Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
2nd paragraph I'm not being antagonistic I rarely comment here, this was ur original post. Notice the second paragraph it's one of the weird comparisons u made. I'm not making it up. I pointed out that u went off topic and way wayyyyy out of the scope of the conversation and u accused ME of misunderstanding a point.

Perhaps if went back to my first post in this thread it would be a little bit clearer. The post you keep referring to wasn't my original post in this thread. But whatever, think what you want. :)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Common guys, how old are you?
Its simple: Innovation=Apple because the other make the same ideas after them.
iphone 2007, after that everyone do that idea
ipad, after that the market is full of tablets
idea of retina in larger displays, after that the others do that
idea of mac pro build, i am sure this year someone else will start to make, and in 2015 the market will be full

Inovation now days = one idea that all others follows it

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
So?

Antec had that skeleton case, nothing out there before and after they made it.

Its a small form factor workstation. Nice but for a consumer oriented company that to make this had virtually withdraw from the pro market its just an nice feat of engineering.

To be innovative they should actually make a product that causes an evolution .

I dont see why an imac thats a couple of % thinner then other aio's should be called innovative .

And no different from what others had done or are doing.
Yes a nice feat of engendering while making an expandable machine with virtually no noise, and a very small footprint while energy efficient and much faster than most comparable solutions out there, including it predecessor. By your measure no computer has been innovative since the original Macintosh. And if that's the case then you have very high standards for innovation. I never suggest the iMac was innovation I have the new one and hate that I can't put an sad in there and make it a fusion drive, yet it is IMO the best all in one available as is.

Its also not very usefull, tried to use but didnt really find anything were it would be usefull for me.

yeah I disagree but thats usualy personal

I still prefer my non walled macbook for general computing then my ipad/iphone.

And dont take this personal, I never said anything about google/android or nexus .

But if you do mention them what I would like to see is apple think more in the lines of google glass/smartwatches. And not in the lines of "what do we need to do to shave another mm of the imac/ipad/mac pro" or

"lets rework the ios style again"

You are correct usage is the measuring element, and a smaller form factor workstation doenst give me any other usage neither does the thinner imac. On the contrary my previous imac I was able to fix outside warranty, with the new thats virtually impossible.

And no thats not a coincidence.

Also I mentioned many companies in my posts used google as an example and didn't trash talk them and yes the smart glass is an amazing idea and I'm sad that google will probably drop the ball. Ios works and the minor tweaks are improving that and it has much room for growth no need to start over and work all of the elements of the design just tweak certain areas to make it more intuitive same as osx and any UI for a personal computing device in the las 20 years has evolved because it works if every 2 years you had to relearn how to use ur devices I'm pretty sure ud hate that. Yet improvement in usability is always welcome. Ios is easy and fast to use I see no need to rework it. My mac and my iPad are used for different scenarios. Yet there is nothing I have tried to do on my iPad that I have said there is no way to do this at all!

I can download music(iDownloads, music D/L), vnc to my mac(VNC Viewer, Screens VNC) , ssh to my linux server(iSSH, server auditor), run network tests remotely(iNetTools), edit files (pages, google drive) save them to cloud storage and even my local mac storage with a combo of apple script and dropbox, I can stream movies from my home computer using apps like plex, the list goes on. the only limit is the place where I can download apps from and even then that can be solved with a jailbreak(I haven't needed a jailbreak since ios 4) I have no lap top and have no need for one, just because things are done different on the iPad and iPhone that does not mean it can't be done it's not a laptop, yet can do most off the tasks a laptop can do all it takes is a search of the App Store, u wanna use amazon music instead of iTunes? Look at an app called iDownloads + lets u download just about anything and gives u a file system to work with, even syncs with iTunes and lets u upload to dropbox, let's u open zip files, izip lets u unarchive just about anything. The wall garden is not as crippling as people make it seems so u use the App Store instead of safari to download the apps.....

I fail to see what the big crippling effect is with the walled garden.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Samsung's curved display is not their innovation? Samsung is the first one brought phablet on the market. Samsung also had lots of innovation on home electronics. Samsung is also the first one combining the phone and camera. I am confused, how is Samsung not innovative?

Oh yes the smart tv that requires a reboot of the router for the inbuilt wifi to work every time u to use the smart hub.
Requires 4remote controls - a remote that requires a look at it because the buttons are so compactly squished together.
Voice and motion controls which don't work unless u shout / wave like your on fire.

Examples of poorly implemented 'paper features' crap

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I know there have been tons of rumors of an iTV and iWatch swirling these last few years. But I can't really fathom how Apple would be able to pull off a revolution in those market segments like they did with iPod/iPhone/iPad. I just don't see what they could do.

But then again it's Apple. I've learned to never underestimate them.

I don't think going into TVs makes sense for Apple. I could imagine a much improved Apple TV box. Not for what it costs today.

I don't think that taking a Samsung Gear and improving it somewhat would be something that any number of people outside a small minority would want. On the other hand, I think creating a watch-like device that does useful things that I would want is possible, but difficult.

----------

Simple evolutions of what was done before, and mostly bought or off the shelve from other companies.

You mean Apple pays when they use someone else's technology or design?
Samsung, heard that?

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
Common guys, how old are you?
Its simple: Innovation=Apple because the other make the same ideas after them.
iphone 2007, after that everyone do that idea
Actually I had an Ericsson R380 in 2000 or 2001, can't remember exactly. It was a smartphone with a touch screen, icons that started apps, web browser, email, calculator, notepad etc. And really good handwriting recognition.

When the iPhone came, many years later, I was not impressed in the slightest. It was a fashion product with capabilities not much different, it just had newer technologies assembled together by Apple.

ipad, after that the market is full of tablets
idea of retina in larger displays, after that the others do that
Hardly innovation. They simply take an existing product and make it bigger or integrate a higher resolution display, as the technology advances.

What Apple is really good at is selling products. This is because they make fashion technology, and people really like fashion.

You're confusing sales (driven by hype/feel-good/coolness factor) with innovation.

Apple is not an innovative company. They're an excellent integrator, they are very skilled at using their financial weight to gamble in absorbing new tech into their products (not every gamble paid off), and they are utterly brilliant at incorporating fashion into their products.

They're the Burberry of the tech world. But innovative, not really. They just don't do anything fundamentally new.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
You know, this was my favorite company for a long time, not just because of their products but because of their stock. They seem to be losing it. Even though their products are still definitely the best (for the most part), I'm afraid that it won't be that way forever.

as Apple's biggest fan nothing stays on top forever ;) even I have to admit that.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
First share the joint I'm out second only in your fantasy land does a computer manufacturer make their own chips to manufacture a computer and single component bench marks mean very little take a stroll to anandtech and read their review of the mac to see that it's the whole implementation that counts not the components in the machine that make a difference, the hardware working together with other hardware components as well as software.

People waited a year (years) for this new MacPro

And what Apple came up with was just the same, or even lower spec than someone could of sat at home, ordered the parts on-line and screwed together on their mums dining table.

Only real different is Apple one is in a smaller box and has a cool logo on the front.

Yay.

----------

What Apple is really good at is selling products. This is because they make fashion technology, and people really like fashion.

Bang on the money, nail on the head.

Apple is "cool / hip / trendy / the product to be seen with"

Nothing else matters.

If Apple specs are higher then, yay our product is better cos the specs are better.
If Apple specs are lower, no-one cares about specs, it's the user experience that matters.

It's like a Nike shirt of lower quality than the unbranded one.
The unbranded one is just no cool and no amount of facts will ever make it cool as it does not have the logo printed on the front.

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
Whether it's this year or the next, I feel there is something big coming.

I think people are confusing innovation with entering new product categories when in reality it's not the same thing. In fact, if you want innovation, you don't have to look further than 2013 as Apple's most innovative yet (iPad air, A7 chip, mac pro to just name a few). Apple is certainly innovating, just not in the same way as other companies where all they're after is another line on a features list. this has always been how apple innovated. if nothing else, the number of new patents that apple applies for should make you believe that they continue to innovate.

In a way, i appreciate apple's restraint because it prevents them from being an all-things-to-all-people company. it's a sign that they haven't lost their focus.

We are all waiting for apple to release the next big thing and I believe that's coming. it may not be this year or the next but rest assured, it's on it's way. I have full confidence in Apple's leadership that they can pull it off once again.

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
…snip

Bang on the money, nail on the head.

Apple is "cool / hip / trendy / the product to be seen with"

Nothing else matters.

If Apple specs are higher then, yay our product is better cos the specs are better.
If Apple specs are lower, no-one cares about specs, it's the user experience that matters.

It's like a Nike shirt of lower quality than the unbranded one.
The unbranded one is just no cool and no amount of facts will ever make it cool as it does not have the logo printed on the front.

to their defence you'd have a hard time finding a product providing similar qualities on both hardware and software without that logo. did it ever occur to you that their approach to software design might be the root cause of the trend? and that good industrial design simply adds to that experience on further levels?

what i find intriguing is that to the user their identity seems more expressed through the software and hardware than their graphical signature, unlike other manufacturers that feels like showing their logo up your face while using their product. apple does the opposite, which must annoy the hell out of you.

Breenston

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2014

Have you tried iOS 7?? It's the equivalent of Windows ME for mobile devices.

So what do Apple have in store for us in terms of pushing the technological boundaries?

Bigger iPhone.
Bigger iPad.
Maybe make some in bright colours.

Samsung must be absolutely terrified.

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
to their defence you'd have a hard time finding a product providing similar qualities on both hardware and software without that logo
I think there's a wealth of alternatives out there. Not all are better, although some perhaps are (Carbon vs Air, for example), and some are much better value for money (Nexus 7 vs iPad retina mini, for example). Throughout the years plenty of companies had better products. When I bought my old Lenovo T61p in 2007, which had a 1920x1200 15.4" display there was no MacBook Pro that could hold a candle to it. Lenovo didn't claim they re-invented the wheel, although that display had the highest DPI on the market. Apple integrated years later a slightly better one and claimed they did.

I remember the G4/G5 and how awfully slow they were compared to similarly priced x86 systems, but that was the "Apple way", and when Apple abandoned that sinking boat and switched to x86 processors, that was more cutting edge "Apple innovation".

Software wise, while debatable, I think that both iOS is a much simpler/less featured OS compared to Android, and OSX is a mix of new and old fashion UI on an old fashion UNIX. Both Windows and Linux feel more functional and modern to me from most points of view.

To claim that Apple is somehow at the technological bleeding edge is frankly absurd. They've pretty much never been at the technological bleeding edge. They took other people's innovation and put it in shiny white plastic and aluminium enclosures, with colourful icons featuring patented rounded corners, and people went gaga for that, which is fair enough, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
In the context of this thread, he meant fingerprint scanner that works well on a phone. Apple doesn't specialize in any other industry. Context is important and there's no need to be obtuse.

Funny how the "context" around here is always that nobody does anything well before Apple.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
...Cook said that innovation is "deeply embedded" in everyone at Apple and that the company has "no issue" coming up with new projects to work on....

That is pure corporate talk.

PROVE IT. The proof is in actions, and you haven't done much more than revise the MacPro since Jobs passed.

Maybe they have new products coming down the pike. Are they GOOD ideas? Will they be of use to the average consumer?

Apple could have been improving all their products, but half of them are left to rot in the background. For a company showing such amazing profits, they certainly don't behave like a well-managed company with amazing profits and a desire to keep current with their entire (rather slim) product line.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
What did Samsung ever come up with on their own? Other than a watch that nobody wants?

The phablet. Everyone laughed when they launched the original Note series with s-pen. Today it has spawned many others to make even bigger phones. The general public has spoken. Large phones sale.
Apple is too profit greedy to release a phablet because iPad sales would tank. If Apple could they would continue to ram smaller iPhone's down the peoples throat in order to sale a larger tablet. The day you see a 6" Apple phablet is the day you see Apple competing again. But by then bendable phones that transform will be the rage; goes in the pocket as a 4" device but unfolds into 6". Apple will not have a answer for that.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Or completely revamped, like the Mac Pro. It's not a new "product category" but the entire concept to me is something that shows Apple at it's best.

Exactly, they looked at how 'most' people used the old mac pro and discovered that most had no extra cards installed and only one hard drive. Then they took that discovery and made a machine that fits that usage mode perfectly with the option to bolt on the extras for those that need them. So now you don't have to have a huge mostly empty box on your desk when you don't need it and if you need expandability can use an external chassis to do it. Its a total rethink of the desktop workstation concept which is what Apple have traditionally been good at.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Yes a nice feat of engendering while making an expandable machine with virtually no noise,
and a very small footprint while energy efficient and much faster than most
comparable solutions out there, including it predecessor.
Its not faster then others, its les expandable and less easy expandable then others.
But yes its footprint is lower, more energy efficient? Barely(if any) I would presume as its uses virtually same components.

So you have a lower footprint as virtually the only advantage and for companies apple has worse warranty options then others in that market, less options forcing you to either have different hardware vendors (always pita)
or buy expensive hardware you barely use.

This product as a lot of disadvantages and the only true advantage is it takes up less deskspace and looks great. Sorry for me a workstations doesnt need to excell in those area's.

As I said this is more for either very small companies or people at home who want to showoff, I doubt plenty of people buying will actually use its full power.

By your measure no computer has been innovative since the original Macintosh.
And if that's the case then you have very high standards for innovation.
I never suggest the iMac was innovation I have the new one and hate that I can't put an sad in there and make it a fusion drive, yet it is IMO the best all in one available as is.
Thats simply not true, the first imac design was that as well, great form factor fast stable, ... but thats a decade ago .

The ipod and its clickwheel

Plenty of examples in the past that had nothing to do with thinner/faster but more a better way of doing things.

Also I mentioned many companies in my posts used google as an example and didn't trash talk them and
yes the smart glass is an amazing idea and I'm sad that google will probably drop the ball.
The product on itself is already innovative beyond anything apple did the last couple of years.

Ios works and the minor tweaks are improving that and it has much room for growth
no need to start over and work all of the elements of the design just tweak certain areas to make it more intuitive
same as osx and any UI for a personal computing device in the las 20 years has evolved because it works

I am talking about the looks not the usability. A lot of the changes in ios 7 are pure cosmetics.

I can ...
And I can do that easier/simpler and just as portable with my macbook air.

I mainly use ipad for some surfing, reading books & comics .

I tried to use it for writing/gaming but just too limited clunky .

I fail to see what the big crippling effect is with the walled garden.
I use whats app instead of immesage ebcause half the people I message to dont have an iphone.

Do explain how is that any better?
The same can be said for a very large number of user cases that are simply crippeled because apple wants that garden and more important you in it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think Tim Cook needs to put the spurs to R&D department. Compared to others, they spend a lot less and I think the lack of innovation is worrying both investors and apple fans.

What have they done since Jobs passed on? Made their products thinner and used a higher pixel density displays in their laptop. True the nMP is a design marvel but it is years over due.

Did Tim Cook promise last year that new products were going to be rolling out? He needs to hold people accountable.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
You mean Apple pays when they use someone else's technology or design?
Samsung, heard that?

Yes apple only invents never copies. Even Jobs himself with his "good artists copy, great artisis steal" never refrained once to use something that didnt sprout from his brain.

Apple good, samsung bad, repeat after me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
You have got to be joking.

How long did it take to come up with iPhone and bring to market?

According to Steve Jobs, it took them two years. At least that's what he said in his keynote: "I've been waiting for this moment for TWO years."

An let's say it as it is: When a company with more than 80,000 employees supports only a fistful of products and only manages to release thinner and faster versions of the already existing ones, then I wonder where that innovation is Apple keeps boasting about. After the original iPad was released, they've only brought minor evolutionary releases of already existing products to the market. I think that's called "model upgrading" - Modellpflege. Innovation is too big a word for it, but of course it sounds better in interviews and advertisements.

Apple's not focusing on innovative products, they're just focusing on milking their cash cows. After all, they're just another American corporation.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Its not faster then others, its les expandable and less easy expandable then others.

But yes its footprint is lower, more energy efficient? Barely(if any) I would presume as its uses virtually same components.

So you have a lower footprint as virtually the only advantage and for companies apple has worse warranty options then others in that market, less options forcing you to either have different hardware vendors (always pita)

or buy expensive hardware you barely use.

This product as a lot of disadvantages and the only true advantage is it takes up less deskspace and looks great. Sorry for me a workstations doesnt need to excell in those area's.

As I said this is more for either very small companies or people at home who want to showoff, I doubt plenty of people buying will actually use its full power.

Thats simply not true, the first imac design was that as well, great form factor fast stable, ... but thats a decade ago .

The ipod and its clickwheel

Plenty of examples in the past that had nothing to do with thinner/faster but more a better way of doing things.

The product on itself is already innovative beyond anything apple did the last couple of years.

I am talking about the looks not the usability. A lot of the changes in ios 7 are pure cosmetics.

And I can do that easier/simpler and just as portable with my macbook air.

I mainly use ipad for some surfing, reading books & comics .

I tried to use it for writing/gaming but just too limited clunky .

I use whats app instead of immesage ebcause half the people I message to dont have an iphone.

Do explain how is that any better?

The same can be said for a very large number of user cases that are simply crippeled because apple wants that garden and more important you in it.

I'm sorry but I'll have to respond to this, first go check out the review from a anand on the Mac Pro and it's competition then come back a tell me more about similarly priced machines being faster and better I know it's a 10 page read but try......

As for the original iMac, u just repeated what I said it was basically a nicer packaging of what was available at the time..... The iPod and it's click wheel and the touch UI of the iPhone, don't forget the multitouch track pad u can get with any iMac today is there a comparison out there from anyone else for gesture based multitasking on the desktop?? Again it doesn't feel like ur arguing against my point but for it.....

Again I never argued the 2013 iMac was an innovation.... As a matter of fact I agreed that my inability to make changes to it was a set back.

Ios 7 need evolution more then revolution is what I'm trying to say, it needs improvements, and GUI is most of what makes up ease of use, cosmetic changes as u call them, let's see control center, the remake of notification center, the look and feel of folders on the home screen, app switching cards yes ios 7 got new icons THATs it's biggest accomplishments not all the new Apis that it made available to developers...... That's narrow minded.....

Easier or not I don't own a mac laptop only a iMac I run as a server and my iPad mini from where I control it on the go. We have different needs, it seems and a MacBook Air would not be able to run an apache server, a plex media server, along side a mail service with my domain, and an open directory. A Mac Pro would be great for me but I can't afford one, so I went for the thin iMac and I'll tell u now it's a beast.

And your ability to use what's app is what makes this walled garden not as walled as u say, u have options u use whatsapp others use Facebook messenger, google hangout, viber, or skype, and non of them work with the other same as iMessage so again what's ur point???? iMessage has the advantage of being transparent to the user, in other words u don't have to do much to use it, it just works, well most of the time again apple makes great stuff but not 100% flawless at ios 7 launch there were activation issues with iMessage..... Yet I use it because it's just there.... I can turn it off and use watsapp but why would I if it works???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.