Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
If the player was injured or suspended (ie, definitely not going to play) that 'i' box would be red. If he's a serious doubt (ie, he might not play due to a niggling injury) then said box would be amber.

For example...

View attachment 244348

...in this screenshot we can see that they reckon both Cueller and Drogba are serious doubts. Of course, that's their opinon and they're not always right. ;)

Soooooo, because of that stupid little yellow 'i', I sat Drogba. My fault, to be sure, but I'm lost as to where to start looking for info. What sources do you all use to evaluate player's health? Also, what are some reputable football news sites in England? The Premier Leagues website is awful looking for the information I need. I know here in the US for our version of Fantasy Football, there's literally thousands of sites to get fantasy info from and a dozen or more I use regularly to check out stuff. I know we're in a competition, but a little friendly help would be appreciated. I just don't know this league at all and I'm having trouble evaluating the games, teams and players. Thanks!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Soooooo, because of that stupid little yellow 'i', I sat Drogba. My fault, to be sure, but I'm lost as to where to start looking for info. What sources do you all use to evaluate player's health? Also, what are some reputable football news sites in England? The Premier Leagues website is awful looking for the information I need. I know here in the US for our version of Fantasy Football, there's literally thousands of sites to get fantasy info from and a dozen or more I use regularly to check out stuff. I know we're in a competition, but a little friendly help would be appreciated. I just don't know this league at all and I'm having trouble evaluating the games, teams and players. Thanks!

The difference between the NFL and EPL is that in the NFL teams have to (but rules of the league) report injuries. EPL teams are under no such rules. The BBC website posts a preview of each game on Friday, listing any injuries that each team may have, but unless a team talks to the press no-one knows for sure who is in the lineup until half and hour before the game.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
The difference between the NFL and EPL is that in the NFL teams have to (but rules of the league) report injuries. EPL teams are under no such rules. The BBC website posts a preview of each game on Friday, listing any injuries that each team may have, but unless a team talks to the press no-one knows for sure who is in the lineup until half and hour before the game.

Good info, Swiftaw and nice start to the season! I will definitely check the BBC's site for the highlights. This season will be a steep learning curve for me, so I appreciate your help! Didn't know that the injury reports were complete speculation. In the NFL, teams use the injury reports a bit tongue-in-cheek, but "doubtful" almost always means there's about a 0-20% chance of playing. Guess not so much in the PL. Live and learn, I guess.:p

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings

Here's one:

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/

If you are not sure a star player will play, put him in and have the first substitute warming up. Of course if I had followed my own advice, I wouldn't have kicked Bent out!

Cheers,
OW

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
can i have the codes to join ?
I'll PM you the League code when I'm at my computer this evening. I normally close the League to new entries after the first few gameweeks, but you're in before the door is bolted. ;)

Unfortunately you won't be able to enter the Cup though, as this closes off to new entrants when the competition starts. But you're fine for the League.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
I'm just trying to lull you guys into a false sense of security!

I thought I was doing OK, most of my players played, got a few points each, one was sent off, a few goals, 19 points. I thought great! Then I notice that some folk got 60+ points! Am I doing anything obviously wrong, such as failed to tick a secret box that awards lots of points?:confused:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Judging by the amount of points everybody else is amassing, I'm hoping I'm the only one who hasn't used their wild cards!
I do this every year, you know. I'm just pleased with my self control that I didn't use it immediately after Gameweek 1. :p

So, anyone have Walcott? Seems like half the league have Bale, he seemed like a bargain.
Bale does look a bit of a bargain, the cat is well and truly out of the bag so far as he's concerned.

Some games actually have him down as a defender so he's even more valuable in those systems. The game we're using has him classed as a midfielder unfortunately, otherwise he'd be a complete points monster and well worth his weight in Welsh gold.

I normally close the League to new entries after the first few gameweeks...
On that note, I'll be locking the League to newcomers on 1st September, so if anyone isn't in by then they're, well, not in.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Anyway, time for a bit of an update. Although August isn't quite over yet no more fixtures are going to be played, with our players heading off to represent their national sides. Well, not the English ones of course – it seems most of them will be sat at home with a cold flannel on their brows lamenting their unfortunate niggling injuries, the great bloody girls.

However, a word of caution. It's come to my attention that The Big Boys, with adamtoome as their ringleader, have been bullying their way around the MacRumors Fantasy playground this past month. adamtoome has been pilfering points left, right and centre with Chinese ropeburns, wedgies and – most frightening of all – Didier Drogba as his weapons of choice. :eek:

The Big Boys' tally of 201 points for August is unmatched, so as a result adamtoome has earned himself the first MacRumors Manager of the Month award of the new season.

Big-Boys.jpg

Well done adamtoome :) – and to the rest of you, if any Big Boys try pinching your dinner money I want you to tell a teacher straight away. ;)

The League table is of course at a very early stage so not too much can be read into it yet, but in case you're wondering how your Fantasy charges are faring, here's the standings for the end of Gameweek 3...

League-Table_August.png

Finally, we've attracted a few new managers over the last few weeks bring the total number of those taking part to a pleasing 20. However, if you've not yet signed up there is still a little time left to do so. The League will be locked at the end of the month, so if you're not registered with me by the end of the 31st (GMT) you'll miss out I'm afraid. Just drop me a PM or state your interest in this thread, and we'll get you sorted out.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
In a last minute switch, I decided at 11.25 yesterday morning to transfer out Sagna of Arsenal in favour of Blackburn's defensive type Samba, partially to free up some funds for future buys and also because I've less confidence in Arsenal keeping a clean sheet then I have an excitable two-year old who's drunk a lot before bed time.

Lo and behold, Arsenal concede in the dying seconds while new boy Samba pops up with a goal for his side. Jaffa = Tactical Genius. :p

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Well played, sir. I had my best week ever and still got crushed by your team's offensive explosion. Again, well played.:)

Think I'll be playing the WC this week. My defenders are AWFUL. Oh, and who here doesn't have Drogba? I wanna play that team!:D

I don't have Drogba! :eek:

Explains why I'm bottom of the table ;) I actually had a decent gameweek this time around; thank you Joe Hart for getting an assist ;D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Well played, sir. I had my best week ever and still got crushed by your team's offensive explosion. Again, well played.:)

Think I'll be playing the WC this week. My defenders are AWFUL. Oh, and who here doesn't have Drogba? I wanna play that team!:D
Fret not, Tilpots – it's still early days yet. ;)

This is actually a good point to remind folk that this year we get two wild cards, previously we've only had one. The catch is though that this second wild card can only be played during the January transfer window, the original wild card can still be played any Gameweek you like, however.

A tip for you, Tilpots – if you're looking to change defenders there are two types to look for, beyond those whose teams are likely to be strong defensively. Look for centre backs who like to get forward for set pieces, they can often chip in with valuable goals to boost your tally. Attack minded wing backs are another good choice, if they bomb forward to help attacks you can pick up assist points and even the odd goal. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.