Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
A tip for you, Tilpots – if you're looking to change defenders there are two types to look for, beyond those whose teams are likely to be strong defensively. Look for centre backs who like to get forward for set pieces, they can often chip in with valuable goals to boost your tally. Attack minded wing backs are another good choice, if they bomb forward to help attacks you can pick up assist points and even the odd goal. ;)

Excellent advice. I have played the Wildcard, so look for the Stoplights to start climbing the rankings in both the League and Cup standings!

*Looking at you, Nieval's Angry Mob*:D

Nieval

Suspended
Mar 13, 2008
*Looking at you, Nieval's Angry Mob*:D

*Meets Tiplots stare from across the room and shakes an angry fist back at him* :D

I know this is where I'm suppose to say some funny and witty game trash talk but I'm hopelessly terrible at those sort of things so instead may the best man win. :p

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Excellent advice. I have played the Wildcard, so look for the Stoplights to start climbing the rankings in both the League and Cup standings!
Hmm – you may have taken a bit of a gamble playing it this early in the week, there are still some League Cup games to be played tonight so there's always the possibility that one or two of your new acquisitions may pick up an injury. Fingers crossed they come through unscathed. :eek:

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Hmm – you may have taken a bit of a gamble playing it this early in the week, there are still some League Cup games to be played tonight so there's always the possibility that one or two of your new acquisitions may pick up an injury. Fingers crossed they come through unscathed. :eek:

Once again, I have been exposed for the novice I am. Thanks for the well wishes.

The WC was soooo different. Where's Maicon and Mueller when I need them? ;)

*Meets Tiplots stare from across the room and shakes an angry fist back at him* :D

I know this is where I'm suppose to say some funny and witty game trash talk but I'm hopelessly terrible at those sort of things so instead may the best man win. :p

I think the best men have been winning, that's my problem! Good luck this week... :)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Time for our monthly review then – here's the table as it stands at the end of September...

League-Table_September.png

The table is still topped by The Big Boys, news that will no doubt please their manager adamtoome. However, his lead is only a slender one and there are points throughout the table where things are a little on the tight side, so a good scoring week for any of us could pay dividends insofar as the table is concerned.

Anyway, well done adamtoome. :)

And so onto the MacRumors Manager of the Month award for September. But first a quick reminder on how the award is actually decided. The decision purely rests on which manager (or in some rare instances, managers) has collected the most points in the given month, it's not actually something that I make a judgement on. I mention this because the winner of the award this month is... er... me. :eek:

Sporting-Dual-Cores.jpg

That's right, somehow my Sporting Dual-Cores have conspired to pick up more points than any other side this month – 167 in fact. As I say though, it's the table that decides and not me – but by an absolutely amazing coincidence I decided a while back that the winner of the September award would receive a solid gold trophy, a generously large cheque and a month's unrestricted access to the MacRumors Moderators' penthouse suite.

So see you later chaps, I'm off for a jacuzzi. :cool:

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Well done Jaffa, on earning the manager of the month award. I'm pretty impressed that I was third this month! Wasn't expecting that at all... and I'm not last in the table anymore! :D:D That's a great achievement for me, since I only joined in gameweek 3. I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come :)

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
So you got more points in a month than I have achieved total! :eek:
I'm now taking advice from somebody more in the know about English football.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Heh – I have Nani in my team so I'm rather pleased with that, along with my decision to bring in 14 point Nasri this week. It's all beneficial. :D

I'm slightly less pleased with captain Drogba's performance the weekend mind, so swings and roundabouts and all that.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Mr. Cake,

Why so blue? Sporting Dual-Cores is doing pretty well...:)

On another note, since the Stoplights have played the Wild Card, team morale has improved greatly, ticket sales are up and souvenirs are flying off the shelf. There are several of you out there who have helped me greatly and I just want to let you know it's appreciated. You all have Stoplight table coasters coming to you as gifts!:p

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I'll post up an updated league table once this Gameweek's action is completed, but that doesn't top me from warding October's MacRumors Manager of the Month. Oh no.

The most successful team over the course of the month were the SF Giants, so the plaudits go to their manage Silencio.

SF-Giants.png

Silencio's boys are standing head and shoulders at the top of the monthly rankings with a towering tally of 247 points – his rivals though will no doubt be looking to cut him down to size in November.

Well done Silencio. :)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Mine's only showing up as one transfer – did you not make any changes in the last Gameweek? Don't forget that from this season if you don't make a transfer one Gameweek it's rolled over into the next (so you get two free) – I suspect that's what's maybe happened?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC

Congrats Silencio! The SF Giants owned the month of October on both sides of the pond and in two sports!:D

A reminder that there are midweek games this week

Indeed – the deadline for Gameweek 12 is 7.30pm on Tuesday, that's Englandshire time of course.

Does Gameweek 12 include these midweek games AND the weekend games or does Gameweek 13 start after the midweek games?

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Silencio's boys are standing head and shoulders at the top of the monthly rankings with a towering tally of 247 points – his rivals though will no doubt be looking to cut him down to size in November.

Haha! That shirt is fantastic. Good work.

My objective this season was to finish above the relegation zone. Thankfully some of my players caught fire and I was able to cut out some of the deadwood from my squad. I feel like Bruce Bochy, without the gargantuan head.

November looks like a more challenging month for my squad. Some of my key players have been battling injury, and some of my recent pickups have gone off the boil after having a run of good weeks previously. I'm going to have to get creative for my midweek matches.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Anybody with Kevin Davies as their Captain this week will be absolutely jumping for joy... Somehow I doubt that's many people? :p

Almost for me...I have him starting, but not as my captain. I may jump on the Andy Carroll bandwagon once I make a couple more trades and free up funds.

I got hit with a few injuries all at once and then forgot to make trades...but thanks to Jaffa's reminder I realized that I could make two this weekend, and now I'm back on track. :D

Still holding a solid top ten position.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Almost for me...I have him starting, but not as my captain. I may jump on the Andy Carroll bandwagon once I make a couple more trades and free up funds.

Carroll's been pretty good for me as my third striker. I had an excellent run earlier in the season with Darren Bent and Tevez, had to move them both out when they got injured. I added Berbatov after that, but then he stopped scoring again. Also having some buyer's remorse on Nasri.

Thank goodness for Hangeland and N'Zogbia, they got me crucial points last weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.