Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Why did you decide to compare 29mm watches with the 38/42mm sizes of the Apple watch?

I picked a watch. The 34mm is $5500... so if you extrapolate that'd still be no where close to $10k.

----------

Now wait just a cotton-pickin minute!

"Tank Solo watch, small model, Cartier caliber 157 quartz movement. 18K yellow gold and steel case, beaded 18K yellow gold crown set with a synthetic spinel cabochon".

That's not a gold watch. That's a gold-and-steel watch.

cotton picking minute... It looks like it has as much gold as the the apple watch. Also, you can look at the full 18k watches from Tiffany that are still under $10k. Again, there is definitely an add to the price for the name brand. I'm sure I can find others if I looked.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
This is my mindset as well. Unless the Edition is infinitely upgradeable, it can't command Rolex/Breitling prices. $20k for a finely tuned, hand crafted timepiece that you can leave in a will is a much different value proposition than a watch that will be unusable in 3-4 years.

If Apple comes out and says "The Edition will be upgradable from a chipset and battery perspective, and all upgrades are complimentary", then we may be onto something. If it's the same guts as a $350 product with a 2-3 year lifespan, it's going to be a tough sell if the price is anywhere near $15-20K.

I expect you will be able to "Service" the watch every few years for a price, similar to a mechanical watch. No way for free.

----------

I picked a watch. The 34mm is $5500... so if you extrapolate that'd still be no where close to $10k.

----------

cotton picking minute... It looks like it has as much gold as the the apple watch. Also, you can look at the full 18k watches from Tiffany that are still under $10k. Again, there is definitely an add to the price for the name brand. I'm sure I can find others if I looked.

I'm sure that's why the description says gold and steel ...

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
Maybe you're missing something, Apple is already selling a number of devices which is out of the hands of most buyers; the 5K iMac for example, the higher end retina Macbook Pros and the MacPro. Have you checked out what a fully loaded MacPro actually costs? :eek

Again we are talking Apples and oranges, how can anyone use a $3000 5k Imac with a 27 inch screen, and the potential to accomplish many, many tasks to a watch that at best is just a Iphone accessory. The choices you listed are full fledged high power computers. The watch is a helper and a convenience, Oh and looks cool :) What I am saying is if you alienate costumers they will go some where else. and lets face it some of the andriod watches from some of the heavy hitting companies have more options and are less expensive. Most people will buy from Apple because they trust them and their product. if that trust is broken, then they will move away from Apple.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Again we are talking Apples and oranges, how can anyone use a $3000 5k Imac with a 27 inch screen, and the potential to accomplish many, many tasks to a watch that at best is just a Iphone accessory. The choices you listed are full fledged high power computers. The watch is a helper and a convenience, Oh and looks cool :) What I am saying is if you alienate costumers they will go some where else. and lets face it some of the andriod watches from some of the heavy hitting companies have more options and are less expensive. Most people will buy from Apple because they trust them and their product. if that trust is broken, then they will move away from Apple.

You would alienate customers if you only offered a $10k option. But considering there is a $349 option, how many people will care that Apple also sells the same thing in gold for $10k or however much they end up being?

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Again we are talking Apples and oranges
No we're not, you were talking about how people would get alienated because there's a really expensive option on the table which they can't afford, even though there's quite frankly plenty of other, actually affordable* choices available to them. The principle is the same wether we're talking 5k iMacs or Apple Watch Editions.

*Most people would not spend even $350 on a WATCH no matter how bloody fancy or great, so calling it "affordable" is a bit of a misnomer, but you know what I mean, right?

What I am saying is if you alienate costumers they will go some where else.
And what I'm saying is, why would they be alienated just because there's an expensive option which not everyone can afford? You're not forced to buy it, quite the opposite. There's other options available to you, if you have disposable income at all to dedicate towards an Apple smartwatch that is. Sure, not in solid gold, but well, duh! :)

and lets face it some of the andriod watches from some of the heavy hitting companies have more options and are less expensive.
More options? Maybe. There's a couple watches with cellular modems, and one here or there with maybe a feature which hasn't been announced for the :apple:Watch. Remember, we don't even have all the details of it yet, while a number of Android smartwatches have been for sale for months or a year, meaning we know what these products offer and don't offer.

However, can you name one heavy-hitting company watch which has taken as holistic and far-reaching an approach to smartwatch making, including not just which features to include, but user interface, materials, design, build quality and 'feel'? I am pretty sure you can't. :)

Most, if not all smartwatches except the friggin PEBBLE, have been thrown together slapdash in a hurry to have something to offer as an alternative to :apple:Watch, or even just to get a foothold in the market before Apple gets there. Well, Apple hasn't been first before, and that hasn't stopped them. Look at Samsung's rapid-fire throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. So far, that turns out to be "nothing".

That said, there's no guarantee the Watch will be any kind of a runaway success either. It's expensive, and it's fundamentally just a companion device. It doesn't work (very well) as a stand-alone device, you could go for a run with it without bringing your phone along but you'd immediately lose GPS and internet access. So the future is fluid. We'll have to see how it plays out. However, Apple's absolutely pulling out all the stops here, they intend to conquer this market - however big it turns out to be in the end. (I've sure they've done plenty research, but is obviously not sharing any of it publically - yet anyway.)

Most people will buy from Apple because they trust them and their product. if that trust is broken, then they will move away from Apple.
That's kind of redundant, because that's the same with every company. However, nothing you've posted so far would give any reasonable person reason to feel their 'trust' with a multinational corporation has been broken... (PS: don't ever trust multinational corporations! They'll just turn around to bite you; the hand which feeds them. Heh.)

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Apple doesn't view its customers the way parents view their kids, "I can't give one kid 2 cookies and the other kid 1 cookie, that would be unfair."

Apple is very happy to give you as many or as a big a cookie as you want and doesn't give two poops if someone else gets a cookie with a bite taken out of it.

To think otherwise is to subscribe to the "participation trophy" philosophy of social science.

Attachments

• blueribbon.png
    blueribbon.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 463

Pammylu

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Pragmatic problem

Has anyone considered that wearing one of the Edition gold watches (yellow or rose) will be a huge signal to everyone to "come over here and point a small hidden gun at me and rob me of a pricey chunk of 18kt gold."

It's not the same as wearing a Rolex that might be a knock-off, this would scream 'known item with known price tag.' It also would not be hidden beneath a cuff for a quick glance at the time every now and then, it would be "used" often as the technology that it is... thus, showing off in everyone's face. I'd be fearful of wearing it as a daily functioning piece of technology enclosed in a high-priced jewelry-store item begging to be stolen off my wrist at gunpoint. Just saying' ....

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Has anyone considered that wearing one of the Edition gold watches (yellow or rose) will be a huge signal to everyone to "come over here and point a small hidden gun at me and rob me of a pricey chunk of 18kt gold."

It's not the same as wearing a Rolex that might be a knock-off, this would scream 'known item with known price tag.' It also would not be hidden beneath a cuff for a quick glance at the time every now and then, it would be "used" often as the technology that it is... thus, showing off in everyone's face. I'd be fearful of wearing it as a daily functioning piece of technology enclosed in a high-priced jewelry-store item begging to be stolen off my wrist at gunpoint. Just saying' ....

Most women's wedding set cost more than $10k (if you are using the $10k baseline that many like). I don't think a watch is going to be flashier than that. I've never felt uncomfortable wearing my wedding rings and I've never been held up by gunpoint.

----------

And as someone with no interest in gold watch, I have no skin in this game but I say we'll see in less than a week the price lineup, people have been speculating for 4 months, the time for speculation is over. Just relax and wait :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
[/COLOR]And as someone with no interest in gold watch, I have no skin in this game but I say we'll see in less than a week the price lineup, people have been speculating for 4 months, the time for speculation is over. Just relax and wait :)

This is an online forum. Clearly, you meant to say, the time for speculation is almost over, hurry up and get in your last-minute speculations before time runs out! :cool:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Most women's wedding set cost more than $10k.

So across the whole of the USA, I assume you are just talking about the USA, you are saying that MOST women, who are married and wearing their ring, are wearing over $10,000 worth?

Indeed. :D

Most women... huh?

:p

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
So across the whole of the USA, I assume you are just talking about the USA, you are saying that MOST women, who are married and wearing their ring, are wearing over $10,000 worth?

Indeed. :D

Most women... huh?

:p

yes, I would say most women I know, most women in the US... I can't speak for other cultures even similar western countries.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
yes, I would say most women I know, most women in the US... I can't speak for other cultures even similar western countries.

Average price of engagement ring in the US: $3500.

Source: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/03/12/engagement-ring-how-to-save-on-diamonds/

You've got to get out of your gated community once in a while. Either that, or you've got to stop drooling over what you think everyone else has. People in these threads VASTLY overestimate the size of the wealthy population of the US and the world.

I'm with Piggie on this one. The Edition will not be the luxury item people think it is.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Average price of engagement ring in the US: $3500.

Source: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/03/12/engagement-ring-how-to-save-on-diamonds/

You've got to get out of your gated community once in a while. Either that, or you've got to stop drooling over what you think everyone else has. People in these threads VASTLY overestimate the size of the wealthy population of the US and the world.

I'm with Piggie on this one. The Edition will not be the luxury item people think it is.

No gated community, i don't live in Florida... :p I'm not saying the watch is a luxury item but that people have expensive items on them without concern of being mugged. If I bought an edition, which is unlikely, it'd be the least of my concerns about being considered pricey.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Edition is going to be uber pricy and aimed at uber rich, it's as simple as that. It may be able to be upgraded, but don't count on it.

Price ranges from..
38mm gold + leather band = $4,999
42mm gold + leather band = $5,999
38mm gold + gold band = $12,999
42mm gold + gold band = $14,999

The stainless steel model will also be pricey starting from $999 with a leather band and $1499 with a metal band. If you want the 42mm SS and the link band, expect to pay over $2,000.

Edition is for the rich.
Stainless Steel will be attainable for most people, but priced high enough to make it a luxury purchase and the one most people will aspire to and want.
The sport watch is the entry level watch for people who don't care about fashion, for young people, for techies.

Last edited:

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Edition is going to be uber pricy and aimed at uber rich, it's as simple as that. It may be able to be upgraded, but don't count on it.

Price ranges from..
38mm gold + leather band = $4,999
42mm gold + leather band = $5,999
38mm gold + gold band = $12,999
42mm gold + gold band = $14,999

The stainless steel model will also be pricey starting from $999 with a leather band and $1499 with a metal band. If you want the 42mm SS and the link band, expect to pay over $2,000.

Edition is for the rich.
Stainless Steel will be attainable for most people, but priced high enough to make it a luxury purchase and the one most people will aspire to and want.
The sport watch is the entry level watch for people who don't care about fashion, for young people, for techies.

I could MAYBE see the price of the Edition go as high as 5K, but the 13K - 15K estimate for the Edition with gold band seems a little high... mostly because there is no gold band. Also, there is absolutely no way that the SS :apple:Watch is starting at $999. Now I may eat my words a week from now, but I doubt it.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I personally think the edition will start at $2-2.5K, and run all the way up to $4K. $10,000 is a little absurd in my opinion.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
... mostly because there is no gold band. Also, there is absolutely no way that the SS :apple:Watch is starting at $999. Now I may eat my words a week from now, but I doubt it.

They just haven't announced it yet, wait till the 9th.

Doesn't it seem strange you can get metal bands for the SS versions but not the gold? Apple have more to reveal.

I think you may be surprised by the pricing, especially the stainless steel. I don't expect it to be just a couple hundred dollars more than the sport, expect around 3x the price.

Last edited:

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
They just haven't announced it yet, wait till the 9th.
They've announced the bands they're gonna announce, if there was a solid gold band it would have been announced together with the other bands back in september last year.

Doesn't it seem strange you can get metal bands for the SS versions but not the gold?
No, a set of solid gold links would have been crazy expensive and really, really heavy. It would have made the Edition work poorly as an exercise tool.

Gold is too soft for the milanese loop, you would likely rip or damage it if the band caught on something.

gregvet

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Brighton, UK
No, a set of solid gold links would have been crazy expensive and really, really heavy. It would have made the Edition work poorly as an exercise tool.

Gold is too soft for the milanese loop, you would likely rip or damage it if the band caught on something.

You don't seriously think people are going to be wearing the edition model with modern or classic buckle for strenuous exercise do you?

A: that's what the sport band is for
B: who wants to get an expensive leather strap all sweaty?

So if they aren't going to wear the leather straps for exercise, what's to stop apple coming out with an uber expensive gold band at some point further down the line, for leisure time with the Apple watch edition.

IMO if the edition models takes off and become a big seller, Apple will come up with all sorts of fancy ways to get more money out of the customers buying them. If they remain niche and a minority of sales, expect them to focus on the cheaper lines.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I just hope the stainless steel with Sport or leather band isn't ridiculously high priced. On Twitter Gruber was saying he expects the link bracelet could be as high as $1999. If Apple has a huge gap between the $349 Sport model and the SS model everyone will buy Sport. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing with the Sport or leather bands that should command a huge premium, same with just the SS watch case. If the link and milanese bands are going to be very expensive then the watch itself shouldn't be. Apple should be looking at what the entry price of the SS model where they could get the most upsells from the Sport model. If it starts out $300-$400 more than the Sport I don't see them getting many upsells.

Last edited:

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
They've announced the bands they're gonna announce, if there was a solid gold band it would have been announced together with the other bands back in september last year.

Of course, Apple may decide to add more options at any time. Next week, next month, next year, whenever they feel like it.

A gold link bracelet seems like a pretty obvious possibility. They are well established in the high-end watch industry. Yes, they are very expensive and heavy.

I think a well-constructed Milanese loop would be strong enough. I've seen very thin gold necklaces stand up to surprising abuse, and a Milanese loop band would be way more substantial.

The bigger problem is that 18K gold isn't normally magnetic, so the magnetic clasp wouldn't work like it does on the stainless steel Milanese loop. They could likely make an 18K alloy with enough iron, cobalt, or nickel content to be magnetic, but the color would be wrong. Cobalt and nickel content might not be suitable for long-term skin contact anyway.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I just hope the stainless steel with Sport or leather band isn't ridiculously high priced. On Twitter Gruber was saying he expects the link bracelet could be as high as $1999. If Apple has a huge gap between the $349 Sport model and the SS model everyone will buy Sport. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing with the Sport or leather bands that should command a huge premium, same with just the SS watch case. If the link and milanese bands are going to be very expensive then the watch itself shouldn't be. Apple should be looking at what the entry price of the SS model where they could get the most upsells from the Sport model. If it starts out $300-$400 more than the Sport I don't see them getting many upsells.

I agree with this. Apple's pricing always manages to drive people up the product line by offering worthwhile upgrades that don't seem too much more expensive, for a few extra hundred dollars you can make your Mac a little better. If the ss watch is around $1000, people won't justify jumping that gap.

If the ss with sport strap starts at $550, that would make me interested, but anymore I'll just get the Sport. I'm expecting it to cost more than that though.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
The good news is that we only have to guess for another 6 days.

Then the guessing will turn into complaining.

Wait until we her about the GB options... $349 Sports 1GB but $399 for 8GB:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.