The iPad needs at LEAST 512MB RAM, if not 1GB.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WilliamG, Dec 9, 2010.

1. WilliamG, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

WilliamG macrumors G3

Here's a prime example:

Load up Infinity Blade. Play for a minute, and then multitask to ANY app. I'll use Safari for this example. I literally just loaded ONE website, which was www.slidetoplay.com. I then "multitasked" back to Infinity Blade, and guess what? It had already run out of memory and reloaded the whole game again.

And no other apps were running in memory at this time.

It's actually quite maddening how pitiful the iPad's multitasking is. It's basically ALMOST two-app multitasking. Like you can get away with loading Mail and Puzzle Quest, but much more than that - forget it.

Really irritating.

I LOVE my iPad, but it's going bye-bye the second iPad 2 comes out.

2. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

cool story

Wanna hear another?

Had mine since day one. Works great for me.

See how useful this post is.

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

4. WilliamG, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2010

WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Actually, my post was quite useful, since - you know - I gave circumstances where the multitasking doesn't work.

And you, you know, didn't bring anything useful to the table. :D

At least that would work! :p

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

While I completely agree, this has been debated ad nauseum. It'll be interesting to see what iPad 2.0 brings and if the iPad becomes the main iOS device like the iPhone currently is.

Somehow I don't think it will.

6. Gqkevyn macrumors newbie

I agree 100% with the OP. This is not enough ram to multitask at all. It barely keeps me running youtube videos in Safari without force closing if too many windows are open (not sure if this is a RAM issue, but I think it is)

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well as the Blackberry Playbook is going to have 1GB of Ram, and I guess be out around the same time as the iPad2

It would look pretty poor for Apple's Second Generation tablet to have less ram than Blackberry's 1st tablet attempt.

Not sure how much it will matter in reality, but as apps/games bet larger over time, it would give the iPad2 a better long term life if they jumped up to 1GB to match the Playbook, even if they feel it may not really need it now.

8. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Right, and Apple would not be fragmenting their user base. They can still request of developers that games/apps not use more than X amount of RAM so that they still run on iPad 1. But for iPad 2 users, they'll enjoy much more useful multitasking.

In my eyes, it's a no brainer. And really, I felt since day 1 that the iPad was crippled by its lack of RAM. Can't wait for the second gen.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Anyone have Infinity Blade on an iPhone4? How many apps are you able to multitask before Infinity Blade shuts down on you?

10. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Tell you in a few minutes! Just downloading it now to my iPhone 4 as well.

11. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

We all know as you have made it abundantly clear from day one. We have also agreed with your assessment.

Slow day in the office?

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I am still confused why a web page reloads when I press the back button.

Should it not be instant?

13. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Like you wouldn't believe. :p

And anyway, let's not forget not everyone bothers reading the nonsense I write, so I write for everyone. :D

14. phyrexia, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2010

phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I mean, ha, you are right, but I tire of the discussion. ;)

The VM hack worked well for me under 3.2.1 but I have not performed it under 4.2.1 yet.

----------------------------------------

The iPad does not have 2gb of RAM like your average desktop or laptop computer, and as a result, it does note store web pages in memory like a pc/mac does. It forgets a page almost as soon as you navigate away from it, and must reload the page when you attempt to look at it again.

This is the same sort of thing that OP is complaining about. There is not enough RAM for him to play the the game, pause the game, look at a webpage, and come back to the game. The iPad forgets the game and has to reload it.

15. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Agreed, but again your post is spot on. I expect Apple not to disappoint this go round. Hell, they really didn't disappoint first time out of the gate. I'm sure Acer, Dell, et al wish they could have had as successful a launch for a 1st gen product.

16. emmab2006 macrumors member

256MB Ram is fine for me ... had my ipad a week and abit .. loving it .. 1GB would be to much for something with IOS .. and a highly doubt apple will give it a fully featured OS in the future .... ive noticed no slow downs .. even with IOS 4.2.1

17. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

We're not talking about slowdowns. You've had your iPad a week. Speak to us in a while. :p

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I suppose I expected it to at least hold enough for a few web pages.

Then how to browsers with tabs hold onto past pages then?

I suppose they are storing data in the Flash memory are they?

19. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Apple will probably cheap out and use 512 from the iPhone. I know that I was completely insulted when 256 was in the iPad and 512 was in the iPhone. So I sold it.

The iPad needs to have more RAM in the iPhone IMHO. It runs much heavier apps.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

More doesn't mean better.

RIM CEO explains their tablet is so resource intensive, they cannot fit it in the smartphone factor:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/...igible-look-at-blackberry-os-playbook-future/

21. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

Does Infinity Blade even support the fast app switching?

It's not true multitasking. When you switch to Safari, Infinity Blade is basically put into a suspended state where it saves where you were (assuming it takes advantage of Apple's fast app switching API - which it may not, I don't know).

For example, I have like 20 apps in the fast app switching bar, my iPad runs fine.

People often get confused, when you switch away from the app, its not sitting in the background continuously running.

A good test: Load a page in Safari, half way through loading, switch to a different app, when you come back to Safari, it will be where you left it, the page didn't continue to load after you switched away from it.

NOTE: The above is not true for GPS and some audio apps.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I agree, iPad needs more RAM. That is why I'm not buying wont now.

23. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Open on my iPhone 4:

Infinity Blade, Phone, Mail, Tiki Totems 2, Dungeon Raid, Angry Birds. I stopped there.

No problem switching between any of them.

24. UncleHuey macrumors newbie

I thought there was no difference between ram and storage on these things. That would men the iPad has a minimum of 16 gigs.

25. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

You thought wrong. :p