Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Did you hold a 7+? I had one for a year Slippery as hell in comparison to the X.
I dont use cases. Haven't since iphone 4. I do agree that most everybody needs a case. I baby my phones and never had an issue. On average I drop my phones twice a year and its usually around the house on carpet.
Using the phone without a case especially the X is a much better experience than any phone ive had before. The glass is grippy with your hand. It is very slippery just laying on your clothes or any fabric but in a hand its really good grip wise.
So TRUE, so much better without a case, although nerve wracking, but guess thats what insurance is for? Cases make it harder to actual use the phone for someone like me with a little arthritis... plus the feel of the phone itself is such a much better experience!

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
LOL. I mention the dozens of posts for that exact reason, because the OP has failed to. I also mention the 8/8+ for the same reason. Reasonable intelligence would require a person to consider the alternatives when claiming a product is the absolute best, and OP has failed to do so. As I said, the X is a great device technologically for Apple, but it is hardly in a category of "hard to seem real" given the myriad the problems being reported all over the internet. And there are very good alternatives out there. Sorry, but this isn't the second coming.

Dude, really?

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the manufacturing defects reported in the news are widespread. Of course, with Apple, particularly with their latest flagship, ANY problems are going to get very widely reported. But that doesn't mean they are a high percentage. My X and my wife's are defect-free. There are a ton of happy X owners all over this forum, so reasonable intelligence would require a person to take the defect reporting with a grain of salt or at least reserve judgment on the percentage of problems. And Apple support is as good as it gets. If you do have a bad one, they will swap it promptly. So, stop looking for reasons to rain on our parade.

In the OP's opinion, and in mine, this is the best smartphone available, full stop. Now, it's just an opinion, and clearly not yours. That's totally fine. Go enjoy your 8 or S8. Let us bask in the glow of a product that exceeded our already high expectations. This is an Apple enthusiast website after all. Do ALL the threads on here have to be negative?

MacQork

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2017
To be fair, this is at least a new, exciting design
We have similar posts for 8+ in this forum :D

I get so tired about people crying over the design. The iPhone 5-8 is a brilliant design. I still haven't seen another phone coming close even. People don't even appreciate great design but be crying "mehhh mehhh android has a new design each year I want too mommy I want too mehhh"

Reactions: the future

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
I love threads like this. Yes, the X is a nice device. But the OP is clearly star struck and apparently hasn't considered the dozens of posts about green lines on the screen, yellow and blue screen tint, the failure to work properly when exposed to colder temperature changes, even overheating issues using YouTube. I won't get into the mixed opinions over the notch. The phone is far, far from perfect. It has a lot of great technology but is so far from perfect that the 8 or 8+ has to be considered a great or better alternative when price is factored in.

I haven’t experienced ANY of those issues..the people I know with the X don’t have ANY of those issues..so why would those issues factor into my post? Not to say those issues don’t exist..they just don’t exist to me.

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
I love threads like this. Yes, the X is a nice device. But the OP is clearly star struck and apparently hasn't considered the dozens of posts about green lines on the screen, yellow and blue screen tint, the failure to work properly when exposed to colder temperature changes, even overheating issues using YouTube. I won't get into the mixed opinions over the notch. The phone is far, far from perfect. It has a lot of great technology but is so far from perfect that the 8 or 8+ has to be considered a great or better alternative when price is factored in.
I haven't had any of those failures, so in my personal experience the X is almost perfect and I love it. As for the price, the value of something is based on what someone else is prepared to pay for it and as millions of people have paid that, it seems that isn't a factor either.

Reactions: DiveKitty

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Slow down. It's a great phone and I own one, but it is about equal to the Galaxy S8.

Nah, I don't think so. I have both also Silver iPhone X and Midnight black S8. While the S8 display is gorgeous, it just does not look or feel as premium is the X to me (Probably because it isn't) And with the Android experience (which I must admit, is much improved compare to how it was) makes the X totally a different kind, at least for me.

Reactions: redman042

Danzobee

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
For me, the "magic" is in the total experience of the phone's hardware and software ability integrated in such a manner, that it makes the users experience pleasant, seamless and productive.

Putting a case on a phone should not remove the "magic," in my opinion. If it does, who are you (plural use) trying to impress?
I️ see your point and agree —if these folks are talking about how the X looks to others— but i understood it as the magical *feel* of the device goes away with a case. That’s how I️ read I️t.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Nah, I don't think so. I have both also Silver iPhone X and Midnight black S8. While the S8 display is gorgeous, it just does not look or feel as premium is the X to me (Probably because it isn't) And with the Android experience (which I must admit, is much improved compare to how it was) makes the X totally a different kind, at least for me.

But you've also paid at least £350 more for the X and no one in this world or the next will convince me there's that much difference (if any) between an S8 and a X. iOS is a bit of a dog's breakfast in certain areas too.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
But you've also paid at least £350 more for the X and no one in this world or the next will convince me there's that much difference (if any) between an S8 and a X. iOS is a bit of a dog's breakfast in certain areas too.

It all depends on your point of view and priorities.

No one in this world or the next will convince me that saving $300 is worth settling for an S8 with Android <cough> and Touchwiz <choke>.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
It all depends on your point of view and priorities.

No one in this world or the next will convince me that saving $300 is worth settling for an S8 with Android <cough> and Touchwiz <choke>.

Pretty sad that you have such a closed mind on things. I have the iPhone and the Galaxy and quite frankly I can't see there's anything (apart from cost) which would make me choose one over the other.

Sweeperdk

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Århus, Denmark
Pretty sad that you have such a closed mind on things. I have the iPhone and the Galaxy and quite frankly I can't see there's anything (apart from cost) which would make me choose one over the other.

I can easily pinpoint what would make someone choose one over the other: preference.

I too use both android and IOS regularly, note 8 and iPhone X to be precise, and for me it's not even close to being a contest. The iPhone X smokes the Note 8.

No, the iPhone X is not innovative. No, it hasn't brought anything mind blowing to the market. Yes, it copies much of what android has had for a while.

But... What apple do, and do best, is to take already known technology and improve it way way beyond that which is already on the market, and that is one of their absolute major advantages (and most likely THE reason why many of us choose iPhone over any android.

It sure is for me... And that's the good thing here: MY preference is the iPhone X, and there's no way you (or anyone else) can change that. Because it's my subjective choice. And no, I won't try to change am android users mind: their phone, their choice.

/Rant over.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

I honestly wouldn’t care of convincing you of anything. Galaxy S8 is a brilliant quality for a company who is well known of making devices on a cheap plastic shell on the past versions.Samsung was under pressure to improve quality and move away from plastic and I must say it has done exellent job. But for me, X falls totally in a different league. And I am talking about build quality only. Everything abou X screams Premium.

Last edited:

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008

How do I have a closed mind? Because I don’t see things your way? I know quite well what the S8 offers, and doesn’t. It’s not for me, for many reasons.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Not sure how someone else's opinion would be close minded. If somebody is to choose between the iPhone and the Galaxy series, it comes down strictly to the software experience. Hardware is superficial that will wear off eventually, but everything else somebody is immersed into either Android or iOS.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I can easily pinpoint what would make someone choose one over the other: preference.

I too use both android and IOS regularly, note 8 and iPhone X to be precise, and for me it's not even close to being a contest. The iPhone X smokes the Note 8.

No, the iPhone X is not innovative. No, it hasn't brought anything mind blowing to the market. Yes, it copies much of what android has had for a while.

But... What apple do, and do best, is to take already known technology and improve it way way beyond that which is already on the market, and that is one of their absolute major advantages (and most likely THE reason why many of us choose iPhone over any android.

It sure is for me... And that's the good thing here: MY preference is the iPhone X, and there's no way you (or anyone else) can change that. Because it's my subjective choice. And no, I won't try to change am android users mind: their phone, their choice.

/Rant over.

I was listening to an article on the radio the other morning (a tech spot). The reviewer was stating that recent research has shown that the modern smartphone (from any manufacturer) will work straight out of the box and wait for this - can easily be set up and operated by a child aged 8.

Now that for me says everything you need to know about these silly iOS Android wars. That is of course unless the 8 year old is more tech savvy then those a decade or so older.

Has to make you wonder who are the children and who are the adults.

Oh, the other thing which was mentioned and which I'm aware of from personal experience. More iPhone users use Google's apps on their phones than the standard apps which come with the iPhone.
[doublepost=1510918722][/doublepost]
How do I have a closed mind? Because I don’t see things your way? I know quite well what the S8 offers, and doesn’t. It’s not for me, for many reasons.

It offers a much cheaper version of basically the same thing - a phone.
[doublepost=1510919248][/doublepost]
I honestly wouldn’t care of convincing you of anything. Galaxy S8 is a brilliant quality for a company who is well known of making devices on a cheap plastic shell on the past versions.Samsung was under pressure to improve quality and move away from plastic and I must say it has done exellent job. But for me, X falls totally in a different league. And I am talking about build quality only. Everything abou X screams Premium.

I suppose it depends if you feel validated by owning 'premium possessions'. Personally I couldn't care less. I don't validate myself by the things I own.

I think some people are forgetting that the main feature of the X is the screen. Now who is it that makes that panel?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I suppose it depends if you feel validated by owning 'premium possessions'. Personally I couldn't care less. I don't validate myself by the things I own.

I think some people are forgetting that the main feature of the X is the screen. Now who is it that makes that panel?

You were commenting on quality and I said for me the quality of S8 (or any other smartphone for that matter) can not match the quality of iPhone X. Period! And if I pay £999 or more, it better be. I don't pay that amount of money for plastic trash and if other people are not concerned with quality, that's up to them. For me the build quality matters. For others it doesn't. Each to their own.

As for the display, there is a lot of misconception here, Apple have designed and calibrated the display to match their specific requirements and Samsung have build it. Samsung have done OLED for years, there is a reason why iPhone X display was named the best. There are builders but before you get there, there are Architects. Samsung are clearly the builders here.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
You were commenting on quality and I said for me the quality of S8 (or any other smartphone for that matter) can not match the quality of iPhone X. Period! And if I pay £999 or more, it better be. I don't pay that amount of money for plastic trash and if other people are not concerned with quality, that's up to them. For me the build quality matters. For others it doesn't. Each to their own.

As for the display, there is a lot of misconception here, Apple have designed and calibrated the display to match their specific requirements and Samsung have build it. Samsung have done OLED for years, there is a reason why iPhone X display was named the best. There are builders but before you get there, there are Architects. Samsung are clearly the builders here.

Well we'll simply have to agree to disagree. I'm pretty sure that if there was a blind test between the two models neither you nor anyone else would be able to say which of those two phones were made by which manufacturer.

I've played around with the X for quite a period of time and there isn't one thing about it that screamed it was any better than it's rival. In fact if I was really pushed on this issue I think the iPhone 8 plus feels the nicer of the two iPhones.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
LOL. I mention the dozens of posts for that exact reason, because the OP has failed to. I also mention the 8/8+ for the same reason. Reasonable intelligence would require a person to consider the alternatives when claiming a product is the absolute best, and OP has failed to do so. As I said, the X is a great device technologically for Apple, but it is hardly in a category of "hard to seem real" given the myriad the problems being reported all over the internet. And there are very good alternatives out there. Sorry, but this isn't the second coming.
You're a classic.

OP is happy with their bug-free device, yet they should read up on problems others are having & re-think their opinion on their device which is working fine.

Keep your misery/glass half empty negativity to yourself.....

Reactions: DiveKitty

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I agree there is nothing wrong with the screen on the iPhone 8 either. The X may be technically better and if you care about that then great. I have no interest in paying significantly more just for a slightly better screen, but that’s me. This tit for tat points scoring these phones to feel superior is rather silly.

Both are decent phones for there selective markets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.