Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It's not a criminal offense in the United States. You would not go to jail here for doing this. You might get fired, you might be completely unpalatable to other employers, you might be sued, your career might be finished. But you would not go to jail for divulging trade secrets.

You are quite mistaken.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Hardly slave labor. Their labor practices and culture is different than ours, but, you do realize, the Chinese people line up to work there. It's considered one of the best places to work.

I'm not saying that I'm for some of their practices... and there are places that run sweat shops... but they are becoming more rare. Most US retailers (even Walmart) require certain standards are met and do not condone sweatshop practices.

Just because culturally they are willing to work more hours for less pay does not make them slaves.

When people typically talk about slave labor they are not speaking literally. They generally mean to imply, that according to their perspective, the affected people are being grossly exploited. It simply doesn't matter what the Chinese standards are. What matters is whether or not first-world nations are grossly exploiting the third-world. Sure the third-world may be ok with it, but in all likeliness, if they are being exploited, they don't really have a choice to alter their cultural standards if they want to survive.

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
OMG just to leak a few photos , they get to spend so long in china prison (not like US prison), where they have to endure hard labour.

they better got enough money to bribe the prison guards, or they will be died.

That means that there will be no more leak from china in near future.

Globe199

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
I'm sure Apple didn't want to. It's not their fight.

That's what I said. They don't NEED to make it their fight. The companies that assemble these products wants ROBOTS on the production floor. They will not tolerate any sort of transgression; they don't want there to be any perception or shred of workers' rights. That can only lead to further insubordination. Have you heard the rumblings lately of higher pay for factory workers in China? I'm sure the government isn't thrilled about that.

I think you might watch too many movies. Not saying everywhere is perfect or humane or that every company is above board... but it's becoming more and more the case. Again... most US companies don't and won't support sweatshop labor.

Only because it makes for bad press back home, just like this article has. But no matter, because it will have long been forgotten by the time we see the iPhone 5 or whatever.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
That isn't the question. The question is, are you (or any consumers) willing to put your money where your mouth is, and refuse to buy Apple products until that time? It's a serious question that needs a serious discussion.

Came up in the explosion thread and is always coming up.

People say a lot, but vote mostly with their wallets for the cheapest option.
They will not change unless forced or when there is no other option.

A few simple examples about what people do:

Last week I was at a walk for life event. Lots of posters about living healthy, eating healthy, all sponsored by HMO's and major corporations.
Walking around the booths were selling: pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, sweet stuff for kids, deep fried funnel cake, sugary soft drinks etc. etc.

Not one piece of fruit available or any alternatives to junk food.

All the booths were crowded by fat out of shape people buying junk food.

Panera
--------
When you buy a baguette bread the whole grain variety is always left over and donated.
I guess people don't want healthy.

In summary, the few people willing to pay more for a locally produced electronic product are probably no more than 5%.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
"vote mostly for their wallets" yet Apple products are already overly expensive?

Price is perhaps the most overstated factor when it concerns the sucess of a product.

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Honestly, if Apple were really a great company, they'd build their hardware in countries that respect human rights. Yes, it would cost more. Think different.

It would cost more, and you wouldn't buy it.

If human rights mean so much to you, then I'm glad that you never have to do any shopping anywhere, as it all comes from China ;)

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
You really think that a bottom-rung factory worker in the USA would be jailed for leaking product photographs. OK. :confused:

Are they trade secrets? Does it violate the Economic Espionage Act of 1996?

They may not be brought up on charges in their particular case, but the option is available to prosecutors.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Prison???? No. Getting fired and a major fine, yes.

No, they would write a book why they did it and go on a promo tour on all the talk channels, book stores etc..

Then ensues a discussion about labor practices in China, consumers in USA forcing "slave" labor upon developing nations etc.etc.

akicebear

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2009
Depends on how you look at the statistics. I'd wager there is a much higher proportion of people living in unpoliced rural areas in China than in the US. Per capita should be measured by comparable cities not nationally. For anything meaningful, anyway.

Its likely such statistics (e.g. Beijing or Shanghai vs NYC, LA, SF, etc) would make the crime in the US seem even worse. I've lived in several large cities around the world, Beijing being the largest and indeed the safest - extremely rare accounts of violent crime or crime against women, women comfortable walking alone at night, etc.

That's probably due to a overly harsh criminal justice system that some will admonish on human rights grounds, perhaps rightfully so, but its hard to take seriously anyone that thinks violent crime is a serious issue in Chinese cities (for common citizens).

Regarding this case, I agree with others in that the criminal knew legal system he lived prior to committing the crime. Also, some of the rumors of Chinese prisons here are fairly extreme; one should be aware of their own country's shortcomings before being overly critical (China certainly has problems, but wrt prison America is pretty dismal for a developed country).

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I like how folks here talk like it's nothing. IT IS A CRIME. You think stuff just 'happens'? Companies spend millions of dollars on innovation, design, R&D. Before the iPad there was probably a million prototypes that just did not work. And then someone goes and simply takes the product of months of labour and leaks it out just like that.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The court said Ms. Hou then paid Lin Kecheng, a Hon Hai research-and-development employee...

So this person was an R&D employee. Not a peasant shipped from his farm to live in the big town, who gets bribed to smuggle pictures out. R&D means highly educated, well paid person, and a person whose job it is to develop things that become trade secrets.

In that position, the employee absolutely has to be trustworthy. He knew exactly what he was doing. He knew that for just $3,000 he was selling out his employer. He had to know that this would be highly damaging for his employer and for his employer's customer; it could have meant the loss of a major contract, huge loss of money, and many people losing their employment over that.

I'd say a prison sentence is well deserved. He was greedy, and he sold out the employer who pays his salary and his colleagues out of pure greed. He was also very, very stupid. I know that $3,000 in China is worth more than $3,000 where I live, but still, it isn't the amount of money that any sane person would risk their whole career for. Instead of a well paid job, he now faces jail time, plus no decent company will ever employ him again.

You really think that a bottom-rung factory worker in the USA would be jailed for leaking product photographs. OK. :confused:

Research and Development, not factory worker.

Yet their corporate bosses rarely get their comeuppance for committing much more heinous crimes of financial misdealings, breaking pollutant regulations etc.

In China, some company bosses _did_ get death penalties in the fake milk scandal a while ago.

Honestly, if Apple were really a great company, they'd build their hardware in countries that respect human rights. Yes, it would cost more. Think different.

So what does a prison sentence for industrial espionage have to do with human rights?

Last edited:

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
I'm surprised so many people consider this a particularly harsh punishment.

It really doesn't sound bad to me at all. They broke the rules, they deserve to be punished, end of story.

i don't think anyone's saying they didn't "break the rules", nor are they saying they don't deserve to face the consequences. what people are disputing however is what those consequences are. crime and punishment isn't black and white. there are shades of grey within each category. five mph over the speed limit is breaking the rules but, of course, that doesn't mean any degree of punishment is acceptable. and that's what's being discussed here. does the punishment fit the crime? most people don't seem to think so and i have to agree. it kind of unnerves me that commodity plays this kind of role in our lives now.

EnergonCube

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
China is a manufacturing country and they are obviously "sending a message" to protect that reputation. Harsh? Hell yeah.

Keep in mind this a country that will sentence a man to death and charge his family for the bullet.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
On the other hand, however, I don't think going to prison for leaked images is fair at all. Especially not for this long! I mean wow. A fine or getting fired would have been plenty. ..It's always the small people that get punished the most.

These are not small people, if you read the report. It was a scam to get detailed corporate product info before release, create a fake product and sell it.

It is so odd to me, that people have and will complain, for years, about lack of piracy laws in China, from music to movies to clothing to products, yet when teeth are put into efforts to protect legally created and owned industry assets, there is a cry that prosecuting these people is excessive.

"A court in south China has jailed three people for stealing the design to Apple’s iPad2 tablet computer and using it to manufacture counterfeits, state press said Wednesday,” AFP reports. “The theft from a plant run by Foxconn, a contract electronics manufacturer, in Guangdong province late last year resulted in fake iPad2s being sold in China before Apple’s official launch of the product, the Guangzhou Daily said.”

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
read the report

These were not bottom rung "anybodys". A manufacturing company paid to have details stolen, then made fake ipads and then sold them on the market. China is known for piracy and it seems instead of applauding one effort to crack down, you are attacking it and somehow defending corporate theft, piracy of product?
•BEIJING — A court in south China has jailed three people for stealing the design to Apple's iPad2 tablet computer and using it to manufacture counterfeits, state press said Wednesday.

"It's not a criminal offense in the United States. You would not go to jail here for doing this. You might get fired, you might be completely unpalatable to other employers, you might be sued, your career might be finished. But you would not go to jail for divulging trade secrets."

News from the BBC that Joya Williams, the secretary at Coca Cola who offered the recipe for, and samples of, a new product and on to Pepsi, has been jailed for 8 years. Pepsi refused to bite, and alerted Coca Cola and subsequently cooperated with the FBI. In sentencing Williams, District Judge J Owen Forrester said ‘This is the kind of offence that cannot be tolerated in our society’.

beebler

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

We're all part of that mass who wants blood diamonds of info leaks and fuel these miners to put themselves at risk.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

We're all part of that mass who wants blood diamonds of info leaks and fuel these miners to put themselves at risk.

Now this is the most interesting perspective I've heard.

However, thinking about it... they didn't take the pictures for the sake of rumors... they took them for money and so that others could profit. We just happened to get the benefit of some early pics because of their stupidity and personal greed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.