Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
So it’s now been a week of using my iPhone XR and it is fantastic. I love this iPhone. It’s one of the best iPhones that Apple has ever released. It has a fantastic balance between function and form.

One of my favourite aspects of the iPhone XR is the fact that it uses a gorgeous LCD panel and OLED burn in is something that requires no consideration whatsoever. You simply have the option of using your display at any brightness for any given period of time. The LCD display to me looks no different in terms resolution in normal use to that of the OLED. I also find that the LCD in this iPhone doesn’t have that horrible glare that OLEDs seem to emit that over long periods of use can cause eye fatigue. The screen real estate is great, it’s the perfect in between at 6.1” to enjoy your content and not have a phone that is unwieldy and cumbersome.

The battery life of this iPhone is far better than that of the iPhone XS and even the XS Max, it’s fantastic! You can get through a full day without an issue and have plenty of juice left over for your evening.

The cameras are both as expected, just as capable as the XS and XS Max and produce the same quality in terms of photo and video. Everything looks wonderful and you can capture some amazing shots and footage! Yes this is at the omission of the second rear telephoto lens but this for myself I found to be a non issue due to the fact I use both the front facing camera and wide angle lens more often and have a DSLR for my other photography needs.

I love the fact that you are still getting that powerhouse A12 Bionic. The phone is super snappy and performs like a champ! I find that it never gets hot and remains rather cool to the touch even after long periods of use.

The build quality of the iPhone XR feels premium and doesn’t at all feel cheap. The aluminium band with glass front and back is lovely to both look at and hold in the hand.

With the iPhone XR you still get all of the features that you’d want in a premium phone with a premium experiment yet without the extra cash outlay of an iPhone XS/XS Max. After having used the iPhone XS and XS Max thoroughly I can safely say that I by far enjoy using the XR a lot more.

The iPhone XR is definitely worth the purchase! Have a great day everyone and take care.

zx128k

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2018
Great, glad it works for you.

Unfortunately I finding it to big and heavy for one handed use as a phone so mine will probably go back and I’ll get an iPhone 7 or 8.

Also has anyone actually had OLED burn on an X?

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
Ok, I’m officially sold based on this post. I have been contemplating this past week whether to move from the 8 Plus to the XR. I figured if I could sell my 8 Plus to my son for enough to cover the outstanding balance due on it to AT&T, I’d pull the trigger on the XR.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Ok, I’m officially sold based on this post. I have been contemplating this past week whether to move from the 8 Plus to the XR. I figured if I could sell my 8 Plus to my son for enough to cover the outstanding balance due on it to AT&T, I’d pull the trigger on the XR.
I had the 8+. Upgraded to XS. Was so tempted by XR I bought one to try after hours in-store not making the decision for me.

It’s an awesome phone. I feel confident you will love it. Imagine a bigger screen than the 8+ and better battery life. The screen is amazing.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2017
Great, glad it works for you.

Unfortunately I finding it to big and heavy for one handed use as a phone so mine will probably go back and I’ll get an iPhone 7 or 8.

Also has anyone actually had OLED burn on an X?

I’ve noticed it feels more bulky, is the XR thicker than the 7 and 8?

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
2459701F-BA1A-4BA6-82E8-0AB3AEE92065.jpeg

Don’t be. Do your own research. Just how much time could he have spent completely evaluating the Xs/Max. Efore having to return them?
If the XR is for you, get it and be happy with it. It is a great Phone.
The cameras produce decidedly different results as shown below (this from MR) and there are many other examples as well. The dual lenses are a great convenience that can’t be underestimated. If you have, and want to haul around all that extra weight and bulk of a DSLR by all means do so, but for the average person their phone and camera are their first choice.

Whatever you get, enjoy it, and be happy for what others purchased. Don’t don’t try to justify why they are "wrong".
Good luck. I love the XR colors that are available. Even though I use a case (Zizo Red and Black), I do wish I could have bought a (product) Red.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
So it’s now been a week of using my iPhone XR and it is fantastic. I love this iPhone. It’s one of the best iPhones that Apple has ever released. It has a fantastic balance between function and form.

One of my favourite aspects of the iPhone XR is the fact that it uses a gorgeous LCD panel and OLED burn in is something that requires no consideration whatsoever. You simply have the option of using your display at any brightness for any given period of time. The LCD display to me looks no different in terms resolution in normal use to that of the OLED. I also find that the LCD in this iPhone doesn’t have that horrible glare that OLEDs seem to emit that over long periods of use can cause eye fatigue. The screen real estate is great, it’s the perfect in between at 6.1” to enjoy your content and not have a phone that is unwieldy and cumbersome.

The battery life of this iPhone is far better than that of the iPhone XS and even the XS Max, it’s fantastic! You can get through a full day without an issue and have plenty of juice left over for your evening.

The cameras are both as expected, just as capable as the XS and XS Max and produce the same quality in terms of photo and video. Everything looks wonderful and you can capture some amazing shots and footage! Yes this is at the omission of the second rear telephoto lens but this for myself I found to be a non issue due to the fact I use both the front facing camera and wide angle lens more often and have a DSLR for my other photography needs.

I love the fact that you are still getting that powerhouse A12 Bionic. The phone is super snappy and performs like a champ! I find that it never gets hot and remains rather cool to the touch even after long periods of use.

The build quality of the iPhone XR feels premium and doesn’t at all feel cheap. The aluminium band with glass front and back is lovely to both look at and hold in the hand.

With the iPhone XR you still get all of the features that you’d want in a premium phone with a premium experiment yet without the extra cash outlay of an iPhone XS/XS Max. After having used the iPhone XS and XS Max thoroughly I can safely say that I by far enjoy using the XR a lot more.

The iPhone XR is definitely worth the purchase! Have a great day everyone and take care.

Sorry I disagree I like xs max, returning my xr.

Reactions: Jordan921

MattyTheMid

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
I had the 8+. Upgraded to XS. Was so tempted by XR I bought one to try after hours in-store not making the decision for me.

It’s an awesome phone. I feel confident you will love it. Imagine a bigger screen than the 8+ and better battery life. The screen is amazing.

Which phone are you sticking with? My mind has changed 3 times a day for the past week while trying to decide between the Xs and Xr. Also been to an Apple store to play with both and I can't decide at all I feel both have their pros and cons and it is a really tough decision.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
090353A9-DD23-4D62-98BF-629532F2CDE8.jpeg
646730D9-52A9-4C28-96D9-EF1BF45CD32C.jpeg
XR & XS photos. They are so close it’s a wash IMO...outside of portrait.

Here is a good color and dynamic range shot for both.
[doublepost=1541251667][/doublepost]
Which phone are you sticking with? My mind has changed 3 times a day for the past week while trying to decide between the Xs and Xr. Also been to an Apple store to play with both and I can't decide at all I feel both have their pros and cons and it is a really tough decision.

It’s a really hard decision. I was all XR and then last night back to the XS aw it’s so small and easy in-hand. Both screens great. Both cameras great. Internals the same. Where I’m at is figuring out which is right size. Battery life of XR is nuts.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
It’s a really hard decision. I was all XR and then last night back to the XS aw it’s so small and easy in-hand. Both screens great. Both cameras great. Internals the same. Where I’m at is figuring out which is right size. Battery life of XR is nuts.[/QUOTE]

You’re right about the battery. I pulled mine off the charger at about 8:30 or 9 yesterday morning, and used it all day yesterday for normal stuff (texts, phone calls, checking emails, playing a game on it for a bit), then last night I played a game on and off a couple times, then read various forums for an hour or more once I got in bed, and this morning (almost 9 a.m., so a full 24 hours later), I have 43% battery.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
One thing I’ve found that seems weird is Zoomed display on the XR = XS. I am used to using second to smallest setting and with Standard Zoom on the XR text is really small in Safari. Using this thread. Also, adjusting the system text size from 2nd to 3rd smallest doesn’t seem to change anything. Still really small on Standard Zoom. When I switch to Zoomed on XR the text = size on XS.

Reactions: MattyTheMid

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010

Really? Interesting. I mean, I’m on Team XR too - it’s a great device, and my choice over the XS - but I don’t see the LCD display as a positive. To my eyes, the XS/XS Max’s OLEDs are clearly superior, and it’s not close. Color & resolution on the XR just aren’t the same. Though I’ll grant you that under many circumstances, the differences are minor. But I’m not convinced that burn-in is truly an issue at all, and certainly not one that requires careful consideration from anyone to avoid. I’ve seen no evidence of that.

The LCD is fine. It’s acceptable to me. And my position is that it’s good enough to sway me towards the XR, based on the strength of its other features - primarily, for me, battery life, which the XS models cannot match.

We all have different eyes, and if you find the LCD to be better than the OLED, more power to you. I’m not trying to convince you otherwise. And based on the threads I’m reading here, there are indeed a few other people who feel the same way...but it’s certainly a minority opinion.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
The LCD isn’t better than the OLED. Considering all aspects of both it’s a 10 for OLED and 9.7 for the LCD. There are areas/images where I can see the better blacks & HDR in some images but I really have to look. Really have to look close.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
One thing I’ve found that seems weird is Zoomed display on the XR = XS. I am used to using second to smallest setting and with Standard Zoom on the XR text is really small in Safari. Using this thread. Also, adjusting the system text size from 2nd to 3rd smallest doesn’t seem to change anything. Still really small on Standard Zoom. When I switch to Zoomed on XR the text = size on XS.
What did he say?

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
What did he say?

I am saying that not only is the text size smaller on the standard view for XR but it doesn’t adjust in Safari when you adjust the text size in Settings. Only if you put XR in Zoomed mode does text size in Safari on the XR equal the text size on XS.

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
I also find that the LCD in this iPhone doesn’t have that horrible glare that OLEDs seem to emit that over long periods of use can cause eye fatigue.

I'm sensitive and this glare has always bothered me. Not too many reviews astutely pick this up.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I am saying that not only is the text size smaller on the standard view for XR but it doesn’t adjust in Safari when you adjust the text size in Settings. Only if you put XR in Zoomed mode does text size in Safari on the XR equal the text size on XS.
Got it!

Seth Matthews

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The Ether

I am glad you like your phone and that is all that matters really, but I disagree with you here. I have an XS Max and I take it off the charger at 5:00 am and have around 40% left when I go to bed at 10:00 PM. Battery life is fantastic. So, I don't see the benefit of losing everything else I get with the Max to go the XR.

Enjoy your phone!

MattyTheMid

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
View attachment 800906 View attachment 800907 XR & XS photos. They are so close it’s a wash IMO...outside of portrait.

Here is a good color and dynamic range shot for both.
[doublepost=1541251667][/doublepost]

It’s a really hard decision. I was all XR and then last night back to the XS aw it’s so small and easy in-hand. Both screens great. Both cameras great. Internals the same. Where I’m at is figuring out which is right size. Battery life of XR is nuts.

Thanks for sharing the photos, both look great only differences I notice are at the gate but I am no professional photographer. I am glad I am not the only one who cannot make a choice on this :)

The display is not a big issue for me it is the size of Xs vs the battery life and the double storage for $50 of Xr I am struggling to decide between. I don't change phones too often and want whatever phone I get to hopefully last 3 years.

Reactions: Jovijoker

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Thanks for sharing the photos, both look great only differences I notice are at the gate but I am no professional photographer. I am glad I am not the only one who cannot make a choice on this :)

The display is not a big issue for me it is the size of Xs vs the battery life and the double storage for $50 of Xr I am struggling to decide between. I don't change phones too often and want whatever phone I get to hopefully last 3 years.
Both will last 3 years easy. Core intervals the same. Over 3 years the battery life of XR will he appreciated.

On the images, so close. Can change image to image. In this case notice the green area of bushes in the shadow. XR brings the shadows ‘up’ a tad and seems to lose some color. The XS, bottom, allows the shadows to stay lower and retain more color. It’s nitpicky for sure. Both great cameras.

Reactions: MattyTheMid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.