Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I ordered one of these from Colasac.

black-ipad-sleeve-side-800.jpg

black-ipad-sleeve-corner-800.jpg

Eye Doc

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
I love my colcasac!! Still using the one I got for the iPad 1.

Planning on getting Smart Cover and keeping the colcasac with new iPad.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Hah. Just posted about this case. It looks awesome. The reviews on youtube (for the iPad 2 version) are really good. Biggest thing is that they show that the magnets are strong enough to remain shut even after you flip it upside down and shake it. I think I'm gonna buy one of these but I contacted the company to get some more info on em. At the very least, this is now at the top of my list.

FYI, here is a response I got about the compatibility of this case with the new iPad:

"Hi,
Thank you for showing interest in buying one of our cases. Yes the iPad 3 or "The new iPad" is slightly thicker it is only 0.6mm thicker then the iPad 2. We have not checked the case on the iPad 3 sense[sic] it will only come out on March 16th, BUT we have checked it on the iPad 2 with putting a cardboard (about 1mm thickness) on the back of the ipad 2 and the case still fit perfectly. So, that is why we assume it will fit perfectly "The new iPad". Also about the camera whole[sic], the camera is the same as on the iphone 4S and the size did not change, just the lenses they used.
If by any chance this case will not fit properly we always accept returns.
Thank you!
INVELLOP"

I'm thinking about ordering the gray one.

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I love my colcasac!! Still using the one I got for the iPad 1.

Planning on getting Smart Cover and keeping the colcasac with new iPad.

Good to hear! I ended up going with neoprene instead of a Colasac when I was shopping for a case for my Macbook Air, but if I like this on my iPad I will get the one for Air too.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
FYI, here is a response I got about the compatibility of this case with the new iPad:

"Hi,
Thank you for showing interest in buying one of our cases. Yes the iPad 3 or "The new iPad" is slightly thicker it is only 0.6mm thicker then the iPad 2. We have not checked the case on the iPad 3 sense[sic] it will only come out on March 16th, BUT we have checked it on the iPad 2 with putting a cardboard (about 1mm thickness) on the back of the ipad 2 and the case still fit perfectly. So, that is why we assume it will fit perfectly "The new iPad". Also about the camera whole[sic], the camera is the same as on the iphone 4S and the size did not change, just the lenses they used.
If by any chance this case will not fit properly we always accept returns.
Thank you!
INVELLOP"

I'm thinking about ordering the gray one.

I got the same response. Only problem I have with this is he jacked up the price $10 for the case and he's not 100% certain it actually works with the iPad 3. Seems like everyone on here bought the case for 14.99 but he jacked it up with the new announcement....so for that I'm thinking of waiting. Still my fallback option but I'd at least like to see some reviews on the Macally case line. Those cases look awesome but waiting on some reviews or more pics to see how they hold up.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
The Targus Slim Case seems to be the closest thing to the best case of all time--the original apple iPad case.

Any other suggestions for an original iPad case clone?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
posted on other thread too..for new ipad 1st timers:

I (and several others here), have been thru all the ipad and iphone launches...I have learned the hard way TO WAIT A FEW MONTHS until they have their 1st gen products out there. Do a search here and you will find all sorts of fit and finish problems by virtually mfr, as every mfr rushes their product to market to capture the huge Tsunami of ipad buyers that have to have something right now to protect their new pad. Whatever you get right now is going to market with no real world longevity testing - except you.

So what to do? I'm gonna use my old smartcover, get a skin of some sort - like icarbons, iskin, Zagg (Yecch) and wait a bit...after they realize the the tab breaks off (like ZUM) or the fit is bad and correct it, I'll be in for a folio type case from somebody.

der-kaiser

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Brisbane
posted on other thread too..for new ipad 1st timers:

I (and several others here), have been thru all the ipad and iphone launches...I have learned the hard way TO WAIT A FEW MONTHS until they have their 1st gen products out there. Do a search here and you will find all sorts of fit and finish problems by virtually mfr, as every mfr rushes their product to market to capture the huge Tsunami of ipad buyers that have to have something right now to protect their new pad. Whatever you get right now is going to market with no real world longevity testing - except you.

So what to do? I'm gonna use my old smartcover, get a skin of some sort - like icarbons, iskin, Zagg (Yecch) and wait a bit...after they realize the the tab breaks off (like ZUM) or the fit is bad and correct it, I'll be in for a folio type case from somebody.

All true but isn't the dimension of the new iPad almost identical to the old one? From what I've seen, a lot of the case makers will not be designing new cases from the ground up. Most will be based upon the iPad 2 cases. As long as past reviews have been good I think it'll be fairly safe.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
All true but isn't the dimension of the new iPad almost identical to the old one? From what I've seen, a lot of the case makers will not be designing new cases from the ground up. Most will be based upon the iPad 2 cases. As long as past reviews have been good I think it'll be fairly safe.

you may be totally safe ....but it is something to think about...as it has been seen before....particularity in iphone cases...

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I have a Bookbook red case arriving from Amazon on Tuesday. Twelve South assures me it will fit my new iPad, arriving on Friday. My stars are aligned.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I have a Bookbook red case arriving from Amazon on Tuesday. Twelve South assures me it will fit my new iPad, arriving on Friday. My stars are aligned.

things like the bookbook require no real fit so it'll be fine - I own two bookbooks...great products...

der-kaiser

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Brisbane

The BookBook certainly looks the best out of the four cases I'm considering. Would have been a real winner if it had the smart cover feature and the top isn't secured by elastic. The elastic part is a real bummer for me.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
I just bought a new black leather Smart Cover to go with an incipio Feather case. My blue polyurethane SmartCover hasn't worn that the well, so I'm throwing it in with my recently-sold iPad2 as a bonus.

I also have an iCarbons skin on the back of the 2, but I've decided I rather have something I can remove easily.

der-kaiser

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Brisbane
exactly why I don't own a BB for ipad - looks very amateurish - they did the macair book nice though....got them...

Yeah was hoping for a revision by Twelve South with the launch of the new iPad but no luck there. Can't believe they'll be keeping it untouched for 3 years.

St8kout

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
ZooGue was on the right track with the completely adjustable viewing angle positions along with the elastic strap for hanging it on a car's headrest. BUT, what in the world possessed them to NOT have any kind of corner protection. That is exactly where your ipad will take damage from almost any kind of fall. It's almost impossible to drop any square object without a corner being the first point of impact. You would have to take great pains to make it land perfectly flat on one side.

Such a simple thing yet so vital. We buy these cases to help protect our beloved gadgets. Let's face it, accidents happen in the real world no matter how careful we are. Just one brief slip and, "Oh C**p!"

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
The BookBook certainly looks the best out of the four cases I'm considering. Would have been a real winner if it had the smart cover feature and the top isn't secured by elastic. The elastic part is a real bummer for me.

Every case of this type has its drawbacks. The Bookbook case looks fantastic. The lack of the smart cover function doesn't bother me - it's not a hardship to push the home button or the sleep button. And, equally important, it will fit the new iPad right now, not at some future date when it can be redesigned to fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.