Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 206 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 222 42.5%
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Votes: 94 18.0%

• Total voters

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
iPhone has never competed directly with a professional-level DSLR. It's meant to be the camera you always have with you, as carrying around a bulky DSLR and lenses everywhere you go doesn't make any sense.

But this is MacRumors. When Apple prefers form over function, people complain. When Apple prefers function over form, people still complain.
I don’t think smartphones ever will be capable of competing against DSLR’s with multiple lenses either. Digital pixel replication can only work so well and a decent lens on a proper camera will always be able to see what a smartphone cannot IMHO.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
iPhone has never competed directly with a professional-level DSLR. It's meant to be the camera you always have with you, as carrying around a bulky DSLR and lenses everywhere you go doesn't make any sense.

But this is MacRumors. When Apple prefers form over function, people complain. When Apple prefers function over form, people still complain.
They have definitely put in a huge amount of work on this new camera. Why they felt the need to sacrifice so much of the aesthetics of it for a less than marginal jump is beyond me, IMO it's the most unattractive iPhone they've ever made. Can't wait to not buy it this time around.

Reactions: eyoungren

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
They have definitely put in a huge amount of work on this new camera. Why they felt the need to sacrifice so much of the aesthetics of it for a less than marginal jump is beyond me, IMO it's the most unattractive iPhone they've ever made. Can't wait to not buy it this time around.
That’s crazy talk the 6 and 6s looked way worse than this.

I actually think the way the designed the bump to be part of the glass back is actually really impressive/nice looking.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015

I actually think the way the designed the bump to be part of the glass back is actually really impressive/nice looking.
Those phones without the bulky monolithic lenses, agreed.

I'm still good with my XS Max until next year but as always I'll be looking forward most to the iOS upgrade.

Reactions: Tsepz

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How so?

The camera bump on the 6s+ is far smaller than this. Unless you are lumping the antenna lines in with that assessment? But if you are, that's not really part of the topic - which is about the camera bump itself.

As the owner of a 6s+ I take no joy in the back of the phone, but comparatively the smaller bump looks better on it than what's there on the 11 Pro.

Reactions: DJ_Smith

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
How so?

The camera bump on the 6s+ is far smaller than this. Unless you are lumping the antenna lines in with that assessment? But if you are, that's not really part of the topic - which is about the camera bump itself.

As the owner of a 6s+ I take no joy in the back of the phone, but comparatively the smaller bump looks better on it than what's there on the 11 Pro.
I’m just talking looks in general.

there really is no comparison between the 6 cameras and the 11 pro. It’s like comparing the quality of a 480p video to a 4K video. It would be impossible to achieve the camera quality we have with a similar bump to the 6, and I’m not sure how else a triple camera setup could look much better.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
People are a little too worried about/nitpicky about what iPhones look like, but yeah, it's the ugliest iPhone of all time.

I'm using the term "ugly" loosely here as I still think it's a beautiful device and I still think it looks better than anything else out there, but it's the "ugliest" iPhone ever made for sure.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m just talking looks in general.

there really is no comparison between the 6 cameras and the 11 pro. It’s like comparing the quality of a 480p video to a 4K video. It would be impossible to achieve the camera quality we have with a similar bump to the 6, and I’m not sure how else a triple camera setup could look much better.
That's the argument then isn't it?

Depending on whether you need this or not, it probably determines which side of the form/function argument you fall on.

I am just fine with what 2009 era phones provide in a camera. I don't need any of the other stuff, so the aesthetic is the thing for me. Others won't care because they need or want the capability.

I wonder how this is going to play out. It's been obvious for a few years now that Apple is pursuing those who want camera upgrades.

Reactions: DJ_Smith

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
People are a little too worried about/nitpicky about what iPhones look like, but yeah, it's the ugliest iPhone of all time.

I'm using the term "ugly" loosely here as I still think it's a beautiful device and I still think it looks better than anything else out there, but it's the "ugliest" iPhone ever made for sure.
What makes it ugly? 3 camera lenses? I’m assuming there is a technical reason for camera layout the way it is. So should the camera be stagnant (or the phone a lot heavier) just for aesthetic purposes?
Because that’s why people buy new phones and it’s what the competition is doing. It would be a dereliction of duty for Apple to sacrifice camera improvements for aesthetics. The new Pixel is also going to have a camera bump like this but I’ll bet it doesn’t get nearly the attention as the iPhone 11 bump does. Certainly not if the pictures are amazing.

Pixel-4-render.jpg

Last edited:

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
When Apple prefers form over function, people complain. When Apple prefers function over form, people still complain.

That’s a valid point and it did make me think.

But then again, I suppose there’s a balance that Apple needs to strike. That camera bump is the ugliest yet and I’m pretty sure they could have come up with something more pleasing than that monstrosity.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So should the camera be stagnant (or the phone a lot heavier) just for aesthetic purposes?
I guess that all depends on whether you need/want the function that an upgraded camera provides. It would seem that if you do the aesthetic doesn't bother you, but if you don't (I don't need it) then the aesthetic does bother (possibly).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I guess that all depends on whether you need/want the function that an upgraded camera provides. It would seem that if you do the aesthetic doesn't bother you, but if you don't (I don't need it) then the aesthetic does bother (possibly).
I think you’re out of luck because every smartphone maker is focusing on the camera. Unless you get the cheapest phone in a lineup. Then you might not have a camera bump.

leoshaun

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
You don't speak for everyone. I care what it looks like.

The back of the phone is hideous.

Furthermore, the hideous part, the camera bumps, are not concealed by cases, so slapping a case on it doesn't hide the ugliness.
lets be real though. How often are you looking at the back of your phone?
Also think about how you may have felt about the notch when it came out compared to now. I know i wasn't keen but i couldn't care less now. Im so used to it?

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
What makes it ugly? 3 camera lenses? I’m assuming there is a technical reason for camera layout the way it is. So should the camera be stagnant (or the phone a lot heavier) just for aesthetic purposes?

Because that’s why people buy new phones and it’s what the competition is doing. It would be a dereliction of duty for Apple to sacrifice camera improvements for aesthetics. The new Pixel is also going to have a camera bump like this but I’ll bet it doesn’t get nearly the attention as the iPhone 11 bump does. Certainly not if the pictures are amazing.

Pixel-4-render.jpg

Yeah, the triple-camera bump. Make no mistake, I'm not saying they shouldn't have done it...they need to keep up with the competition along with improving their technology. But it definitely makes it a bit more of an eyesore.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think you’re out of luck because every smartphone maker is focusing on the camera. Unless you get the cheapest phone in a lineup. Then you might not have a camera bump.
IDK. Part of my reasoning for choosing the Pixel 3a XL was the fact that it's camera bump is quite small. I spend a number of years with a phone (typically 3.5-4 years) before I upgrade so it's also possible that either this camera fad will pass or technology will advance enough that it's possible to reduce or eliminate the bump.

Additionally, everyone keeps talking a redesign of the iPhone in 2020. I have hope yet, but we'll see.
[doublepost=1568217948][/doublepost]
lets be real though. How often are you looking at the back of your phone?
Also think about how you may have felt about the notch when it came out compared to now. I know i wasn't keen but i couldn't care less now. Im so used to it?
How many people set their phones down face down? I don't buy this argument when setting the phone down on the front seems to be a major thing.

As far as the notch, it was a non-issue to me, just like the bump is to you. Yet expressing an opinion about the notch on MR seems to be acceptable but not about the camera bump.

leoshaun

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
As far as the notch, it was a non-issue to me, just like the bump is to you. Yet expressing an opinion about the notch on MR seems to be acceptable but not about the camera bump.

Expressing your opinion is fine, i'm just trying to make some of yous realise that maybe in time you'll get used to it and not care.
I've seen the leaks for ages now and honestly don't believe its bad as some of yous are making out.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Expressing your opinion is fine, i'm just trying to make some of yous realise that maybe in time you'll get used to it and not care.
I've seen the leaks for ages now and honestly don't believe its bad as some of yous are making out.
Gotcha.

Have to say though that I've been waiting for the bump to go away since the iPhone 6/6+ was launched - so my opinion has only gotten stronger since 2014 as each new model has made the bump larger and larger.

I imagine you're right in regards to most Apple customers (if it's even something they notice) but there is a small group of us here on MR that continue to object to the camera bump.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I don't give a hoot about looks because it's going into a case as soon as I pull it out of the box. As to iPhone (Or any phone) vs DSLR it's not a direct competition. It's just not feasible to wear a DSLR hanging around your neck when you walk around doing every day tasks or working. I'm not saying it's impossible but I've never seen it done. Carrying a phone in your pocket is not only possible but most people do it. This way when something happens where you need to take a picture you can do so. Both have their purposes and one will not replace the other in the near future.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Gotcha.

Have to say though that I've been waiting for the bump to go away since the iPhone 6/6+ was launched - so my opinion has only gotten stronger since 2014 as each new model has made the bump larger and larger.

I imagine you're right in regards to most Apple customers (if it's even something they notice) but there is a small group of us here on MR that continue to object to the camera bump.
There's no "bump" when it's inside a case. Perhaps you have the $$$$ to carry around a $1000+ phone unprotected but most people I know don't do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.