Thinking of ditching EVO 4G for iPhone4 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Hello, this is my first post here. Would like honest opinions on this question. I am no fanboy by any means. I am sort of a phone whore. The last 3 years have owned couple Blackberries...iPhone3G...Nexus-One...and now EVO 4G...

I do like my EVO 4G a lot. Just the battery life sucks balls no matter what rooting and setcpu offered me on this. I use my phone, god forbid as an actual phone, too. I email clients few dozen times a day. And Google maps everyday for directions to new jobs. And the EVO dies in half a day of heavy use. Even the car charger can't keep it up, still goes down faster than it will charge. I just think this EVO is a power hungry device, that can't handle all workday use.

How people can have a phone and not use it most of the day, I don't understand ? I run my own business which is heavily sales involved so being connected all day is a must.

I will see what the Nexus-S reviews like for battery life, the Galaxy-S screens are amazing. Might go that route and T-Mobile has great monthly packages. Or go the iPhone 4 route, hearing it is one of the best batteries for a smart phone. Maybe go on ATT with it, or unlock it and run it on T-Mobile.

2. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I just ditched my Evo for the i4. My battery life was non-existent. The apps for the most part suck and so do the games. I know android is new and all and growing quickly, but for now iOS takes the cake. I haven't looked back. If you jailbreak the phone you have all of the features of the EVO, including hotspot and the more reliable facetime. That Qik crap on android was garbage.

I can stream netflix for hours, surf the web on 3G and text all day and still have 20% battery life left at 9pm and I was off the charger at 5am. I'm a heavy user. If I milk it I can go three days if all I did was phone and text.

3. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

4. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the fast reply :) How do you find ATT vs Sprint ? Or did you Unlock it to work on a non ATT carrier ?

My main beef with the EVO, was an insanely very bad battery. I read the Android forums on how I am supposed to turn this and that off, tweak this, down clock cpu, etc...and then it will maybe, possibly last a whole day, but then you have a phone with all it's best features turned off, whats the point then ?

I am open to the idea of buying the iPhone 4 16gb outright at the store, to not have to pay the subsidized pricing, as well as possibly not being locked into a contract if that's possible ?

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

If you like Android, the Nexus S got a 8/10 on Engadget. Not too shabby. Looks great and is fairly smooth. I recommend the iPhone 4, of course. ;)

*PS - posters, we don't need anymore Android vs. iOS threads. We don't need to start another world war. Thank you.*

6. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not going to start a flame war here, just trying to get some good opinions.

I like both iOS and Android OS. I just think that Android seems unfinished in a way still, needs a another good OS update or two, then should be really be awesome. Everyone I know with a new Android all say the battery life is extremely bad, my EVO is known to be the worst, and the Droid-Incredible is bad, the Samsung Galaxy-S are not too good either for battery.

So everyone here with an iPhone 4, that actually use it during the workday, to make calls, e-mails, texts, etc... does it truly last a good portion of the day before dying out ? Even with Navigation too ?

Thanks

7. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Sorry. I didn't mean to point you out specifically. There are posters here (as well as trolls) that really like to add fuel to the fire. And to answer your question - yes.

8. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I'll be honest. I loved Sprint, although in my area my 3G was a bit slow. AT&T has been fine though and I can stream Netflix without a hitch with good quality. Their "faster network" claims appear to be true so no complaints from me. I like the fact that Google is giving Apple some competition and I think in the long run they'll be even more of a threat, but I think the responsiveness and and long battery life of the i4 is amazing and its just as feature rich as the EVO, actually more. The free "find my iphone" is cool too. I left my phone at work one time and i swore I had it in my house, but this app proved me wrong. :apple:;)

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Well ill say this. When i had my iPhone, i loved it. Now i have my Vibrant and imo it is far better but thats all a to each their own thing. I went to Best Buy today for the first time in a while and the store was totally re-arranaged and had a setup where they had Samsung Tablets and iP4's on 1 table.

I have to say, the iPhone was nice but man, it sure looked really small since ive had my Vibrant for 5 months now. The screen on the iP4 was just real small and it looked good but i didnt see the big deal some are making it out to be. Isnt any better than my screen.

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

we try to be constructive and then crap like this always starts
    your screen is 480 x 800 on a 4 inch screen, the iphone has a much higher dpi screen, that's why it can claim to be the highest density LCD in a phone.

Anyways the OP is looking for advice from people who have had an iphone 4 vs a newer android device

11. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

It isnt crap. It is my opinon. I dont care if YOU dont like it. It wasnt any better than my Vibrant and it has the same screen as the Nexus S....which he said was one of his options. I was comparing screens that I CAN give a first hand opinion of.

12. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will admit the Galaxy-S phones, have an awesome screen. That super AMOLED is amazing. A few of my clients have them, one has a Vibrant, and another the Fascinate, and I can see them walking around 5 or 10 feet away, and I am drooling looking at their phone from that far, it just pops from across the room, very rich and beautiful colors. My Brother has the iPhone 4, and not to be rude, the screen just never caught my eye like the S-AMOLED did. I know the high res on the i4 is impressive, but to my eyes the nice colors on the Galaxy-S seemed like a cooler option, over the "Retina" display. I think the iPhone 5 would be kick ass, if they make it a 4" screen, 3.5" is too small in my opinion.

Actually was at BestBuy tonight, and glanced over the Verizon Samsung-Fascinate, the white model, and it had some awesome live wallpaper going on called "Flow", it was quite impressive I will say. And was crazy fast.

So I am really torn over, going iPhone 4 route or Nexus-S ? But I hear these Galaxy-S phones have bad battery too, maybe not as bad as my EVO, but not as good as the i4 ?

13. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I dont know if your into tweaking your phone but rooting these phones is a snap now. And the Nexus S comes with Gingerbread 2.3 which is going to be a much improved OS for Android. Plus the Market is going to get a complete overhaul as well.
    Wont be any bloatware on the Nexus S either but the downside imo is no slot for an Micro SD card. Thats a biggy or me but you wont get one on the iphone either.

14. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

My phone purchase really comes down to this.

Jailbreaked iPhone 4 or Nexus-S ?

#1 for me is battery life, my EVO dies on my several times a week, even the car charger can't keep up, so buying a new phone next week. Supposedly the 2.3 Gingerbread in the Nexus-S has improved battery life, but enough to compete with the iPhone 4 ?

15. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I am 100% in your same position. The battery life is terrible on EVO. Seems to an Android thing not a particular phone thing. However there are other things I miss about iPhone. Keyboard is far superior, everything is more smooth and polished such as scrolling, flicking and pinch to zoom. Apps are noticeably better on iPhone and third party accessories are better. Another HUGE thing for me is the form factor of iPhone. Yes the screen is undersized for the industry now but it feels great in the hand and is easy to use with one hand when necessary. I can't wait to go back and almost did but then I rememberedhow I couldn't make phone calls on AT&T. So I am desperately waiting for iPhone on Verizon announcement on January 6 at CES. HOPEFULLY.....oh and as a side note flash on mobile is terrible. One thing Steve is actually right about. Sorry for the long post people.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The thing is, I'm not really sure how intensively you use your phone. I'm not sure if battery life on the Evo simply sucks, or you use your phone a lot. The iPhone 4 may very well drain before the end of the day for you, and so might the Nexus S or any other phone. If your main reason for getting a new phone is for battery life, I would be careful on that one, because you might not find something better.

Have you considered a spare battery to pop in your phone whenever the other battery dies out?

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Standard-...VERC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292133917&sr=8-2

17. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

One of my biggest beefs with getting an iPhone is not Apple at all, it is ATT. They are sort of a rip off for their service, and you don't get the best for how high you pay.

I need unlimited minutes = $69...Have to get a data package, I think the middle one with 2gb is the best and is $25...then 1500 texts is $15...grand total w/tax would be approx $120 per month.

On T-Mobile, their best unlimited everything package, with buying the phone outright is $88 + tax = $96.

I think the U.S. pays way too much for cell phone service, and I just feel good not going over $99 on principle. I can easily afford the $20-$25, if this was Verizon and on a 4G LTE network, I would have zero issue paying $130+, but it is slow ATT 3G.

18. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

^ amen to that XD I kept T-Mobile because when I was considering jumping to Sprint they offered me a better deal (and free G2s) >>

It sucks when I run into EDGE networks, but I can live with it. I've noticed that Sense *can* eat battery life like a mofo, so you might have better luck with a nexus S or samsung or something. >> :)

19. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

How does the iPhone 4 work on T-Mobile ? I heard someone say the Edge network is so fast on T-Mo now, it is almost same speed as ATT's 3G ?

20. phearx macrumors regular

I'm a phone junkie myself and can completely see where you're coming from. I've had numerous phones over the past 2 years (around 7 or 8) and have enjoyed them all during the time I've had them. I must say when I had my Evo, while it was a great phone and the best android phone I've owned, it is no where near as polished or up to the level of my iphone 4. I love Apple products, but am by no means an Apple fanboy. I find myself trying new things so that I can experience them, and draw a conclusion from the product after I've owned it for a while. While I love my iphone 4 ios may not suit you. To each their own and I hope you find the phone and OS you will enjoy.

21. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the kind post, seems we have the same tastes an hobby :)

I guess there are two things holding me back from buying the iPhone 4 tomorrow. First, I would like to see the Nexus-S in my hands and play with it for a few minutes, and see if I like it. Second, are these rumors of Verizon getting a iPhone 4.5 next month. Would hate to sign up with ATT, and not even a month later a slightly better iPhone is released on the best network.

How strong are these Verizon rumors, of it being announced at the big trade show in January, and on sale end of Jan ? 99% ? 50% ? Or no way right now ?

22. Vegastouch, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

LOL, looks like you will be waiting. I wouldnt buy any iPhone to Verizon rumors and their 4G LTE isnt that fast. Not as fast as T-Mobiles HSPA+...however, the Nexus S isnt supported with HSPA+ but it will have HSPA type: HSDPA (7.2Mbps) HSUPA (5.76Mbps)
    Nexus S comes out the 16th and you can play with it on trial for at least a couple weeks depending on where you live and then...IF the Verizon rumors are true, ...which i doubt, you can take it back and try a iP4.

Again, if you like to tweak your phone, there are other ROMs out there that are giving better battery life to the Galaxy S phones. Notably the Vibrant which has many custom 2.2 Froyo ROMs to try and ill assume the Devs will have custom Gingerbread ROMs in the works as well. There arent nearly as many ROMs for the Fasinate (if any, not sure, dont have verizon so dont keep track)as there are for Vibrant for some reason.

I have no idea how good the battery is on iP4 but hear it is pretty good and better than my old iPhone was.

23. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

All I can say is that my jailbroken ip4 battery life is awesome. Way better than my 3GS battery life. A jailbreak app called auto 3G helps with this aswell. I'm a heavy user, lots of 3G web surfing, texting, listening to music, and I will still usually have between 30-40 percent by the time it gets to the charger at night. I have blu tooth off, 3G and wifi on (3G controlled by auto 3G) location services on all the time, and these are my stats for tonight.

[​IMG]

Probably about 30 texts today, a couple of short 2 min calls, about 15 minutes of music, and the rest is all 3G web surfing, with 3 ten minute videos on YouTube (that were in high res thanks to "my 3G") I think I could get another 2 hours of web surfing with the amount of battery I have left aswell. Not to shabby at all if you ask me.

24. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Couple of things to keep in mind (somebody correct me if I'm out of date):

If you go to buy a new iP4 today, most likely, it will be loaded with iOS4.2.1:

1. iP4 is not able to unlock for other carriers.
    2. Although others are coming, the current jailbreak for iOS4.2.1 is tethered, meaning you lose the jailbreak anytime you shut off the phone (full shut off, not standby); which could present problems for your specific case.

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

My advice - buy the Nexus S on the 16th for T-Mobile, tell us what you think of it and keep it until a Verizon iPhone appears (say January, as predicted, or WWDC 11'). There's always the Droid X on VZ as well - it has decent battery life. Cheers! ;)