklahoma or Ohio State, or Georgia... or anyone but Alabama.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon. They're just too good, and getting all the best players.

21. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Didn’t Haskins throw for like 300 yards and 3 touchdowns or something in the first half? Apparently Washington’s secondary is “really good” and their defense is ranked high enough statistically. They did come to play in the second half but Ohio State really let off the gas too. Again if you don’t think he could do welll against Clemson’s defense there’s no reason to think Tua or Kyler could either.

22. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Me too, with the holidays in our rearview mirror, I've already moved on from college football. In all likelihood, I'll not be watching this mostly because it is ALA/Clemson

As for Georgia, I think they never recovered from the crushing loss with Alabama. The first quarter last night, they just did not have their head in the game. The kicker's knee down on his punt, was indicative of how their first quarter went. All in all, I was more or less routing for Texas, partly because they were the underdawgs (see what I did there :p) and secondly because they seemed to come out excited to be there. The vibe from Georgia was this was jus a consolation prize for them.

23. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Fields transferred to Ohio State and was seen hanging out with Urban Meyer and Dwayne Haskins at the men’s basketball game. Wonder how long before Martell transfers? Maybe he’ll go to Florida State? Also interesting Haskins hasn’t declared yet.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Alabama just got destroyed tonight. Happy days are here again.