Those Not Getting An X - Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neteng101, Nov 2, 2017.

?

If you don't plan on getting the X, what's your primary reservation?

1. FaceID

22 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Notch

37 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Price

86 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Other - please explain

61 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. None - I am getting the X (this is for you others that just feel the need to vote!)

138 vote(s)
    34.7%
  6. Waiting for next year's X Plus

54 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. pl1984 Suspended

IOW they paid for these reviews.

2. adam1080 macrumors regular

adam1080

You are correct... 95-99% of YouTube and currently produced TV is in 16:9 aspect ratio which would put the X image size essentially the same as the 6/7/8 and not as big as the plus. (Which does bum me out.)

I lot of movies though, are not 16:9. Anything you watch on your tv that has big letterbox bars should have a bigger image on the X than the plus and definitely non-plus. It won't get rid of all the bars without the zoom, but it will be better. I do hate watching any movies on my plus with those bars...

Plus the contrast ratio and detail in he blacks should be way better...

I'll miss the plus sometimes though I'm sure.

3. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

Along with a few others, it’s price for me. I was using a 6 when everything was announced this year and took advantage of a Verizon deal and bought a 7. I was very close to trying out Android for the first time in about 6 years but the Apple ecosystem pulled me back in. We’ll see what 2018 holds, I’d like to see the SE updated.

4. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Certainly could be assumed. I see where you are coming from. The ones who don’t sell out? They had to wait.

5. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

I ultimately voted for price, but really wanted to vote for most of the options (bar the ‘I’m getting the X!’ option, that’s silly, there are plenty of X threads atm). £1000 is absolutely ludicrous for a phone (yes, okay, mini computer - but it’s still ridiculous). TouchID has always worked perfectly for me, and I find FaceID gimmicky and cheesy.

Also not willing to be a beta tester for £1000 :p I got an 8 instead and it’s a lovely little phone, even if this site tries to make it out to be the X’s ugly stepsister. :rolleyes:

6. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

I'd buy the heck out of a SE 'X edition', I'd even forgive the notch heressy if that happens :D

7. g75d3 macrumors newbie

I plan on keeping my 6s until it dies. As a musician I need a headphone jack to connect my irig keyboard (all adapters even those that promise audio and sync feature don't work). I think the way Apple dealt with notch is disgusting(especially in landscape mode). Though face is is engineering marvel it is still worse then Touch ID which works almost perfectly for me. And I have general usability issues as well: there is a lot of wasted space at the bottom and control center requires the use of two hands. So basically FOR ME iPhone X is huge step backwards.

8. pl1984, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

pl1984 Suspended

I don't mean to imply the reviews weren't accurate. They very well could be. But I've been an Apple user since before it was cool to be an Apple user and I know Apple isn't going to give early access to anyone who will say anything negative. There are a lot of Apple fanboi's out there who feel Apple can do no wrong. Apple may have targeted people who fall into that category.

The irony being they fired the father of one person who's review we could probably trust the most.

9. Koobs macrumors 6502

Koobs

99% sure I will like the X, however my 7+ will be sitting in my drawer waiting to be fired up again if I decide to return the X.

10. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

whiteshadoww

Sound reasoning. I have a 6s Plus and cant wait. I have purchased every phone every year except for the 7. Can't wait any longer even though I know Face ID will be so much better next year.

11. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

You have totally summed up how I feel about this forum at the moment. Whilst I don’t begrudge X buyers for their excitement, I’m fed up of being made to feel like a ‘hater’ or a second-class citizen because I bought an 8. The snobbery around here at the moment is unreal. :( Also tired of those who think the sun shines out of the X’s proverbial arse. No phone is ever perfect, and yeah I get you’re excited, but Lord, it’s not the second coming. :p

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Voted other, decided to give a Galaxy Note 8 a try and boy am I glad I did. I feel that the iPhone X is ridiculously overpriced for what it gives me. So many other phone makers have been using OLED panels for years now yet Apple decided to increase the price for the X because...Apple. FaceID is really the only innovative tech introduced here but while I believe it will be decent I’m pretty sure version two will be better.

I may come back to an iPhone with version 2 of the X but I may not. One thing I learned with the Note 8 is...it’s all the same. Wether I’m using Lightroom on my Note 8 or on my 7 Plus it’s excatly the same. And that goes for all apps that have both Android and iOS versions. The big benefit of Android is the file system. I can open any file in any app that supports the file type.

As for cameras I think all flagship phones are so close that it doesn’t matter which one you have. Especially now that most shoot RAW you can get the results you want in post.

Had the iPhone X been introduced at the same price as the iPhone 8 I probably would have stuck with iPhone but then I wouldn’t have tried Android which really opened my eyes to the world outside iOS. Glad I did what I did.

13. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

I’m all for it. Looking at the 8 and X, I wouldn’t think Apple would release two phones so close in size if both had Face ID and no home button. So the next logical size down to me would be the SE in X form. iPhone SEX, I’d buy it!

14. uzubairu macrumors newbie

uzubairu

I’m probably in the minority that thinks the 6/7/8 are still bigger than I would prefer.

I love my SE for it’s compact size, weight and battery life.
    I hope the SE line gets updated next.
    Everything else is just too big.

15. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

Since my iPhone 7 Plus is running smooth and the X doesnt really add anything of value to me (at the end of the day it will run the same apps as the day before) i will wait another X gen at least.

Doesnt really make much sense to me to pay another 1000€ for a different unlock method or a smaller screen

16. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

I'm not getting it because I don't have a trust fund.

17. nilk macrumors 6502a

Since I usually hold my phone with my left hand, I'm not a fan of the control center being the furthest away from my thumb. That said, I do like the location of the lock-screen 3DT shortcuts for flashlight and camera and wish they'd bring that to other iPhones that have 3DT. Camera swipe shortcut has always been unreliable, the 3DT shortcut has to be better than that.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My 6 Plus was getting a bit slow until 11.2 beta 1 came out (now it’s acceptably quick again) but I’ve got debt I’d prefer to knock out at the moment and a house to get ready for sale, not to mention another larger one to find and buy.

19. AppleLuvver macrumors member

AppleLuvver

I voted other. I got the AW3 cellular and am finding myself often leaving my phone behind. There isn’t any killer feature on the X I am wanting, and my 7 works great.

20. The Other One macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, for those who are severely bothered by the "notch," what would have been a better solution? No front-facing camera? A large bezel on the top only?

I think the entire raison d'etre of the iPhone X was to offer a smartphone that came as close to an all-screen device as technology currently allows. And, frankly, they got pretty darn close. I'm just wondering what the naysayers would have preferred to compromise on instead of the notch.

21. Easttime macrumors 6502a

I’m not getting an X because my 3 year old 6 is working just fine.

22. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

you named your kid '6'?

pretty cool.. i guess.

-----
    (j/k.. but that's how i read it the first time)

23. auero macrumors 65816

I usually buy the highest/most expensive model, but this year I went with an 8 Plus. I'm not a fan of the notch and didn't think the marginal difference in performance between the two models justified the price. If I recall correctly, the aperture on the telephoto lens is the only difference. Yes, I know, there is FaceID and the display is different, but they're not worth the extra $270 to me.

24. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I am tired of the size of the 7 plus but also waiting to see how the UX of the iphone x with along with all the IOS 11 changes meshes together.

Lots of experimentation going on tbh.

25. ImBuz macrumors 6502

ImBuz