MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, Apple journalist John Gruber highlighted a comment made by Tim Cook during an interview with NDTV's Vikram Chandra back in May, in which the Apple CEO was asked what he thought Steve Jobs would make of the Apple Pencil.

ipad-pro-apple-pencil-screen-800x471.jpg

NDTV: Has that voice never come to you? For example when you launched the pencil and you know what Steve said,' if you see a stylus they blew it', when you launched that pencil?

Tim Cook: Well we launched a pencil, not a stylus, first of all, and there's a big difference, and the things that people are doing with this pencil, I think that Steve would have loved. He loved to help people create. And if you've ever seen what can be created with that pencil on an iPad or an iPhone, it's really unbelievable. You should really show some of these to your audience.
Gruber wondered whether Cook had simply misspoken, or if he had perhaps let slip that Apple was internally using the Pencil with its upcoming iPhone.

Apple's Pencil currently only works with the iPad Pro because of the display technology required to achieve the tool's high responsiveness: the iPad Pro's screen features a subsystem which scans the Pencil's signal 240 times per second, enabling it to detect position, force, and tilt at the individual pixel level.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously claimed Apple will release new iPad Pro models next year, but with the fate of the iPad mini uncertain, it's conceivable that Apple may discontinue the tablet and pitch the iPhone 7 as its smallest creative device by adding support for the Apple Pencil. Alternatively, it could restrict support for the tool to the iPhone 7 Plus, which would serve to further differentiate it from the new 4.7-inch handset and give pre-recall users of the Galaxy Note 7 - which has a stylus - another reason to consider switching devices.

Based on display improvements introduced in the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, DisplayMate's Ray Soneira has speculated the iPhone 7 display could include similar features such as True Tone, as Apple often expands display advancements across its entire product lineup. Whether or not this includes the subsystem required to support the Apple Pencil remains unclear.

With just hours to go before Apple's iPhone 7 event, we'll know for sure later today. Apple will provide a live stream of the keynote on the Apple TV and on iOS and Mac devices through its website, starting at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time. MacRumors will also have full coverage of the event, with a live blog on our front page at MacRumors.com and updates in 140 characters or less through our @MacRumorsLive account on Twitter.

Article Link: Tim Cook Comment Prompts Speculation iPhone 7 Will Support Apple Pencil

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Apple Pencil support would be a good enough reason to upgrade to these new iPhones alone. If Apple does fiind a way to pack that incredible technology into these smaller screen devices, demand for these new iPhones is going to be off-the-charts.

I suspect it may only go into the iPhone 7 Plus model.

Comment

tazinlwfl

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
I'm waiting for the Pencil2, with magnetic attachment and an eraser mode. It'll need to be a little slimmer, and should support 3D Touch on the iPhone. Just my opinion.

Reactions: boston04and07
Comment

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
For me Apple Pencil seems to be unpractical to use on an iPhone.
Maybe a smaller version of the Pencil on some 5.5" or bigger iPhone Pro this or next year? Don't know, I think he misspoke.

Comment

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Apple Pencil support would be a good enough reason to upgrade to these new iPhones alone. If Apple does fiind a way to pack that incredible technology into these smaller screen devices, demand for these new iPhones is going to be off-the-charts.

I suspect it may only go into the iPhone 7 Plus model.
Off the charts? lol. Normal people don't even realize the Apple Pencil exists. Think again

Comment

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Seems like they would need to put out a Pencil mini, maybe 1/2 the length with the same tech. Obviously there wouldn't be a slot to store it in the iPhone so that would at least make it more pocketable... Heh, they could even leave out the pressure sensitivity to make it cheaper since that's already in the iPhone's screen.

Reactions: igazza
Comment

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
And the issue with carrying the pencil around with you?
Replace headphone jack with built in pencil, cough cough, Samsung note.
Now that would be welcomed for the plus model. For me at least.

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The pencil goes against everything Steve believed in, anyone who thinks different has no clue

I firmly disagree.

When Steve was talking about the stylus, he was talking about the user interface to control the device. He found that touch was the most intuitive and efficient interface to control a mobile OS, over carrying a stylus and tapping the screen with that. I would agree.

When Tim Cook talks about the Apple Pencil, he's talking about the user interface to draw and add functionality that the finger can't really do. He's not talking about replacing the finger. Most people find that a pencil is the most intuitive and efficient interface to sketch photographs. I would agree.
[doublepost=1473245857][/doublepost]
Off the charts? lol. Normal people don't even realize the Apple Pencil exists. Think again

Respectfully, the Apple Pencil isn't quite marketed for 'normal people'; it's more of a niche product, specifically for graphic design. Unless every Tom, Dick, and Harry work at Pixar!

Comment

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I firmly disagree.

When Steve was talking about the stylus, he was talking about the user interface to control the device. He found that touch was the most intuitive and efficient interface to control a mobile OS, over carrying a stylus and tapping the screen with that. I would agree.

When Tim Cook talks about the Apple Pencil, he's talking about the user interface to draw and add functionality that the finger can't really do. He's not talking about replacing the finger. Most people find that a pencil is the most intuitive and efficient interface to sketch photographs. I would agree.
The problem I see Steve having would be he may want seamless user experience, not carrying a pencil around . With iPad MAYBE I can but what your saying. But 1000% not with iPhone.

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The problem I see Steve having would be he may want seamless user experience, not carrying a pencil around . With iPad MAYBE I can but what your saying. But 1000% not with iPhone.

Okay, that makes more sense. Still, even if the Apple Pencil was compatible on iPhone, it doesn't mean you have to carry it around. It's not replacing the existing UI. It just enables an option (drawing) if you need it.

Comment

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Respectfully, the Apple Pencil isn't quite marketed for 'normal people'; it's more of a niche product, specifically for graphic design. Unless every Tom, Dick, and Harry work at Pixar!
That does kind of backup what Gooberton said. Some may like it or have a use for it, but to say that the technology will put the demand for the IP7 "off-the-charts" is more than a slight exaggeration.

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Comment

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
It would be a really good idea. I already have a Pencil for my iPad, but I'd be a lot more inclined to use it if I could jot down notes quickly on my iPhone. Say, force-touch the Notes app and 'New Pencil note' or something.
Yep but Apple needs to find a way to stow the pencil when not used. Because that thing floating in a bag or a pocket is a loss waiting to happen.

Comment

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Please no pencil support now. That would be the only reason for me to upgrade from my 6s Plus and I planned to keep it for at least three years. :oops:

Comment

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
The pencil goes against everything Steve believed in, anyone who thinks different has no clue

Let me quote...
When Steve said that "if you see a stylus, they blew it", the time was when phones were around 3.5 in display and having a stylus made no sense. You would have to keep a stylus that was bigger than the phone itself and using it was more of a headache. So,Apple went with the Multi touch. Your fingers were enough to explore the 3.5" screen where the applications were limited to calling, texting, browsing and playing games and the iPhones did that well with the hands only.

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
That does kind of backup what Gooberton said. Some may like it or have a use for it, but to say that the technology behind it will put the demand for the IP7 "off-the-charts" is more than a slight exaggeration.

That's a very fair point!

On another note, either my ignore list is working, or the forums seem very courteous today. Some real thoughtful, polite disagreements. :)

Comment

ndalum

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Oregon
If the iPhone can support a pencil then why can't the iPad support 3D Touch? I actually love 3D Touch on my iPhone

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.