Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Did the interviewer not follow up that question? I'm no journalism major but when your subject says something interesting, YOU ASK MORE QUESTIONS
You're correct. But in this case, we're talking about John Gruber. He's best described as a "pundit" (and a "tech pundit" at that).

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
For me Apple Pencil seems to be unpractical to use on an iPhone.
Maybe a smaller version of the Pencil on some 5.5" or bigger iPhone Pro this or next year? Don't know, I think he misspoke.

Fat chance. He's the CEO of the company, which happens to have a rather small number of products. More likely they're either integrating Pencil support into the iPhone or they've demoed it internally and he's seen firsthand how it works.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I reeeeeeally hope that the Mini does get Pencil support, too. It'd be awesome on the iPhone, but the Mini would really be my ideal mobile note taking device. I don't want an iPhone Plus as i like the Mini's considerably larger screen better and the fact that you don't need to buy a cellular version. Saying that a Plus is a suitable replacement for the Mini is like saying that the 9.7' iPad is a suitable replacement for the Pro, IMO. Size wise they just fill two different niches.

Doesn't Messages in iOS 10 support handwritten messages/drawings? Notes too. I could see this working...

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw them introduce handwritten iMessages a few months ago. It seems like Pencil support would be a great fit for that, as well as all the drawing tools in the native Notes app.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
we all know that steve meant a stylus being needed instead of a finger as the main input. That would be true of windows 10, where a stylus is offered because a finger is insufficient to operate software adequately as it's designed for a pointer or mouse type input. I see windows 10 as a failure on that front. Compared to the iPad that uses both anywhere.

I would love to see the apple stylus (can't call it a pencil) available across all devices bar the apple watch. Even on the macbook pros would be interesting, especially for artists. You don't need to put in a touch screen on the macbook pro but pencil support with some kind of screen hinge. But alas that will never happen.

Reactions: 8692574

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
Apple Pencil is absolutely amazing in its functionality. I paint quite a bit on the iPad, and really considered upgrading to pro after I gave the pencil a test run. If it only was within my budget.

On the other hand, while its nice to have the feature on the iPhone, I am sure no one would upgrade a phone for that feature. The target segment is only the iPad pro users, who already have a pencil, which is a fairly small subset of iPhone users. Not even they would upgrade their phones for the ability to use the pencil on it. Well, maybe a few would, but certainly not enough for Apple to spend a lot to include the feature. And I certainly can't imagine anyone buying a 100 dollar pencil to use it with the phone

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
yeah i'd say this was inevitable. and Steve would give it a thumbs up for sure. he was marketing the first highly usable touch-screen for a phone back when 3.5" was MASSIVE in the industry. companies lambasted apple for their 'big obnoxious screen' in desperation. then the phablets started coming...

point is, a stylus was always a great idea for mobile devices, just not in 2007.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
The problem I see Steve having would be he may want seamless user experience, not carrying a pencil around . With iPad MAYBE I can but what your saying. But 1000% not with iPhone.

Problem with that is you don't have to carry the pencil around to use the device. Most of those stylus phones Steve was referring to required a stylus to operate.

Reactions: 8692574

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Wrong. Steve Jobs hated a stylus-ONLY input systems, not stylus AND capacitative touch. It's sure to come to iPhone sooner or later, anyway - and thank goodness for that!
Ha. They're effectively the same thing! He hated the concept of the stylus full stop. Steve wasn't specific about it like you presume.
Steve, says: "Who wants a stylus? You have to get them, and put them away, and lose them, YUCK!!.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Ha. They're effectively the same thing! He hated the concept of the stylus full stop. Steve wasn't specific about it like you presume.
Steve, says: "Who wants a stylus? You have to get them, and put them away, and lose them, YUCK!!.
Did you miss communicate? it implies navigate! / use the Ui....

And pointing device...... Apple pencil is a drawing / writing device not a pointing device.....

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
It implies the whole experience.
If you take it out of the context yes....but we all knew what he meant!

Look before the part you conveniently cut... he is talking about navigating an interface and comparing it to the mouse!

Last edited:

tw1ll

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Tim Cook demonstrates the only known use for an iPencil (& the rumoured to be announced today - iPants).....

blackadder_fagin.jpg

Reactions: ohio.emt

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
And there's the discourse of the day ... "we all knew..." - please, don't include me, I can speak for myself. Sheesh.
Watch around 6:30 And around min 8:20 of the video I posted, if you still don't get it you might need a comprehension course!
We (except you) got that!

Edit if you watched more than the 40 sec posted before you' d have got that too!

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
If you take it out of the context yes....but we all knew what he meant!

Look before the part you conveniently cut... he is talking about navigating an interface and comparing it to the mouse!
First, I didn't conveniently cut the video, second, he's talking about using the device, all apps. It's pretty clear he hated any additional items to use the device. Apple is moving on this is because Samsung Galaxy uses the stylus set up.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Naturally, here come the comments about Steve's stylus quote.

I'm sure this has all been said before, but did any of you ever use a device that came with a stylus 10 years ago? They required a stylus. They would not work without one. The screens didn't work with fingers. Finger input (and especially multitouch) changed the game in this market. Styluses then became a simple marker of primitive and limited hardware.

Sure, the Pencil has similarities with a stylus, but a Pencil is not a simple stylus. The Pencil expands the use of the device. I can still use an iPad without it, but there are limits to what fingers can do. The Pencil greatly increases the creative capabilities of these devices.

Remember the arguments about how an iPad is great for content consumption, but not for content curation? Sketching on the iPad with fingers was pretty ordinary, mostly because fingers are not fine or precise. The Pencil gets around that limitation. So what's the problem with expanding what a device can do by adding another type of input?

I simply don't buy the argument by people who rehash the stylus quote. Yes, it looks like a stylus, but the context is very different.

Having said that, would Steve have let the Pencil go to market? Honestly, who knows? Perhaps not. But that's not really the point. The point is that his quote had a specific meaning in a specific context. Things have changed a lot since then.
Bravo. Very well said and you're 100% spot on.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
If you want a pencil with your phone so much,.,get the Note 7.. samsung is the only company who has done a good job with having a smart pen built into the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.