Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I just found out about this, sorry if it's been answered.

I will buy it if I can use the Swipe Back/Forward feature in Safari.

Thanks.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Just unlocked it and it is a great feature to have. For me, multitasking gestures is a lot more responsive compared to a single off screen button.

Activator in the Jailbroken environment has something similar but it just never work for me.

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
It works with iPad 2 according to some comments on my blog (see my signature). I cannot confirm directly as I have an iPad 1. But the commenter has maintained a steady presence on my blog over time, and seems both technically adept and honest :)

He says the gestures are noticeably quicker and smoother on the 2 (he has both).

If I had an iPad 2 I would certainly try it! Worst case you just restore it...

Yes it works on the iPad2... I have them unlocked on my iPad2 3G.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I activated the multitouch gestures when I got the iPad 2. The combination of the two is truly a win! Swiping between apps, lifting up the window to see the multitasking bar, and pinching to reach the home screen have all become second nature. I'd strongely recommend everyone try them to see for themselves how much more convenient they are compared to pressing the mechanical home button, particularly the double tap.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Just spent a few hours getting a useable OSX VM running on my dell. Xcode downloading now. Cant wait to try the "hidden" gestures on my iPad 2!!

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for this, I installed Xcode and now I have gestures which work great! However I'd now like to uninstall Xcode but don't know how, any help please? I don't want to accidently delete anything I shouldn't.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
After hours of staring at the screen I finally got my Snow Leopard virtual machine running on my Dell. Got the gestures running in 3 seconds. It was worth it.

Multitasking gestures + smart cover = immaculate home button when I sell this thing in 11 months :)

Good.Shepherd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
USA
1. Will running updates cause me to have to re start developer mode through x-code again?

2. I'm asking because I'd like to uninstall xcode now (lots of room taken up) and it sounds like I can do that and keep the gestures.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
1. Will running updates cause me to have to re start developer mode through x-code again?

2. I'm asking because I'd like to uninstall xcode now (lots of room taken up) and it sounds like I can do that and keep the gestures.

Yes, you have to rerun x-code when you update. Do you have a thumb drive or something you can save your x-code to?

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
Yes, you have to rerun x-code when you update. Do you have a thumb drive or something you can save your x-code to?

So when the next update comes out and I update my iPad, it will no longer be in use for developing? I was told in order to bring my iPad back to normal I would have to restore, and then update to the newest firmware.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So when the next update comes out and I update my iPad, it will no longer be in use for developing? I was told in order to bring my iPad back to normal I would have to restore, and then update to the newest firmware.

Well, I think you were told wrong. For one thing, when you restore, you are automatically updated to the latest firmware, so restore & update is a one-step process, not two steps. And in my experience, I updated an iPad from a beta version of 4.3 to the final release version, and found that I had to reactivate the multi-touch gestures.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
Well, I think you were told wrong. For one thing, when you restore, you are automatically updated to the latest firmware, so restore & update is a one-step process, not two steps. And in my experience, I updated an iPad from a beta version of 4.3 to the final release version, and found that I had to reactivate the multi-touch gestures.

Ok because. I am currently on the 4.3 dev version only for the multi touch gestures. I plan to update to the newest firmware when it's a big one. When I do I don't want my iPad to be a developer enabled iPad. I want it to be normal. So do I just go ahead and update to the newest firmware and it will be normal?Or will I have to restore to completely remove any signs of it being a developer iPad?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ok because. I am currently on the 4.3 dev version only for the multi touch gestures. I plan to update to the newest firmware when it's a big one. When I do I don't want my iPad to be a developer enabled iPad. I want it to be normal. So do I just go ahead and update to the newest firmware and it will be normal?Or will I have to restore to completely remove any signs of it being a developer iPad?

Er, I can't say, I never thought about it. I'm just not concerned about the difference between a developer iPad and a normal iPad, as far as I can tell, they both just work the same. If you feel really strongly about it, a restore always puts an iPad back to "factory default." I'm just not seeing any reason why you should bother.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
Er, I can't say, I never thought about it. I'm just not concerned about the difference between a developer iPad and a normal iPad, as far as I can tell, they both just work the same. If you feel really strongly about it, a restore always puts an iPad back to "factory default." I'm just not seeing any reason why you should bother.

Alright. Thanks for the help.

keigo

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
For those who dont want to use Xcode or pay it..

And you havd JB your iPad and download iFile..

you can enable the multi gestures through this step which work for me..

1. Using iFile
2. navigate to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/ and find com.apple.springboard.plist file
3. Use Property List Viewer and add SBUseSystemGestures with type "Boolean" once done you will find SBUseSystemGestures and set it to ON
4. navidate to /Applications/Preferences.app and find Settings.plist
5. Edit it by adding the below command:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>items</key>
<array>

//after the above u add this common in
<dict>
<key>cell</key>
<string>PSGroupCell</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>cell</key>
<key>footerCellClass</key>
<string>MultitaskingGestureExplanationView</string>
<key>id</key>
<string>Mutltitasking_Gesture_Group</string>
<key>requiredCapabilities</key>
<array>
<string>multitasking-gestures</string>
</array>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>cell</key>
<string>PSSwitchCell</string>
<key>default</key>
<true/>
<key>defaults</key>
<string>com.apple.springboard</string>
<key>id</key>
<string>Mutltitasking_Gesture_Switch</string>
<key>key</key>
<string>SBUseSystemGestures</string>
<key>label</key>
<string>Multitasking_Gestures</string>
<key>requiredCapabilities</key>
<array>
<string>multitasking-gestures</string>
</array>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>cell</key>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>action</key>
<string>confirmationSpecifierConfirmed:</string>

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
It makes me think that there are issues, otherwise in would have made this cut.

I can think of a couple of reasons:

1) Some developers have used four and five finger gestures in their apps....

2) This is me speculating now but I'm inclined to think this is an iOS 5 feature that Apple decided needed both real-world testing and a longer than usual developer notice period....

I have been using gestures for a few days now, on my iPad (version 1).

Am I the only person who finds them kind of glitchy or hitchy in a sort of not-typically-Apple kind of way?

I don't know anything about iOS, but I get the feeling there might be a little bit of overhead, more overhead than is appropriate for the original iPad with its 256 MB of memory.

Love the idea. Just not sure it's ready for prime time.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Am I the only person who finds them kind of glitchy or hitchy in a sort of not-typically-Apple kind of way?

I don't know anything about iOS, but I get the feeling there might be a little bit of overhead, more overhead than is appropriate for the original iPad with its 256 MB of memory.

No glitches here on iPad 1. Love the app switching and access to the multi-task bar. Do find four finger pinching to be a bit awkward, and as noted earlier, would like to see some better way of switching between apps, as it gets awkward going more than about 3 deep.

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010

Most of the time when I have problems with the gestures, it's because I do not properly have the 4-5 fingers on the screen. I am just not quite used to it, so sometimes my "pinch" does not register properly.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I'm so glad I activated these gestures on my original iPad. It seems to breath new life into my device which is nice since I didn't upgrade to iPad 2 as much as I wanted to. They work very smoothly.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I just found out about this, sorry if it's been answered.

I will buy it if I can use the Swipe Back/Forward feature in Safari.

Thanks.

You can't do this but I recommend downloading the iCab browser...it includes this functionality even if it can be slightly buggy sometimes. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.