Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
Mac Pro Order

I just ordered the following:

Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
One 18x SuperDrive
6GB (6x1GB)
640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n
Apple 23" LED Display

I had the Quad 2.66 single ordered for one night and I couldn't sleep knowing I didn't spend an extra $600 and get the dual. I figure when it comes time to sell I will get most of that back. I just sold my Octo 2.8 Dual for more than I paid for it.

Well....I wasted about 12HRS debating on which model to get. Now I better get to work and make some money.

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Well....I wasted about 12HRS debating on which model to get. Now I better get to work and make some money.

Haha I've wasted at least that trying to decide what to get.
Will most likely order this next week

ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
Two 18x SuperDrive
6GB (6x1GB)
1tb 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

Heres to hoping its as fast as the old 3.2ghz

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
I'm not the only one....

Thanks for the reply! I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one. I was being modest on stating 12HRS. HAHA. Were you considering a single quad as well? I'm still not sure I made the right decision. I know I don't need the power of dual quad now...but I just have a hard time spending that much on a single.

Good luck with your order next week....good news...they are now shipping in 2-4 business days with the ATI card add-on. If you order today with next day delivery which I did...you will have on or before next Thursday.

Haha I've wasted at least that trying to decide
what to get.
Will most likely order this next week

ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
Two 18x SuperDrive
6GB (6x1GB)
1tb 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

Heres to hoping its as fast as the old 3.2ghz

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Good luck with your order next week....good news...they are now shipping in 2-4 business days with the ATI card add-on. If you order today with next day delivery which I did...you will have on or before next Thursday.

I really don't understand the estimated ship dates. How come I ordered first thing Tuesday and have an estimated arrival date of the 13th -17th March, and if I order the EXACT same config today, it would arrive 10th -12th March!

Bizarre

gzfelix

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I really don't understand the estimated ship dates. How come I ordered first thing Tuesday and have an estimated arrival date of the 13th -17th March, and if I order the EXACT same config today, it would arrive 10th -12th March!

Bizarre

So it is called estimated date.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Should be here 17th of March-ish.

One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xe
3GB (3x1GB)
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb
One 18x SuperDrive
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card-INT
Apple Mighty Mouse
APPLE KEYBD/USERS GUIDE-GBR.
Country Kit Mac Pro-B

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Has anyone that ordered extra ram had a update of the lead time lately?

MadisonTate

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Don't forget about SMT (Jackson Technology)

It seems everyone's comparing the new Nehalem Mac Pro's directly against the older machines. Yes, it's still 4 or 8 cores, but these cores can handle 2 threads simultaneously. You WILL NOT see what the processors can really do until the OS is able to handle SMT. It's a bit different from having 16 cores, but can be awful close in practice. I don't believe there are older Mac's with Hyper-Threading.

Wait until Snow Leopard is released for a big kick up in performance, followed by some tweaks until the virtual cores provide around 40-50% of a full core.

Compare the new octo-core at 1.4x to a non-HT octo-core.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
so, I don't absolutely "need" a new Mac Pro, but for research purposes (yeah, that's it :) ), here's what I've ordered.

2.66GHz 8-Core (two Quad-Core)
ATI Radeon HD 4870
6GB RAM
1TB Hard Drive

arn

ben1969

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Base 8-core plus Airport

I ordered a base 2.26 8-core with Airport on the 3rd -- anybody see his/her order shipping?

Morriss

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
I noticed a lot of you are going for the 6GB ram option. If you're buying ram from a 3rd party source, maybe you could add that to your list as well. Also, are you installing ram in addition to the 6GB, or are you replacing the entire 6GB and selling it off.

Boneoh

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
So. Cal.
I noticed a lot of you are going for the 6GB ram option. If you're buying ram from a 3rd party source, maybe you could add that to your list as well. Also, are you installing ram in addition to the 6GB, or are you replacing the entire 6GB and selling it off.

The 2GB option puts the delivery ETA out a couple of weeks, and also is more expensive than 3rd party.

I've ordered 16GB from macsales.com, saved $100 over Apple's price. Their website says they will buy back your old memory. Let's see how much they give me for it. I guess any $ I get for the old ram goes to offset the $$$ spent.

ETA for my system and all of the 3rd party stuff is 3/12.

Morriss

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
I've ordered 16GB from macsales.com, saved $100 over Apple's price. Their website says they will buy back your old memory. Let's see how much they give me for it. I guess any $ I get for the old ram goes to offset the $$$ spent.

Aaah, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for letting me know. I was all set to go for the 8GB option.

Now, will there be a problem if you need to send the MP back to Apple for repairs and they see 3rd party ram in there? I had heard there was a question regarding such an issue awhile ago.

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the reply! I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one. I was being modest on stating 12HRS. HAHA. Were you considering a single quad as well? I'm still not sure I made the right decision. I know I don't need the power of dual quad now...but I just have a hard time spending that much on a single.

I was considering the 2.8 previous model but finally decided on the new one, that's great about the shipping dates I'll be ordering on Monday.

thechef

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Mine has shipped! :D

I've got the base quad core with 4870 + airport.

Delivery estimate 12th March (Thursday).

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
so, I don't absolutely "need" a new Mac Pro, but for research purposes (yeah, that's it :) ), here's what I've ordered.

Maybe you could post unboxing photos and first impressions? There doesn't seem to be any on the web yet.

People are complaining a lot about the value for money, but my experience upgrading a Windows box from high clock Core 2 to lower clock i7 was that it was in fact an improvement, so am eager for some first hand reports.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Most users seem to be going with the ATI Radeon and its making me wonder if thats something I should go with too.

Are you planning on using your machine with graphic intensive apps? If not, whats the rationale behind going with it?

You are spending a lot on the computer so you might as well spend a little more to upgrade the graphics. Most people plan on keeping their Macs for awhile and have no idea of the future graphics needs.

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
I took 24 hrs to decide,,:confused: went for
2X 2,93
16 ram
2X 1tb drives
Wireless mouse
Wireless keyboard (wife wants to surf from bed with big screen TV)
Wired keyboard with numeric keypad
24 led monitor
Bretford monitor hinge VESA thingie
(might return and get costco articulating arm, not sure yet,,

Ship date march 25th, expected arrival date 31
Every thj g else but computer shipped ok the 5th, should be arriving today,,

Now all I gots to do is wait...:rolleyes:

KelchM

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Just ordered mine today...

One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xe
3GB (3x1GB)
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb
One 18x SuperDrive
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card
Apple Display DVI Adapter
Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
APPLE KB (NUM)& USER GD
Country Kit Mac Pro

Oh, and my total came to $2,238.00 before tax. Hooray Student ADC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.