Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

nizmoz said:
Apollo 13 said:
IPhone wasn't the first touch screen either.

It was the first multi-touch screen, but not the first. Also the first to accept finger touches without a stylus.

It's the first to use multi-touch to full potential (which Android shamelessly copied). Don't argue with the hater though. "iOS is buggy 'cause of dropped calls & crappy notification" WTF is that?
This kind of thread went south rapidly because of juvenile post like this.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's the first to use multi-touch to full potential (which Android shamelessly copied). Don't argue with the hater though. "iOS is buggy 'cause of dropped calls & crappy notification" WTF is that?

Typical fanboy response. Cant acknowledge truth or recognize another company doing well and accuses of them of copying. Im far from a hater but I do embrace compition and except something that could be better.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Typical fanboy response. Cant acknowledge truth or recognize another company doing well and accuses of them of copying. Im far from a hater but I do embrace compition and except something that could be better.

Accuses? They did copy the technology. Reason why Apple is going after a few for that technology.

I would gladly say they are doing well and they are, but they did copy another product. Just like how Hyundai likes to copy a lot of other brand cars in designs.

And it's competition......

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Accuses? They did copy the technology. Reason why Apple is going after a few for that technology.

I would gladly say they are doing well and they are, but they did copy another product. Just like how Hyundai likes to copy a lot of other brand cars in designs.

Right and some of you act like this is something new. Everybody copies everybody. Happens in everything from cars to sports. But asside from the touchscreen, which is very good btw...at least on the Galaxy S phones, they arent similar.
The guy I responded to said"shamelessly Copied". I guess he dont like compitition and only wants Apple To thrive so he can continue to buy new iPhones every year with minimul improvement.

Thats a fanboy for ya.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6

Exactly what new tech do you think they copied?

It was the first multi-touch screen, but not the first (? touch screen ?).

The first multi-touch screen in an announced smartphone was the OpenMoko Neo1973 smartphone. It even supported pinch-to-zoom motions on maps and webpages, which wowed tech reporters. It had app icons, dock, you name it.

Of course, since it wasn't loudly announced by a big company like Apple, few paid any attention to it until months later when the iPhone was demoed, and then suddenly some reporters wondered if Apple had copied it. See the comparison pic below.

Also the first to accept finger touches without a stylus.

Incorrect. You could certainly use fingers on resistive screens.

Also, there was a smartphone in 2002 that used IR finger detection which did not require a stylus.

And the first smartphone to use a capacitive screen was the LG Prada.

Attachments

• openmoko_vs_iphong.jpg
    openmoko_vs_iphong.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 273

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Am I the only EVO 4G user who doesn't have poor battery life?

I can easily make it through a full day of heavy use without killing my battery. With light use I can usually make it two days between charges. I did disable automatic screen dimming feature and normally keep it at about 25%, which is bright enough for anywhere but direct sunlight outdoors.

I've found that there are only two things that really kill the battery: Navigation and 4G. I don't use those things unless I am plugged in, and then it's not a problem.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I can easily make it through a full day of heavy use without killing my battery. With light use I can usually make it two days between charges. I did disable automatic screen dimming feature and normally keep it at about 25%, which is bright enough for anywhere but direct sunlight outdoors.

I've found that there are only two things that really kill the battery: Navigation and 4G. I don't use those things unless I am plugged in, and then it's not a problem.

You think iPhone users would be happy if they had to disable 3G while on battery? There would be an uproar. You shouldn't have to disable 4G on the Evo to have good bat life, especially when they advertise 4G with the Evo heavily. Other Android 4G phones bat life is far better than the Evo.

Also I get great bat life on the IP4 with full brightness. Navigation I can understand, that drains bat life on all devices.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010

I just bought my mom an evo for Christmas and I've been playing with it trying to learn it so I can show her how to use it, and I switched off 4g and wifi, and battery life doesn't seem all that bad. I'd guestimate it to be about on par more or less with a 3GS. I have to say though, I think I really like android. I'm pretty sure that my next phone will be one. This one is on froyo and it seems very smooth to me. My step dads is on 2.1 and you can deffinatlly tell the differance. Honeycomb will be sweet. The only things so far on the evo that don't impress me is the camera. Doesn't take near the quality pics of iPhone. The screen is very nice color wise, but can deffinatly see the lower resolution. I think (hope) next years androids pack better quality cameras and a higher res screen, because those coupled with a 4 inch screen and dual core with honey comb will be win!!

Dbrown

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2010

"full potential?" what exactly is that supposed to mean? Also android didnt copy multitouch because you cant copy something that's an obvious concept to begin with.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

Vegastouch said:
nizmoz said:

Right and some of you act like this is something new. Everybody copies everybody. Happens in everything from cars to sports. But asside from the touchscreen, which is very good btw...at least on the Galaxy S phones, they arent similar.
The guy I responded to said"shamelessly Copied". I guess he dont like compitition and only wants Apple To thrive so he can continue to buy new iPhones every year with minimul improvement.

Thats a fanboy for ya.

You just assumed too much and couldn't quite be able to accept the truth. What is not shameless about u-turning from copying Blackberry to copying iPhone while their CEO was on Apple board.
Of courdse everyone who's not wordhipping Android is a Apple fanboy. Talking about pot, kettle...
How about coming back to discussion when you open your mind and accept that i can speak the truth about Android and loving competition at the same time?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

Btw, i guess i'm too much of a fanboy having zero Mac in my life. LOL.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Im far from a hater but I do embrace compition and except something that could be better.

Please read that aloud, and see if you find your mistake :)

If not, here is some aid :

Except - not to be confused with Accept

Or more importantly, not confused with :

Expect

Spelling is great; the right word is better - unfortunately you where using one of those words that when mispelled, can be come a different word with a completely different meaning.

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Darthdingo said:
Hello, this is my first post here. Would like honest opinions on this question. I am no fanboy by any means. I am sort of a phone whore. The last 3 years have owned couple Blackberries...iPhone3G...Nexus-One...and now EVO 4G...

I do like my EVO 4G a lot. Just the battery life sucks balls no matter what rooting and setcpu offered me on this. I use my phone, god forbid as an actual phone, too. I email clients few dozen times a day. And Google maps everyday for directions to new jobs. And the EVO dies in half a day of heavy use. Even the car charger can't keep it up, still goes down faster than it will charge. I just think this EVO is a power hungry device, that can't handle all workday use.

How people can have a phone and not use it most of the day, I don't understand ? I run my own business which is heavily sales involved so being connected all day is a must.

I will see what the Nexus-S reviews like for battery life, the Galaxy-S screens are amazing. Might go that route and T-Mobile has great monthly packages. Or go the iPhone 4 route, hearing it is one of the best batteries for a smart phone. Maybe go on ATT with it, or unlock it and run it on T-Mobile.

Sorry I haven't taken the time to read through to see if you made up your mind yet. But if it's any help two days ago I switched from my EVO back to iPhone 4 after months of debate. I couldn't be any happier!! It's not as feature packed obviously but it's an amazing device to use. I am so glad to be back and I love it.

Cogmate

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
Total newbie here ; 1st post.

I've got a Macbook Air (purchased 10/09).
Preparing to purchase my first smart phone.
Do I need to purchase an iP4 to get full functionality between a phone and my MBair?

In other words: Do MacPuters and Droid OSs play just fine together?
And would a Droid OS phone tether satisfactorily with my MBair?

And I don't want to have to tweak the phone to death to make it compatibale. I want to get a smart phone, learn to use it, and have it compliment and work with my MBair - period.

Thanks.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States

Do I need to purchase an iP4 to get full functionality between a phone and my MBair?

And I don't want to have to tweak the phone to death to make it compatibale. I want to get a smart phone, learn to use it, and have it compliment and work with my MBair - period.

Thanks.
You'll miss out on iTunes integration, though. That alone is a huge plus for me.

Cogmate

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
Originally Posted by Cogmate

Thanks.

You'll miss out on iTunes integration, though. That alone is a huge plus for me.

That's all the multi-media capabilities .., right?
I Know you're laughing like hell ..., maybe answer after ya catch your breath.
Thanks again.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
That's all the multi-media capabilities .., right?
I Know you're laughing like hell ..., maybe answer after ya catch your breath.
Thanks again.
Yes (music, photos, videos, podcasts, apps, etc.). For the record, I'm not laughing at all. I'm trying to help you, not mock you. ;)

Cogmate

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
Yes (music, photos, movies, podcasts, apps, etc.). For the record, I'm not laughing at all. I'm trying to help you, not mock you.

Oh, sorry if I made it sound that way!
Hey, you're a big help, and it is appreciated.
I've really only been using the MBair for word processing, email, and grabbing info off the net.

MacFourms is a gem of a find for me. Have been reading for two hours .., but have to leave you now ..., The Ravens are on in a minute.

Later, and thanks again.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Oh, sorry if I made it sound that way!
Hey, you're a big help, and it is appreciated.
I've really only been using the MBair for word processing, email, and grabbing info off the net.

MacFourms is a gem of a find for me. Have been reading for two hours .., but have to leave you now ..., The Ravens are on in a minute.

Later, and thanks again.
No problem! The MBA was a good choice, and if you still want a Droid, I'll point you to some of our Android users here on the forums. If you have any more questions, just ask. :)

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009

First gen iPhone & Samsung Vibrant? So you're comparing 3 yr old apple to current google? Nice one

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

Not using Nav I can understand since you'll only need it if lost and/or hooked into your vehicle's power source.

But not using 4G and keeping your screen at 25% on an EVO as a means of claiming that the battery life is OK is a moronic statement. Those are the whole reason for even HAVING an EVO.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
I don't think it's a good idea to compare an Android phone to an iOS phone. They are too different.

Just check out the features of each phone and pick one that you think suits you best. Only you know what works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.