Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Now this is an interesting variation of Augmented Reality.

I think Tim's optimism adds context to his statement:

"AR can be really great. We have been and continue to invest a lot in this. We're high on AR...."

Reactions: Demo Kit

RodDavies

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
IF the iPhone 7 looks like this with that Mt Vesuvius camera bulge I wont be buying it.

The "Pro" with the longer bulge to accommodate the dual lens IS a lot more elegant, though it's still not really pretty.

The specs of that may make me buy it if they are a step ahead, a big step ahead, of my iP6s+

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Looks down at my 6+... is this my 3rd one? Maybe. Never really loved it. Not like that first time I used a 4.

My comment was more about the quality of the iPhone(s), rather than me loving it. My first one freaked out on me, so I got a second one at the genius bar, which went mental and I got a third one. One 'new', and now two 'used', and the first 'used' didn't last very long. So much for their refurbishment process.

Prior to the 5, they seemed to last longer than the 6+ I had. Are they more complicated, or poorly engineered/built, or is this just me being picky. I do my share to try to keep them alive. I'm thinking that it's like most of our 'New American Century', it's being designed to be 'disposable', and some aren't lasting through the warranty period.

It's sad. Someone slammed the original iPhone, but I'm sure there are still some 'out there', and they are still working. I still see people with 4's and 5's, so maybe he's hoping they will get the 7 as an upgrade.

For the record, I do love the size of the 6+.
[doublepost=1469616068][/doublepost]
I agree. Imagine if Apple wanted us to upgrade our 1000$ laptops every 2 years. We'd be rolling on the floor laughing everyday.

Or we would be using Windows... o_O
[doublepost=1469616317][/doublepost]
IF the iPhone 7 looks like this with that Mt Vesuvius camera bulge I wont be buying it.

The "Pro" with the longer bulge to accommodate the dual lens IS a lot more elegant, though it's still not really pretty.

The specs of that may make me buy it if they are a step ahead, a big step ahead, of my iP6s+

I was shocked/disgusted by the 'tumor' of the lens on the Touch, but the case I got actually was thicker than the 'growth', and I really don't notice it. They seem to want to push people into the case market. I'm sure that segment of the 'Apple Ecosystem' isn't complaining. At least about that. Having more timely specs for new case design is probably their main gripe. Oh, and the minor tweaks between some releases making the old cases not work. (iPad Air/Air 2)
[doublepost=1469616576][/doublepost]
You are kidding, right? iPhone 6 was sold out for weeks! 6S was easy to get but 6 was a nightmare

And yet nearly two years ago I was able to snag two 128 6+'s at the Chicago Apple Store, at the same time. There was a really long line of people, and I walked in, and out, and wondered why I was able to do that, and they were lining up. I mean, this wasn't London England, where people que up to fart. Or do they...

I ordered them online for pickup. I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Well I hope Apple sees good things. I'm using the BLU R1 HD as my backup phone right now and I have to say the experience is fairly nice. And this phone cost $60 from Amazon. I know folks think the $200 Chinese phones are serious competition. But this price point and the possibility of getting support from Amazon (like maybe even some OS updates) could be a game changer. Now I get enough use out of my phones that I'm pretty much always going to carry the Apple flagship or at most keep my iPhone two years. But if I were budget constrained or just not that interested in living a mobile lifestyle, I'd have to seriously consider going with a super cheap phone.
[doublepost=1469617568][/doublepost]
More evidence that the Apple Watch could be killed off, I actually think it will be. No mention of its sales seperate to other products yet again, no update produced yet and it's over a year I believe, and only a rumour from digitimes which are pretty bad with getting things right. A price cut to tease more sales and never ending new watch straps one cares about.

No chance. It is a new market and Apple is dominating it. Reports are that watchOS 3.0 radically improves the usefulness of the current watch. And since they never leak hardware updates on these calls, you can't read anything into them not mentioning one.

I think the watch is mainly a biometric touch point coupled with a convenient Siri connection point. As Siri and home kit and other factors become more powerful and interconnected, having Siri right there on your wrist could be the killer app for the watch. And the watch will be the only place to get the biometric information.

Reactions: IJ Reilly

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
They are all idiots building products for a category no one cares about comes to mind.
[doublepost=1469608800][/doublepost]

Waiting time......ha ha ha ..... Keep dreaming, those days have passed. Unless your sad enough to line up the night before. Just turn up at lunch of the launch day and pick one up. The 6S was the easier iPhone ever to get. Last difficult one was the 5S
But if you didn't order it straight away the wait time was still 3-5 weeks

There was still serious demand

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
But if you didn't order it straight away the wait time was still 3-5 weeks

There was still serious demand

You are correct, also the 6s and 6s Plus broke Apple's own record on initial sales. The 6s was a successful phone and it was difficult to get even here in the UK, when it was first released. I didn't get one, I'm still with my 6 Plus, but a few of my friends did order and they had to wait a few weeks.

http://news.sky.com/story/apples-iphone-6s-breaks-companys-sales-record-10344829

https://www.engadget.com/2015/09/28/apple-iphone-6s-sales-record/

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/apple-iphone-6s-record-sales-13-million-1201603776/

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You are correct, also the 6s and 6s Plus broke Apple's own record on initial sales. The 6s was a successful phone and it was difficult to get even here in the UK, when it was first released. I didn't get one, I'm still with my 6 Plus, but a few of my friends did order and they had to wait a few weeks.

http://news.sky.com/story/apples-iphone-6s-breaks-companys-sales-record-10344829

https://www.engadget.com/2015/09/28/apple-iphone-6s-sales-record/

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/apple-iphone-6s-record-sales-13-million-1201603776/
Yep I ordered the min it was available so I got it on time but plenty I know didn't.

I imagine same kind of thing happens this year. I will be on Hoilday when the 7 is out. So I likely wouldn't get it on time if I decide to buy it

Not decided yet

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yep I ordered the min it was available so I got it on time but plenty I know didn't.

I imagine same kind of thing happens this year. I will be on Hoilday when the 7 is out. So I likely wouldn't get it on time if I decide to buy it

Not decided yet

I will be buying the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, i'm using a 6 Plus at the moment. Whether i'll be getting one on release date i don't know, depending on when pre-orders go live, i may be at work :eek: but i'll try and pre-order if i can from my iPhone with Apple Pay if it's possible ;)

Reactions: The Game 161

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
  • Clunky, ugly iOS? Check.
  • Potentially clunky, ugly iPhone 7? Check.
  • Likely still lacking weather resistance? Check.
  • Protruding camera? Check.
  • Possibly no headphone jack? Check.
  • No concrete "can't-live-without" feature? Check.
Great job, Tim. Day-one buy.
This is the kind of post that makes me avoid this place.
This is trolling of the worst kind, and the fact that its tolerated here is a joke.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Let's be honest. The 7 will not be as magical as Tim says but not a flop like so many expect it to be.

Yea I don't see it selling as much as the iPhone 6 did but I don't see it see it being bad either, don't forget the 6s did well. I think it might target people who like myself didn't upgrade to the 6s.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Yea I don't see it selling as much as the iPhone 6 did but I don't see it see it being bad either, don't forget the 6s did well. I think it might target people who like myself didn't upgrade to the 6s.

I can see the 7 having sales and upgrade rates similar to the 6S. Even though it doesn't appear to have enough major new features so far from the leaks/rumors, it has enough of an external change that people who want the latest and greatest in their hands will see enough to buy it.

Grahamps

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It sounds like it's just me that's looking forward to upgrading the 5S this year to a significantly faster phone, with a (presumably) much, much improved camera. My 5S photos have failed to impress me like my 4S used to, lacking a subjective emotional quality. And, a few weeks ago at dinner, when he was showing off some web development work he'd done, I was impressed by how fast a friends 6S was; I want that speed, and then some!

I do use my headphone jack on a daily basis with my 2001 Jeep's tape deck. F*@k it, I'll work around that limitation.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I can see the 7 having sales and upgrade rates similar to the 6S. Even though it doesn't appear to have enough major new features so far from the leaks/rumors, it has enough of an external change that people who want the latest and greatest in their hands will see enough to buy it.

Yea I think there may just be enough changes, if the haptic home button rumour is true and it sits flush, along with removal of lower antenna band, a much bigger and better camera (dual camera for the 5.5" version) removal of the headphone jack, a 256GB storage option and a space black colour option. We could see people updating at the same rate as the 6S, I will be upgrading from my iPhone 6 Plus, so it may even appeal to those of us who currently have the 6 or 6 Plus and want to upgrade!

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
The iPhone 6 was significantly higher than that and it likely accelerated upgrades that would have been in the current year ahead of those. So what the future holds, we'll see, but I'm very optimistic about the future because I see so many signs that are positive

That's concerning. That, to me, almost entirely confirms that the iPhone released this September will not be the new model refresh as I expected, but instead a minor bump. That is disappointing because I'm ready to upgrade but I will not miss out on whatever brand new model is going to presumably come out next year. So I will pass.

I hope this decision doesn't really hurt Apple, if people end up holding out for the refresh version the bump. With phone sales declining already, to break the upgrade cycle now is just a horrible move.

AVEGA

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2016
Austin TX
I hope iphone 7 is a a flop and has the worst sales of all phones. I love my 6S+ but Apple needs a big failure to wake them up. They have become too complacent and not innovative or unique anymore and have been selling under powered and over priced computers for too long. I remember back in the day when Macs were considered top of the line and were comparable and better than PC and it was a real value for the consumer.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I hope iphone 7 is a a flop and has the worst sales of all phones. I love my 6S+ but Apple needs a big failure to wake them up. They have become too complacent and not innovative or unique anymore and have been selling under powered and over priced computers for too long. I remember back in the day when Macs were considered top of the line and were comparable and better than PC and it was a real value for the consumer.

Do you have a 5K iMac by chance? I want to be fair here and say this computer is 100x better than any PC I've come across all around. I am well aware the Macbook Pro's have been neglected though.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

ChrisNH

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
southern New Hampshire
Cook is putting lipstick on a Pig. It's an appealing and friendly pig, sure. But he's noting 'positive' signs, which can be accurately construed as a 1% bump over the 6S. You can describe almost anything as a 'positive sign' as long as your definition of it is comfortable.

The words 'positive signs' in this case don't conjure up images from 2010 when people were lining up outside of stores as though it were a Coldplay concert.

With the iPhone 8 sunny skies will return for Apple in 2017, and so will the lines outside of stores. Getting from here to there is going to take some creativity on their part. And no sign of TVs or cars anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.