Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterbaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2012
3rd Planet from the Sun
I remember when I bought my G5 which wasn't maxed out - cost me $4000.00 - put it on my credit card and in the years that followed before I completely paid it off - they revised the G5 - my tower died (I believe it was the power supply) - I bought a used G5 which outlasted the first one - then they changed the design to the trashcan and raised the price.

My lesson here: I will never buy a $4000.00 machine again which I never even upgraded - which I never fully utilized before it died and was replaced by newer technology. When the 2nd G5 died I looked at the Mini and the Firewire port made transitioning my music rig a no-brainer. I realized for my applications I simply need to buy a machine that currently does what I need with the "potential" to upgrade because technology is moving faster than my money can enable.

Prior to this I was of the mindset " buy the high end" trying to make the computer prevail through advances in technology but learned -

"High-end" devices fail just like "Low-end" devices - Apple architecture changes can be unpredictable - Chip development, supplier changes and planned obsolescence will ruin my strategy and drain my pocket.

I'm now motivated to accomplish my goals with the least expensive working solution rather than the most powerful solution.

fourthtunz said:
"how is it that they cannot make a $3500 mac mini that would make them a ton of money?"

Well, $3500 will be your bottom tier modular MacPro which doesn't speak well for the Mini and those folks who enjoy those economics.

... and again, Moores Law should also be evident in pricing even when you consider upfront R&D (relatively speaking) - I'll never rationalize $5000 for a computer !

Last edited:
Reactions: cfedu and Fishrrman

epca12

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
UK
I remember a rumour about a higher end Mac Mini so it could still be in the works maybe for an announcement alongside the new Pro?

Reactions: fourthtunz

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
MasterBaron: Based on your comment(s) in #9951; I gather that, when needed, your next computer will not be a New MAC due to the prohibitive cost of their newest machines ??

The newest basic IMacs, with decent 16GB Ram and SSD Storage, will set one back around two thousand($2,000) dollars which includes sales tax and AppleCare.

I have Basic Computer needs, however, I will not stray from Mac OS and the aforementioned Ram and Storage requirements are my absolute minimum(s) on my next new Mac purchase.

Last edited:

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
This is how I feel most days about the Mini
giphy.gif

Reactions: AleRod

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I'm now motivated to accomplish my goals with the least expensive working solution rather than the most powerful solution.

That's actually a very interesting consideration.

Time is money, though, so I suspect the sweet spot is somewhere in the middle. No sense in having work take longer to save cost on upgrades.

What I like about modular/upgrade-ability is you can pick and choose what you need, when you need it, and for the price you want to pay -- rather than having to get it all at once every time your needs change (which can be a big cost at once).

Reactions: Cape Dave

masterbaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2012
3rd Planet from the Sun
My requirements are certainly behind the technology curve at this point and from what I've seen of "bleeding-edge" technologies in the real world the benefits don't necessarily add up as in 4K, 5K program material or the reality of my viewing choices which entail never paying for content and sacrificing picture quality. It seems as technology moves forward my needs move at a slower pace - economics and flexibility carry more weight at this point.

When its time to upgrade If I'm forced to consolidate from 3 Mini's because of cost - I will undoubtedly hold on to the ecosystem and return to a single primary machine with the Mini's attempting to take up the rear.

Last edited:

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
My requirements are certainly behind the technology curve at this point and from what I've seen of "bleeding-edge" technologies in the real world the benefits don't necessarily add up as in 4K, 5K program material or the reality of my viewing choices which entail never paying for content and sacrificing picture quality. It seems as technology moves forward my needs move at a slower pace - economics and flexibility carry more weight at this point.

When its time to upgrade If I'm forced to consolidate from 3 Mini's because of cost - I will undoubtedly hold on to the ecosystem and return to a single primary machine with the Mini's attempting to take up the rear.

In my opinion, 4k and 5k resolutions (or "retina displays" in Apple world) are one of the most significant advances in computer tech in the last 20 years. Maybe SSD would be a close 2nd. Everything else has been incremental improvement.

The difference between retina and 1080p is night and day. And it affects literally every single thing you do on a computer, from word processing to web surfing to content consumption. Put a retina macbook pro from 2017 up against the 2012 non-retina version and it's like a bad joke. The difference in screen quality is staggering.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
In my opinion, 4k and 5k resolutions (or "retina displays" in Apple world) are one of the most significant advances in computer tech in the last 20 years. Maybe SSD would be a close 2nd. Everything else has been incremental improvement.

The difference between retina and 1080p is night and day. And it affects literally every single thing you do on a computer, from word processing to web surfing to content consumption. Put a retina macbook pro from 2017 up against the 2012 non-retina version and it's like a bad joke. The difference in screen quality is staggering.

If only apple would give us a matte option.
No amount of pixels makes me want to stare myself or my surroundings. Pixels also need quality, not just quantity.

Reactions: Yvan256 and AleRod

epca12

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
UK
If only apple would give us a matte option.
No amount of pixels makes me want to stare myself or my surroundings. Pixels also need quality, not just quantity.
Have you tried out any matte screen covers for the iMacs? I've heard they can help to a certain degree

masterbaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2012
3rd Planet from the Sun

Indeed with the right program material there's a world of difference not to forget HDR which I find more impressive actually but alas I did say "the reality of my viewing choices which entail never paying for content and sacrificing picture quality" - Though this is something I can fix - I certainly want a headless machine.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast

We think alike. Which means that you are a genius. I would add USB to to round out the biggest top 3 changes. Also, I would put SSD as first, but retina a very very close second :)

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
We think alike. Which means that you are a genius. I would add USB to to round out the biggest top 3 changes. Also, I would put SSD as first, but retina a very very close second :)
SOOOOOO close

SSD>>>>>UNIVERSAL Serial Bus>Improved Displays

Too bad Apple wants to put the Anchor of HDD around our necks, along with destroying a great backwards compatible interface with USB-A.

Good job on the Displays though, Apple.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Micky Do - your cue was his use of the word "enthusiast" to clearly set you apart from "what" - a circular conversation from which you will not resolve. Your Tick - his Tock.
Thank you for the semantics lesson.

Throughout three and a half years and approaching 10,000 posts, circular conversations have been a regular feature of this thread, which will almost certainly continue without resolve as long as new Mac Minis keep coming, as they almost certainly will at infrequent intervals for the time being.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I have not gone retina yet because I will also have to upgrade the GPU to run it, which means upgrading the whole computer because Mini, and my bank balance doesn't cover a retina screen and a computer.

Also, I also don't have a fast connection, about 4.5MB/s, so 720 res video is my reliable streaming limit.

So I am holding out as long as possible.

My 4 year old 2560 x 1440 27" Dell is still looking good, especially from across the other side of the room. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Have you tried out any matte screen covers for the iMacs? I've heard they can help to a certain degree
There is a technical problem with these coatings: they are too far away from actual screen to be high quality.
The idealogical problem is, that apple has forgot about option key, when they both don't offer matte as an option for their screens and they make headless mac so bad choise, that they can very soon say "that hardly no-one was buying them anymore". Like they did with xServe and xRaid. I guess apple was a last brand back then to offer pata based storage for pro use.

Reactions: epca12

Sorrel

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
UK
New mac mini anyone?
Yeah, I'd like one.

Been really close to getting an iMac instead, but the truth is I'd much rather have a new Mini. Previously I had an iMac (one from 2007), but once it got a bit older it was quite annoying - whereas my maxed out 2012 Mini is still going strong and still my main computer. But it's five years old now and I'm happy to get a new one

I'm giving it to mid October to see if anything happens.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I broke down and bought a used 2014 3GHz w/16G last month to get me through. I don't need quad core for home theater use. A 2.6GHz would have worked with 8G but I got a good deal.

Reactions: DesertSurfer

MacGuffin

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2006
I'll take a new Mini this fall or it's NUC hackintosh for me. Hop to it, Apple.

21st century capabilities would be nice, too. But if Cupertino insists on using weak underpowered tech, then shrink the damn form factor.

There's no reason a really mini hybrid Mini/Apple TV couldn't be as small as an iPhone.

Reactions: Haswell

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I broke down and bought a used 2014 3GHz w/16G last month to get me through. I don't need quad core for home theater use. A 2.6GHz would have worked with 8G but I got a good deal.

The thing about home theater use is that you'll benefit from having the latest chips that deal with modern codecs.

Reactions: Crosscreek

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
Wow. 3 days without a reply in this thread. And we are so close to 10,000. I wish someone at Apple would see this and realize that there is a demand for a computer with no integrated display! Sigh...

Reactions: AppleComputer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.