iPhone XS Max This is why the new iPhones are failing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by janeauburn, Dec 11, 2018.

1. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

$1,535.94

That's approximately how much you'll fork over for the high-capacity XS Max, a phone that doesn't perform much better than your current model.

The bottom line is that the price is too high.

2. Otflyer macrumors 6502a

Otflyer

He’s not wrong. That’s a good part off it.

3. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

Not disagreeing with you, but how many people truly need 512GB of storage on a phone? 64GB is $1099, and 256GB is $1249 which is still priced too high by about $100 but if somebody really wanted it they could likely stretch that extra $100.

4. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Samsung not much better. Note 9 $999.00, and if you want 512 mircroSd that's another $150.00-190.00.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

And that’s why there are choices. Who’s making you buy it?

6. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Failing? They've simply chosen to sell less at a higher price, thus making it seem more "premium" and still bringing in the same revenue/profits.

7. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

No one. He is pointing out why the XS may be failing in sales.

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

People need to stop assuming it’s failing nobody here knows the true sales numbers

And quite frankly a very low amount of people even needs 512GB

9. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

This person has been complaining about the new phones for awhile. New posts every couple of days. If they don’t like it don’t buy it. There are tons of people still buying the Xs/Max. Failing? I doubt it’s failing

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

If it’s failing so is every phone on the market

Note 9 is failing

11. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Yup. They are all failures.

12. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

That's a total sales figure for all the chips they make. Not just for iPhone.

I don't think the XS has failed. Just not selling the numbers we and apple are used to seeing.

13. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Perhaps last gen phones are still very capable and people are holding back spending over a grand for something they don't need. That goes for both Apple and Android based phones.

14. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Apple is 50% of Foxconn, and 20% of TSMC. Order cuts from Apple would make the November numbers go down...

15. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My wife and I use our phones a LOT. Screen time is a slap in the face to some of us. For a device that is used every day, spending that much money makes sense for some.

Coming from the 8+, my wife and I got the Xs MAX. Yeah the monthly Apple Upgrade Plan went up to $72/mo but the extra space is nice and the screen is amazing. Camera is noticeably better in the shots we take. If I had to do it over again, I might have kept the 8+.

At least that's our goal now with the Xs MAX - we'll be keeping these till 2020 and then maybe another year or two, especially with the price we had to pay.

If I had a 6s+ or a 7+, I'd probably get the Xs MAX. 8+? Definitely not. But it's always been that way, best to keep your phone a few generations if you can stand it. The Apple Upgrade Plan makes it easier to swallow but definitely makes Apple some money.

If people are holding back now, us Xs Max owners won't be upgrading for some time (at least the majority of us I would assume, lol). Personally, I'm aiming for 3-4 years for my phone.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Inversely, “analysts” frequently point to low earnings from the likes of Pegatron and place it squarely in the iPhone as a reason...using the exact lack of complete data you’re describing.

That’s been the trend for about 5 years now...

17. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

A lot of people are saying price is the issue, but it is really innovation. The cameras on the new phones are better, for sure, but a brand new 7 or 8+ runs the basic functions of iOS 12 exactly as well as the X, XR, XS, XS Max. What Apple needs to do is add new, exclusive use cases to the newer models that basically entice people to upgrade. Where is the next Siri or Apple Pay?

18. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

I don’t think it has either but OP has insider info that it has.

19. jeyf macrumors 6502a

NOT
    have you heard of the innovative animoji totally exclusive to the X phones.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

21. JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

Phones from 2-3 generations ago are still quite capable. I see more 7s among people I know than anything else. To the casual user the new phones don’t offer anything that isn’t already being done well by their current phone. My 6s rocks and that model was released over 3 years ago.

22. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

Right out of the playbook. If you’re against something you quote the highest possible price. If you’re shilling for it, you quote the lowest possible price.

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Apple has always been more about higher ASP than volume. The past 5 or so years of high-volume sales have been the exception. I agree with everyone the prices are too high, but that's always been Apple!

24. rdillon2008 Suspended

rdillon2008

Apple needs to start cutting features from older devices. There is no way they should offer new features to old and new phones. Give people features so it is worth upgrading to