Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Picked up the Nexus-S last week, and not looking back :) Battery life is million times better than the EVO, almost on par with my Brother's iPhone4. And the Super AMOLED screen is drool worthy, need to wear a bib around this awesome phone. 2.3 Gingerbread is a nicer and more polished update to the Android OS, can see it is maturing finally, and getting better with each release.

I am open to an iPhone 5 this summer, but they need to do a few things to win me over, again. Make the i5 with a slightly larger screen at 4". Add widgets to the iOS. Add a solid notification system. Do those three things and I will jump back onto Apple.

Right now this Nexus-S is so fast and smooth, amazing phone. I love my "beautiful" clock/weather widget at the top of home screen, and my star field live wallpaper, phone looks very sci/fi but still business like mature at same time.

Sure the plastic casing might look cheap, but it feels light and solid, but no it's not the bad ass looking iPhone 4. But to me only the iPhone 4 looks great, the 3G + 3GS looked lame and too rounded plastic.

I'm simple, iOS to me is much more polished than the counterparts. Notifications I can live with because of the polishness.

However the only thing I envy is a larger screen.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I'm simple, iOS to me is much more polished than the counterparts. Notifications I can live with because of the polishness.

However the only thing I envy is a larger screen.

X2. Screen size is probably the only drawback of a jailbroken iphone compared to android.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Hardcore android user here. I wouldn't mind the following changes for the next iteration of the iphone.

- make the iPhone more durable please. aka don't build a phone made of all glass please.
- better notification system that is fully integrated into the OS. no I dont want cutesy popup balloons showing a text at that very moment
- native HD 720p recording with on the spot ability to upload to youtube. Afaik, one has to JB iOS to have this feature.
- native navigation application. Maps app on iOS is looking antiquated. Currently no native navigation app exists. Hopefully the acquisition of poly9 will address this issue.
- fully integrated voice capabilities throughout entire UI. Im not talking just voice commands, but the ability to do voice to text natively. I do heavy voice search on android. This is a killer feature imo.
- multiple keyboard support.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Hardcore android user here. I wouldn't mind the following changes for the next iteration of the iphone.

- make the iPhone more durable please. aka don't build a phone made of all glass please.
- better notification system that is fully integrated into the OS. no I dont want cutesy popup balloons showing a text at that very moment
- native HD 720p recording with on the spot ability to upload to youtube. Afaik, one has to JB iOS to have this feature.
- native navigation application. Maps app on iOS is looking antiquated. Currently no native navigation app exists. Hopefully the acquisition of poly9 will address this issue.
- fully integrated voice capabilities throughout entire UI. Im not talking just voice commands, but the ability to do voice to text natively. I do heavy voice search on android. This is a killer feature imo.
- multiple keyboard support.

Is there an android that offers the above?

I forgot to mention one other feature besides a larger screen, flash.

blackberrypilot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
I actually prefer iOS' notification system. I had an EVO and hated the notification bar that I had to swipe down. I used Handcent and SMSChomp and they always crashed, frooze and looked like a 5yr old made the graphics. Maybe Apple should offer options when it comes to notification types.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Is there an android that offers the above?

I forgot to mention one other feature besides a larger screen, flash.

yes, the Droid X and EVO handles those features quite well. I would say the DX and EVO are still the flaghship Android devices currently available.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Darthdingo said:
I am not going to start a flame war here, just trying to get some good opinions.

I like both iOS and Android OS. I just think that Android seems unfinished in a way still, needs a another good OS update or two, then should be really be awesome. Everyone I know with a new Android all say the battery life is extremely bad, my EVO is known to be the worst, and the Droid-Incredible is bad, the Samsung Galaxy-S are not too good either for battery.

So everyone here with an iPhone 4, that actually use it during the workday, to make calls, e-mails, texts, etc... does it truly last a good portion of the day before dying out ? Even with Navigation too ?

Thanks

With emailing and music and web browsing along with calls and texts, the iPhone 4's battery lasts for about 2 full days. With some games, maybe a day and a half. What really sucks my battery up is the navigation. While using the Google Maps navigation, I had my battery life literally drain before my eyes.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

With emailing and music and web browsing along with calls and texts, the iPhone 4's battery lasts for about 2 full days. With some games, maybe a day and a half. What really sucks my battery up is the navigation. While using the Google Maps navigation, I had my battery life literally drain before my eyes.

What? Two days? Then you don't use your phone at all. I have owned every iPhone since the 3G and never even approached over a day. With several push accounts email accounts, push notifications, using BT or wifi (not keeping them on for any extended amts of time), powering the retina display, and even just idle, battery life is chewed up. Even traveling to places where signal is weaker, will tend to drain battery. The only time I have ever gotten more than a day is if I didn't even wake the phone up from sleep for a day. I know the iPhone 4 battery is great, but let's keep it real.

blackberrypilot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
I get a day to a day and a half of web browsing, netflix streaming a few tv episodes, push email, and an hour or two of game play as well as a hundred or two hundred texts.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
What? Two days? Then you don't use your phone at all. I have owned every iPhone since the 3G and never even approached over a day. With several push accounts email accounts, push notifications, using BT or wifi (not keeping them on for any extended amts of time), powering the retina display, and even just idle, battery life is chewed up. Even traveling to places where signal is weaker, will tend to drain battery. The only time I have ever gotten more than a day is if I didn't even wake the phone up from sleep for a day. I know the iPhone 4 battery is great, but let's keep it real.

Thank yiy for a realistic opinion. I have owned several smart phones over last few years. Blackberry...iPhone 3g...3 different Androids...not one of those phones lasted a full workday.

Do people not actually use their cell phone to actually make phone calls? I find that amazing.

Plus I email a lot. Text a lot. And read some news webpages. And I have never seen a phone last from 7:00am to 11:00pm on a single charge never.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008

I can probably make it two days on my battery life so I believe him easily. I use my phone for work, email, exchange/gmail, web, and many other things. Unplugged at 6:30am, by 10pm that night it's usually around 60-70% left.

So be real man, it does last a long time while no Android device can make it over 15 hours usually on EASY use.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
So be real man, it does last a long time while no Android device can make it over 15 hours usually on EASY use.

Thats not true actually. Many Android devices can make it over 15 hours with light usage, at least a day. My DroidX can do about a day and a half with moderate-heavy usage. Flash, perusing the web, listening to music, sending texts, taking pictures, uploading data, etc.

Some Android phones perform worst when it comes to battery life due to manufacturer's decision's, not Google. For instance, the use of AMOLED seriously depletes battery life. Furthermore, the type of radio being used destroys battery life as well.

That being said, an Android user would have to tinker a bit with settings for maximal battery life. This is a polish issue, one where the iPhone beats Android devices easily.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The EVO has perhaps the worst battery life and a lot of that is due to it having separate antenea's for 3G and 4G which is a horrible design and each drain the battery searching for a signal.
The beauty of rooting an Android is you can flash different modem firmwares (among other things) that perform better and some dont drain battery life as much. I have flashed about 4 different ones so far. The current one im using is pretty fast and working well but im not noticing better battery life but it sure does the job better than previous ones.

My battery lasts all day and i wish it were a little better but it will be much better when Dual Core phones comes out.

Last edited:

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
I run my own business. Dealing with the high end custom home Builders.

So making actual real phone calls is a big part of my day. As well as texting carpenters. Emailing vendors a lot for quotes, using Navigation to find new job sites,Etc..a smartphone is very useful and required to do business in this industry. Just want one that can do all that and not be dead by afternoon.

I have never seen a Smart Phone last from 7am to nigh time with no charging. And people that say it does obviously are not making phone calls with their phones which I find crazy how can you own a phone but then rarely use its most common feature to call people.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Thats not true actually. Many Android devices can make it over 15 hours with light usage, at least a day. My DroidX can do about a day and a half with moderate-heavy usage. Flash, perusing the web, listening to music, sending texts, taking pictures, uploading data, etc.

Some Android phones perform worst when it comes to battery life due to manufacturer's decision's, not Google. For instance, the use of AMOLED seriously depletes battery life. Furthermore, the type of radio being used destroys battery life as well.

That being said, an Android user would have to tinker a bit with settings for maximal battery life. This is a polish issue, one where the iPhone beats Android devices easily.

Samsung Moment, EVO 4G, Moto Droid, Samsung EPIC, Gaxaxy S, none of these can make it through a full day of the same use as my Iphone 4 does now and can make it longer. I have owned all of these.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I run my own business. Dealing with the high end custom home Builders.

So making actual real phone calls is a big part of my day. As well as texting carpenters. Emailing vendors a lot for quotes, using Navigation to find new job sites,Etc..a smartphone is very useful and required to do business in this industry. Just want one that can do all that and not be dead by afternoon.

I have never seen a Smart Phone last from 7am to nigh time with no charging. And people that say it does obviously are not making phone calls with their phones which I find crazy how can you own a phone but then rarely use its most common feature to call people.

I agree as I use mine for business as well.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
I agree as I use mine for business as well.

Thanks. So you own an iPhone 4 and actually use it for business like me, it sounds like? And your phone truly lasts the whole day? If that is true I might return thus Nexus for am iPhone 4

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks. So you own an iPhone 4 and actually use it for business like me, it sounds like? And your phone truly lasts the whole day? If that is true I might return thus Nexus for am iPhone 4

Yes my phone truly lasts the whole day and then some. Especially since I have been off work, and on call, the past two days have been a real test. Using it a lot for office calls, and emails for work, text, web browsing, etc. And it is at 56% now, Yesterday it was near 30% at 11pm at night from 7am. So it does very well. My EVO couldn't do that without swapping batteries and I had the OS and hacked it to make it last longer.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Samsung Moment, EVO 4G, Moto Droid, Samsung EPIC, Gaxaxy S, none of these can make it through a full day of the same use as my Iphone 4 does now and can make it longer. I have owned all of these.

I'm not denying that the iP4 can outlast any Android device out of the box. (Although, with custom ROM's, undervolting, disabling radio's, etc, its easily possible for Android OS to outlast an iP4)

Aside from the Samsung Moment; the OG (Original Droid), Galaxy S series, and Samsung EPIC is capable of lasting a day with moderate usage.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I'm not denying that the iP4 can outlast any Android device out of the box. (Although, with custom ROM's, undervolting, disabling radio's, etc, its easily possible for Android OS to outlast an iP4)

Aside from the Samsung Moment; the OG (Original Droid), Galaxy S series, and Samsung EPIC is capable of lasting a day with moderate usage.

Possible but it takes a lot of hacking to make those devices last a long time period. From the factory they will not touch a iphone 4 battery life.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure I could get 2 full days of moderate use out of my iPhone.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I'm pretty sure I could get 2 full days of moderate use out of my iPhone.

It's very easy to get 2 days use out of the iPhone if you really wanted to. I've done it since I've went on a business trip and forgotten my charger and had no choice. Youll realize that you need to save juice, you won't ******** around and play games and check the weather every 15 minutes lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.