Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are your iPhone plans this year?

• I own an iPhone X - Will buy the the 2019 iPhone X

Votes: 38 7.5%
  • I own an iPhone X - Will buy the 2019 iPhone X+

Votes: 95 18.7%
  • I own an iPhone X - Will buy the 2019 LCD iPhone

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I own an iPhone 8 or 8+ - Will buy the 2019 X or X+

Votes: 42 8.3%
  • I own an iPhone 8 or 8+ - Will buy the 2019 LCD iPhone

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • I own an iPhone 6/6s/7/SE - Will buy the 2019 X or X+

Votes: 90 17.7%
  • I own an iPhone 6/6s/7/SE - Will buy the 2019 LCD iPhone

Votes: 22 4.3%
  • I own an iPhone 6/6s/7/SE - Will buy the iPhone 8

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • I will keep my current phone / not sure

Votes: 204 40.1%

• Total voters

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
If the X is only going to be worth 600 max I would rather give the phone back to my carrier instead of paying it off and selling.

Giving your phone back to your carrier for trade in is a losing proposition because you end up losing all of your equity in the phone and are essentially just renting a device. You’ll always be better off selling it to a 3rd party.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Giving your phone back to your carrier for trade in is a losing proposition because you end up losing all of your equity in the phone and are essentially just renting a device. You’ll always be better off selling it to a 3rd party.

True but I guess it all depends on what it's resale value is, at the time of the iPhone announcements?

Reactions: rui no onna

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Equity? Its a smart phone. Its a deappreciating piece of tech. Also, some want to avoid selling third party to avoid sites like eBay or Swappa where someone could be subject to fraud, especially given Apple product popularity. Sometimes, trading in is a safer bet and I don’t care if lose money or not. It at least avoids issues as mentioned above.

Last edited:

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Honestly, I'm not sure what my next thing is. I spent 1k on a phone.. I just might keep it lol or if next iPhone (not the one coming out this year) is any better I'll most likely get that one instead.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
...these leaks here look VERY sexy indeed!!!!!!!!

If these are true, which there is a high chance that they are, we are gonna be spoilt for choice come this September......

Definitely the RED one for me.

0818f21457ead03b6719036d9b11a9ca.jpg

Reactions: Dino F

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
First let’s see how the new Hardware looks as well as functions before we decide whether to buy it
Remember this is a Holdover year so the internal upgrade is key.
Unless somebodies looking to buy a bigger iPhone there’s no rush

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I think I'll keep my current phones; I just bought an Honor 10 so that makes 3 phones I've got. No doubt, though, that I'll be glued to the news to see what Apple unveils.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Last year I didn’t think the screen of the X was big enough so I opted for an 8+.

Also I thought the notch was hideous, and now every X owner I’ve met said they don’t notice it. So this year I’ll go for an X+

Reactions: Dino F

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Last year I didn’t think the screen of the X was big enough so I opted for an 8+.

Also I thought the notch was hideous, and now every X owner I’ve met said they don’t notice it. So this year I’ll go for an X+

It’s true about the notch. I’ve had my X since November and I don’t even notice the notch anymore. I also don’t notice it during movies and I don’t mind the size of the device. I will still upgrade to the X+ because I love how much screen the X have.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I could be wrong, but I think the only really intriguing phone Apple has coming this fall is the alleged X+. Assuming it has the same form factor as my 8+(just with more screen and less bezel) then I’m not as intrigued. I want the biggest form factor I can have, since I do a lot of messaging on my phone and will take the widest keyboard possible. I don’t watch movies on my phone, so oled and 6.5” don’t move the needle for me. I’m anxious to read reviews, but the things I am waiting for won’t be available in 2018. I’m hearing 2020 before they’re here, so the 8+ might become the first smart phone I’ve ever kept for more than 1 year.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Disagree entirely. Having an _expanded_ iPhone line up offers a price point and dispay size for everyone. Its more options, more options leads to a wider selection and variety, meeting different preferences for everyone. Apple should be catering to a wider demographic with iPhones like the SE with an affordable price point, in between iPhone models and of course the 5.8 iPhone X. Before it was complaints Apple had a poor selection of iPhone models, now its complaints because ‘Apple has lost the concept of simplicity’? Doesn’t seem to negatively affecting the outcome for the iPhone, in which they sold approximately *220 million* iPhones in 2017.
Calm down. My point isn’t that multiple tiers is a bad thing, it’s that the tiers are confused. For example, somebody who wants an OLED screen and the middle ground screen size can’t have it. What’s the logic in giving more screen space to ‘budget’ buyers than Premium buyers for whom the larger model is a touch too big?

And I’ve never complained there was a poor selection of iPhones.

Reactions: rbrian

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I have a question relating to this. As it seems I am destined to buy the new 6.1” LCD model this year, how much of a size jump do you think it will be from my 6S? Is it something you could handle or would you personally find it too big. And yes I appreciate we don’t know how big it will be, but it’s safe to assume bigger then an X.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It's sort of hard to gauge without knowing what Apple's plans are. Certainly, if the 6.1" LCD iPhone has dual-rear-cameras, and the same aluminum body that the iPhone 6s/6s Plus and iPhone 7/7 Plus has, then, sure, I'll totally consider it. However, if the rumors about it only having a single camera and no 3D touch are true, then that changes things. Also, if they keep another 5.5" iPhone with the style of the 7 Plus or the 8 Plus with modern innards in the line, I'd probably prefer that over anything with FaceID as I do love that Home Button and TouchID seems quite tried and true at this point.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I'm on Android now. I will consider switching back iff Apple puts B14 in the new iPhone, and there is a Qualcomm version. If Apple is pushing farther down the path to go all-Intel, then my 4s will have been my last iPhone, and I will begrudgingly buy another Samsung phone that at least gets good reception.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My point isn’t that multipleFor example, somebody who wants an OLED screen and the middle ground screen size can’t have it.

I understand your example, but I don’t see how that’s “confusing”. That just means that there is a specific option at somebody can’t have, but my point was; I don’t think the average consumer cares that much about an OLED display given that they have a plethora of options to choose from any iPhone in the line up with different sizes and price points. You can’t fault Apple for at least providing the options they do, given not every consumer wants or cares about the iPhone X.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Have had every iteration of iPhone since the iPhone 3G right up to the X. However its time to jump of this incremental upgrade train. £1000 is my absolute limit (and maybe a one off) and I STILL regret paying so much for a phone even though I love the X.

I'll probably sit it out for the next few years, the X is great, prices have gone past what I think a phone is worth, and honestly...even though I wouldn't be without my smartphone I am no longer really excited by them.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I will do the same thing i always do.

Run my iphone 7 until it dies, performance falls off a cliff, or it otherwise becomes unusable.

Upgrading every year is madness. As far as I'm concerned they're a 2-3 year device. Run the thing over 2-3 years, upgrade then. There's always something better coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.