This is really why Apple does not want Flash on iOS, and is therefore evil.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

In my opinion, the real reason why Apple does not want Flash on iOS, is because they want all multimedia viewing (movies, tv shows, songs,) to go through their mobile store. The Youtube App blocks mobile syndication on most videos containing recorded music. All Vevo music videos have mobile syndication turned off, meaning they do not appear in the mobile youtube, and will not play on mobile devices. If the iPhone had flash, users could go to the desktop version of youtube and watch the music video without restrictions. If you try to play these videos in Skyfire, Skyfire will display a message saying that those videos are not available on mobile devices. If this was because of copyright issues, then youtube would not allow every android phone with flash to be able to access them. I believe that the only reason Apple allowed Skyfire is that if the app also did not allow viewing of such videos. I think when Steve Jobs said in his "Thoughts on Flash" that flash slowed down the browsing experience and consumed more battery life, he was full of it. Of course the iPhone could handle Flash. Hell, An EnV Touch has Flash and that is not even a Smart Phone, nor does it have 3G or 4G. An iPad 2 with a Dual Core chip would not have any problem with Flash. Apple wants you to have to buy all of your songs through iTunes. iTunes is the whole reason they do not want Flash.

Separate from Flash but pertaining to media downloads, music and file download Apps on the App Store such as Downloads Lite and MusicDownload are bound by the Apple SDK License Agreement 3.3.4 : "An Application may write data on a device only to the Application's designated container area, except as otherwise specified by Apple." I believe that this is designed to prevent apps from placing music files into the iPod app, to make these apps less convenient than the iTunes Store. If you have used these apps, you will notice that having songs separate from your main library makes it less enjoyable. This makes the iTunes store the only app capable of placing music files in the iPod folder.

Separate from Flash, I believe that Apple does not allow removable memory because they want you to have to pay them $100 for a memory upgrade you could get for $20 via SD Card. Apple wants to control everything about your i Device.

This is why I'm getting an Android.

Any thoughts?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Any thoughts?
    yeah, this has been beat to death

3. flipster macrumors 6502a

I had a Droid X, Incredible and HTC Thunderbolt.

Flash runs like **** on them. It's Laggy and choppy and flash is just a CPU hog in general.

4. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

The problem with this post is highlighted in red.

The subject has been covered numerous times, you bring nothing new to the topic.

5. cross1media macrumors newbie

cross1media

We have html 5 alternative, online video works great on iPhone whitout flash (nevermind skyfire) :)

Postat de pe iPhone

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Partly that's true.

Partly I think that Apple doesn't allow SD cards because that capability adds complication to both the OS and to user training. Not necessarily a bad complication, but it would require more work and education on the part of Apple. So it's easier to simply avoid the whole thing :)

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Plus it allows for less ugly slots and such. Keeps the device simpler. :)

8. soco macrumors 68030

soco

That's all I read.

See you back in a few months for iPhone 5.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

@OP: You're assuming that Apple wants its multimedia system closed, but I think it very likely the entertainment companies would not licence their libraries to Apple without barriers to sharing files.

Besides, even if what you say is true, it simply means that Apple has a plan to make money from us. Just like Google does. So, enjoy Android, but don't delude yourself that Google's motives are any better.

10. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I say to hell with Flash on all devices. Go HTML5. Better performance, compatibility, etc. and it's open. It's the exact opposite of Flash.

11. blesio macrumors regular

Wanna go for Android? Go ahead, who's stopping 'ya. Ain't me. Have a blast.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They didn't support flash because it would cause performance and battery life issues, whether you like it or not.

If you really need flash, I'd suggest you get rid of your iphone

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Apple is not stupid. They know that no matter what or whom is really at fault, customers will blame Apple. Sure it's easy to include a toggle on/off, but most iPhone users will not accept Flash not working properly or crashing. Why should Apple bear the burden of something they can't fix

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Might be an interesting thread...
    ... and then I stopped reading.

15. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I'm thinking that internal storage was FASTER than external MicroSD even with current claims otherwise. However I agree on the training part: which storage allows for application installation or applications to run off-of; yeah better to avoid that. There always is a "why" or a "why not?".

HTML5 is an up-coming standard, and extension to the HTML4 standard and like someone mentioned an open-standard. Not to mention there's a LOT more web programmers that know how to code HTML4/5 than Flash - and HTML5 tools are FREEEEEEE. No torrent/pirating required.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Good God I hope he doesn't buy an Apple TV.

17. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Absolutely a ridiculous post, OP.

Anybody can take any media, transcode it to a iTunes-compatible format, and put it on their device. Apple doesn't want Flash because it's an ancient, crappy technology made by 1 company. It's horrible. I don't even allow flash on my Mac.

18. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

19. davelanger macrumors 6502a

20. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

This is why Adobe does not want HTML5 to emerge, and is therefore evil.

Apple, Adobe, Google, and Microsoft are among the members World Wide Web Committee (W3C), the standards board that is overseeing the HTML5 standard. Adobe has been stalling the committee's work on HTML5. The reason is simple. The emergence of HTML5 threatens Adobe's revenue stream from royalties on Flash. Adobe is using its position as a member of a standards committee to squeeze a competing standard.

So if you want to call Apple evil for SUPPOSEDLY blocking Flash to protect is revenue stream, say the same about Adobe. Adobe is attempting to stifle an emerging competitor (HTML5) to protect its revenue stream.

21. Glass Envelope macrumors newbie

22. jman240 macrumors 6502a

23. jman240 macrumors 6502a

I can think of a really good reason not to have flash other than performance issues...

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/#flashplayer

From one of the bulletins
    Then again, having Flash may make jailbreaking easier....

24. tums macrumors member

Simply put it is the performance issue. Flash is terrible.